Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-50 Hands-on Video

My journalist got a chance to play with the K-50 at the Pentax HQ in Tokyo today:

Meanwhile, Pentax USA dispatched K-50 and Q7 production models to us, so we will be bringing you in-depth reviews soon!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Very cool. Thanks.

I appreciate the overview of the new DAL18-55WR lens as well.

The menu walk through was great. There's a separate setting for the Eye-Fi card built into the menu. Great.

At 3:37 the AF points are shown through the viewfinder and the reviewer mentions that this is unlike the K-500. Given he was at Pentax HQ in Tokyo and had them in front of him, that's a great answer to that issue.

Last edited by Docrwm; 06-14-2013 at 01:15 PM.
06-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
At 3:37 the AF points are shown through the viewfinder and the reviewer mentions that this is unlike the K-500. Given he was at Pentax HQ in Tokyo and had them in front of him, that's a great answer to that issue.
Well, that does offer a potential negative to the K-500, and also boosts the rationale for spending a little more to get the K-50's WR and VF AF points. I must admit that I wish my K-X had the VF AF points, although I've adjusted to the lack of them. My next K-mount DSLR must have them, though, so that means the K-500 won't be in my future-- instead, I'll get either K-50, K-30, or K-5 II, or even wait for successor models...
06-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Well, that does offer a potential negative to the K-500, and also boosts the rationale for spending a little more to get the K-50's WR and VF AF points. I must admit that I wish my K-X had the VF AF points, although I've adjusted to the lack of them. My next K-mount DSLR must have them, though, so that means the K-500 won't be in my future-- instead, I'll get either K-50, K-30, or K-5 II, or even wait for successor models...

See! Their strategy is working already. Case closed

06-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

See! Their strategy is working already. Case closed
Yep, you're right. The K-500 isn't targeted to people like me who already have an entry-level Pentax DSLR. Sure the K-500 would be an upgrade to my K-X but I would want to make a bigger jump to really make it worthwhile. My K-X is still a very capable and enjoyable camera to use! But add WR, extra control dial, and illuminated VF AF points, and I'm sold. I just haven't made the leap yet because my K-01 is satisfying my low-light, 16 megapixel appetite for now...
06-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yep, you're right. The K-500 isn't targeted to people like me who already have an entry-level Pentax DSLR. Sure the K-500 would be an upgrade to my K-X but I would want to make a bigger jump to really make it worthwhile. My K-X is still a very capable and enjoyable camera to use! But add WR, extra control dial, and illuminated VF AF points, and I'm sold. I just haven't made the leap yet because my K-01 is satisfying my low-light, 16 megapixel appetite for now...
You WILL love the LCD, WR, extra control wheel, etc. Assimilation is inevitable. Resistance is futile.
06-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

No denying the temptation to scrape up cash for a K-50 'ghost cam' so I'd have a white 18-55wr for the K-01
Something's telling me to hold on to that cash a few more months though...

06-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Assimilation is inevitable. Resistance is futile.
Hah, agreed. But my bank account is zero right now. Need to wait for it to be replenished before I can afford any more camera equipment. Plus a second child due in the fall is going to further make me a very poor man (financially speaking). In fact, I might be out of the LBA/CBA game until at least next summer, when hopefully the K-50 or K-5 II is being offered at a bigger discount...
06-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hah, agreed. But my bank account is zero right now. Need to wait for it to be replenished before I can afford any more camera equipment. Plus a second child due in the fall is going to further make me a very poor man (financially speaking). In fact, I might be out of the LBA/CBA game until at least next summer, when hopefully the K-50 or K-5 II is being offered at a bigger discount...
Congratulations. Children are a young man's burden and an old man's comfort.
06-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks! I'm just excited that I will be able to get some nice baby pictures again. My 2.5 year old daughter moves around so fast, it's no match for the K-x AF system (I haven't a prayer with the K-01 at all). Plus I've acquired quite a few lenses in the past few years that I hope will lead to even better pictures of kid #2. When we had our first kid, I "only" had the FA 50 and FA 35; got some very nice pictures with those lenses, but imagine what I can do with my new ones, especially FA 43 limited and DA 70 limited!
06-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Children are a young man's burden and an old man's comfort.
Hah! At nearly 67, I'm obviously not old enough for mine to be a comfort yet.

(Still cool after all those years)
06-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
My journalist got a chance to play with the K-50 at the Pentax HQ in Tokyo today:

Pentax K-50 Hands-On Preview - YouTube

Meanwhile, Pentax USA dispatched K-50 and Q7 production models to us, so we will be bringing you in-depth reviews soon!
wrong place of focusing screen and LED AF points again....shame.
nothing is changed from DS time.
07-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

The grip on the K-x is wonderful compared to the grip on the K-30.. especially if you have large-ish fingers (read: no womens hands)

The K-30 grip is a little taller but more narrow (especially between the grip and the lens) and boxier than the K-x's grip.

K-30 also weighs a bit more.. not a lot more but you will notice it holding the camera for some time.

I've also discovered I'd like a much longer battery life and thus a battery grip. I hadn't realized this with the K-x since the K-x didnt have some of the more improved features (movie formats, interval mode). The K-30/K-50 doesn't support one so I'd have to go for a K-5 or K-5ii.

Plus my K-30 is acting strange right now..

Kind of thinking I should have waited for the K-5 iii to be released later this year to get a K-5 ii at discount. But we'll see...
07-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I've been thinking more and more about getting a K-5 II instead of a K30/50. I think I'd like the battery grip to go along with my heavier zooms like Sigma 50-150, and hopefully someday, the new Sigma 18-35 f/1.8!
07-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I've been thinking more and more about getting a K-5 II instead of a K30/50. I think I'd like the battery grip to go along with my heavier zooms like Sigma 50-150, and hopefully someday, the new Sigma 18-35 f/1.8!
The grip lives on my K-5IIs and on the K-5 before that too. When my Pentax grip developed a fault I purchased a Meike grip for <$40 because I was so used to having that extra finder placement, portrait controls, and the balance that I found I was having trouble using the camera quickly without it. Even the knock-off grips are ok, as long as you don't need WR. The top LCD is another nice feature on teh K-5 series that I appreciate too.