Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #16
Aux

This question is more like about Android devices Pentax was always providing firmware updates when needed. The thing is that you buy camera once, then you buy LENSES from Pentax. So good support for cameras is vital - it will make more lens sales. And since lenses today cost A LOT it is pretty obvious that Pentax will not drop support for cameras. And there is evidence as monochrome and others said.

DSLR market is different. It's more like printer market when manufacturers care less about devices and more about peripherals for them.

06-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It's good to hear everyone's positive about more firmware updates, but it also seems logical that you'll only get so many updates per camera, do anyone know more or less what the average is since the first Pentax DSLR?
06-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
It's good to hear everyone's positive about more firmware updates, but it also seems logical that you'll only get so many updates per camera, do anyone know more or less what the average is since the first Pentax DSLR?
The K100D from 2006 only ever got 2 updates, the K-30 has had 4 in 9 months. I don't think there's any rules being followed in this, it's just pot luck. My Samsung £220 P&S never got any updates when it was crying out for some really simple interface ones.
06-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Your logic is reasonable but the facts argue against it. Pentax is no longer owned by Hoya. Ricoh has a long history of legacy support for their products and have promised to continue to support camera bodies with new firmware a couple times a year. They have already proven that they are more willing than Hoya to do so by adding new features to cameras via firmware that are also available in newer products still in production like focus peaking being added to the original Q when the Q10 is available. Past performance under Hoya is therefore not a predictor of performance going forward under Ricoh.

06-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm not sure your question is all that relevant. Most (granted, not all) firmware updates on cameras are to fix bugs or deficiencies. Those are generally all discovered and fixed before too long. It's much different than with a smartphone or computer. There, updates introduce new features or substantially alter existing ones.
06-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I'm not sure your question is all that relevant. Most (granted, not all) firmware updates on cameras are to fix bugs or deficiencies. Those are generally all discovered and fixed before too long. It's much different than with a smartphone or computer. There, updates introduce new features or substantially alter existing ones.
Ricoh's FW upgrade policy (and now Pentax's policy) is to regularly introduce new features to older cameras, much the same as software updates for computers and phones. An example is the addition of Focus Peaking to the original Q when the Q10 was introduced - that was a material improvement to the Q. Next was the trermendous improvement in AF performance in FW ver. 1.12 - an improvement for both the Q10 and the original Q.

Pentax has according to James Malcolm adopted this new FW Upgrade strategy, which he said costs little money and yet binds customers to the brand. It will (apparently) unfortunately take Pentax a long time to make this new policy known to even its best customers and most ardent fans, and to make it a "Feature" of the Pentax brand..
06-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It will (apparently) unfortunately take Pentax a long time to make this new policy known to even its best customers and most ardent fans, and to make it a "Feature" of the Pentax brand..
I thought 'its best customers and most ardent fans' were already here on this forum!

06-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If applying Ricoh policy on firmware, I think that will mean that when new features added on new generation cameras, they will also be added to older cameras as long as necessary hardware is the same. Hopefully it also will mean that bug fixes included in firmware updates for Pentax cameras are as well documented as Ricoh done.

Here an example on revision history on Ricoh GRIII. I didn't count all, but there seems to be at least 20 new options added through firmware updates.
GR DIGITAL III firmware / Software Downloads / Digital Camera | Ricoh Global
06-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I thought 'its best customers and most ardent fans' were already here on this forum!
They are precisely the people to whom I was posting

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
If applying Ricoh policy on firmware, I think that will mean that when new features added on new generation cameras, they will also be added to older cameras as long as necessary hardware is the same. Hopefully it also will mean that bug fixes included in firmware updates for Pentax cameras are as well documented as Ricoh done.

Here an example on revision history on Ricoh GRIII. I didn't count all, but there seems to be at least 20 new options added through firmware updates.
GR DIGITAL III firmware / Software Downloads / Digital Camera | Ricoh Global
I believe that is the intent.
06-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh's FW upgrade policy (and now Pentax's policy) is to regularly introduce new features to older cameras, much the same as software updates for computers and phones. An example is the addition of Focus Peaking to the original Q when the Q10 was introduced - that was a material improvement to the Q. Next was the trermendous improvement in AF performance in FW ver. 1.12 - an improvement for both the Q10 and the original Q.

Pentax has according to James Malcolm adopted this new FW Upgrade strategy, which he said costs little money and yet binds customers to the brand. It will (apparently) unfortunately take Pentax a long time to make this new policy known to even its best customers and most ardent fans, and to make it a "Feature" of the Pentax brand..
Thanks for replying, I tire of these sort of posts and appreciate someone else addressing it head on. We ALREADY have seen new features in old cameras under Ricoh, its not a theory or a marketing assertion - it's a fact. Geez.
06-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
If the hardware is the same... it could very well be that the K50 and K30 will share the same firmware maybe?

Probably....Can't see why not?
06-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks for replying, I tire of these sort of posts and appreciate someone else addressing it head on.
I apologise if this nincompoop is one of those causing you so much stress by bringing up such a trivial matter...however I really appreciate everyone enlightening me about the situation. It is nice to know that my K-30 might get an increase in ISO to 51200, or is that not possible with a firmware update?
06-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I apologise if this nincompoop is one of those causing you so much stress by bringing up such a trivial matter...however I really appreciate everyone enlightening me about the situation. It is nice to know that my K-30 might get an increase in ISO to 51200, or is that not possible with a firmware update?
My comment was not directed at you. It was directed st those who keep questioning the answers provided to your initial question. There are facts involved in this issue and some posters seem to believe that their own opinions are superior to those facts, which I find tiring.
06-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
My comment was not directed at you. It was directed st those who keep questioning the answers provided to your initial question. There are facts involved in this issue and some posters seem to believe that their own opinions are superior to those facts, which I find tiring.
Sorry again, the finer nuances of English, not picked up by an Afrikaans speaker
06-15-2013, 04:38 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Sorry again, the finer nuances of English, not picked up by an Afrikaans speaker
No need to apologize, I wasn't explicit in which post I was addressing.