Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2013, 04:01 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Shall Quote
Was just about to buy a K5ii but now I am thinking the K50 is a cheaper option. Spec is very similar as far as I can see other than the magnesium alloy casing, 7fps vs 6, and 14 bit Raw vs 12 bit. Can anyone suggest other reasons to buy a K5ii over the K50?
Faster AF in low light conditions, no AA filter in K-5 IIs version, LCD display on top.. and may be personal preferences in buttons/controls layout. Depending on your previous experience, consider buying K-50 and saving some money and after a year or two, you can still upgrade to K-5 IIs if you find K-50 limiting.

09-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I also wanted the difference between these two cameras myself and wish for more in-depth for choosing..

I was playing with the K5IIs and then I put the K50 in my hands... I loved the feel of the K-50 better but I also liked that K5iis...

My question is this.. I shoot a lot of wildlife (especially eagles) do some nature shots, wish to do more lightning shots and then get into macro.. I also plan on selling my prints in the future..
I have chosen Pentax over Nikon for many, many reasons.

Which camera does better for wildlife and movement shots?
09-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgirl57 Quote
I also wanted the difference between these two cameras myself and wish for more in-depth for choosing..

I was playing with the K5IIs and then I put the K50 in my hands... I loved the feel of the K-50 better but I also liked that K5iis...

My question is this.. I shoot a lot of wildlife (especially eagles) do some nature shots, wish to do more lightning shots and then get into macro.. I also plan on selling my prints in the future..
I have chosen Pentax over Nikon for many, many reasons.

Which camera does better for wildlife and movement shots?
As a K30 owner (virtually the same as the K50), the answer is completely easy - the K5iis. Better build, better WR, better AF, slightly sharper images due to no AA filter, quieter shutter, better dynamic range. For your kind of shooting, it isn't close - pay the premium.

I shoot a lot of manual focus and live view. For those purposes, the K30/50 is a much better value - and, arguably, a better camera due to the more advanced processor. The pTTL flash accuracy is also better on the K30/50 (but for most situations, manual and auto flash still trumps the massive pTTL shortcomings - no matter which body is chosen). A slight edge goes to the K30/50 for macro shooting because serious macro requires manual focus. However, the very good focus system on the K5iis will allow for decent AF macro - if you'd rather be inherently lazy about these things.
09-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #19

IF the K-5 IIs came in different colors.. I might have bought it :-) at least for pentax..I was looking for a fun camera..but I know pentax can deliver the goods as well :-).. so in short I bought a K-50 instead.. in my mind whatever differences or if the K-5 IIs is "better" than the K-50 it would not matter for my needs.. the K-50 is it :-)

09-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #20
Pentaxian

This thread is over a year old and the OP has never come back to it, so we'll never know which way they went.
But as others might be facing the same conundrum I'll post my own story. Personally I went for the K-50 only because I didn't want a K-3 but I wanted to upgrade the K-7.
I might have gone for a K-5IIs if the price was right, but here in Australia it rarely is. The K-50 briefly appeared on special at CRK with the 18-55 WR so I jumped on that.
While I miss the top LCD, the mag alloy build and much prefer the K-7/K-5 ergonomics - the K-50 performance is excellent, AF is faster, OVF is brighter, colour is much better and I get more keepers. The shutter is noisier and the dust removal mechanism sounds like a pair of rubber Castanets, but so far it hasn't shaken itself to pieces!