Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,283
K-50 Hands-on Video

My journalist got a chance to play with the K-50 at the Pentax HQ in Tokyo today:


Meanwhile, Pentax USA dispatched K-50 and Q7 production models to us, so we will be bringing you in-depth reviews soon!


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Very cool. Thanks.

I appreciate the overview of the new DAL18-55WR lens as well.

The menu walk through was great. There's a separate setting for the Eye-Fi card built into the menu. Great.

At 3:37 the AF points are shown through the viewfinder and the reviewer mentions that this is unlike the K-500. Given he was at Pentax HQ in Tokyo and had them in front of him, that's a great answer to that issue.

Last edited by Docrwm; 06-14-2013 at 01:15 PM.
06-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,710
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
At 3:37 the AF points are shown through the viewfinder and the reviewer mentions that this is unlike the K-500. Given he was at Pentax HQ in Tokyo and had them in front of him, that's a great answer to that issue.
Well, that does offer a potential negative to the K-500, and also boosts the rationale for spending a little more to get the K-50's WR and VF AF points. I must admit that I wish my K-X had the VF AF points, although I've adjusted to the lack of them. My next K-mount DSLR must have them, though, so that means the K-500 won't be in my future-- instead, I'll get either K-50, K-30, or K-5 II, or even wait for successor models...
06-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Well, that does offer a potential negative to the K-500, and also boosts the rationale for spending a little more to get the K-50's WR and VF AF points. I must admit that I wish my K-X had the VF AF points, although I've adjusted to the lack of them. My next K-mount DSLR must have them, though, so that means the K-500 won't be in my future-- instead, I'll get either K-50, K-30, or K-5 II, or even wait for successor models...

See! Their strategy is working already. Case closed

06-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,710
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
See! Their strategy is working already. Case closed
Yep, you're right. The K-500 isn't targeted to people like me who already have an entry-level Pentax DSLR. Sure the K-500 would be an upgrade to my K-X but I would want to make a bigger jump to really make it worthwhile. My K-X is still a very capable and enjoyable camera to use! But add WR, extra control dial, and illuminated VF AF points, and I'm sold. I just haven't made the leap yet because my K-01 is satisfying my low-light, 16 megapixel appetite for now...
06-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Yep, you're right. The K-500 isn't targeted to people like me who already have an entry-level Pentax DSLR. Sure the K-500 would be an upgrade to my K-X but I would want to make a bigger jump to really make it worthwhile. My K-X is still a very capable and enjoyable camera to use! But add WR, extra control dial, and illuminated VF AF points, and I'm sold. I just haven't made the leap yet because my K-01 is satisfying my low-light, 16 megapixel appetite for now...
You WILL love the LCD, WR, extra control wheel, etc. Assimilation is inevitable. Resistance is futile.
06-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jimr-pdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,553
No denying the temptation to scrape up cash for a K-50 'ghost cam' so I'd have a white 18-55wr for the K-01
Something's telling me to hold on to that cash a few more months though...
06-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,710
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Assimilation is inevitable. Resistance is futile.
Hah, agreed. But my bank account is zero right now. Need to wait for it to be replenished before I can afford any more camera equipment. Plus a second child due in the fall is going to further make me a very poor man (financially speaking). In fact, I might be out of the LBA/CBA game until at least next summer, when hopefully the K-50 or K-5 II is being offered at a bigger discount...

06-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Hah, agreed. But my bank account is zero right now. Need to wait for it to be replenished before I can afford any more camera equipment. Plus a second child due in the fall is going to further make me a very poor man (financially speaking). In fact, I might be out of the LBA/CBA game until at least next summer, when hopefully the K-50 or K-5 II is being offered at a bigger discount...
Congratulations. Children are a young man's burden and an old man's comfort.
06-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,710
Thanks! I'm just excited that I will be able to get some nice baby pictures again. My 2.5 year old daughter moves around so fast, it's no match for the K-x AF system (I haven't a prayer with the K-01 at all). Plus I've acquired quite a few lenses in the past few years that I hope will lead to even better pictures of kid #2. When we had our first kid, I "only" had the FA 50 and FA 35; got some very nice pictures with those lenses, but imagine what I can do with my new ones, especially FA 43 limited and DA 70 limited!
06-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Cynog Ap Brychan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gloucester
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,092
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Children are a young man's burden and an old man's comfort.
Hah! At nearly 67, I'm obviously not old enough for mine to be a comfort yet.

(Still cool after all those years)
06-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
Banned




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: China
Posts: 55
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
My journalist got a chance to play with the K-50 at the Pentax HQ in Tokyo today:

Pentax K-50 Hands-On Preview - YouTube

Meanwhile, Pentax USA dispatched K-50 and Q7 production models to us, so we will be bringing you in-depth reviews soon!
wrong place of focusing screen and LED AF points again....shame.
nothing is changed from DS time.
07-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #13
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,922
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Yep, you're right. The K-500 isn't targeted to people like me who already have an entry-level Pentax DSLR. Sure the K-500 would be an upgrade to my K-X but I would want to make a bigger jump to really make it worthwhile. My K-X is still a very capable and enjoyable camera to use! But add WR, extra control dial, and illuminated VF AF points, and I'm sold. I just haven't made the leap yet because my K-01 is satisfying my low-light, 16 megapixel appetite for now...

The grip on the K-x is wonderful compared to the grip on the K-30.. especially if you have large-ish fingers (read: no womens hands)

The K-30 grip is a little taller but more narrow (especially between the grip and the lens) and boxier than the K-x's grip.

K-30 also weighs a bit more.. not a lot more but you will notice it holding the camera for some time.

I've also discovered I'd like a much longer battery life and thus a battery grip. I hadn't realized this with the K-x since the K-x didnt have some of the more improved features (movie formats, interval mode). The K-30/K-50 doesn't support one so I'd have to go for a K-5 or K-5ii.

Plus my K-30 is acting strange right now..

Kind of thinking I should have waited for the K-5 iii to be released later this year to get a K-5 ii at discount. But we'll see...
07-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #14
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,710
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I've been thinking more and more about getting a K-5 II instead of a K30/50. I think I'd like the battery grip to go along with my heavier zooms like Sigma 50-150, and hopefully someday, the new Sigma 18-35 f/1.8!
07-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I've been thinking more and more about getting a K-5 II instead of a K30/50. I think I'd like the battery grip to go along with my heavier zooms like Sigma 50-150, and hopefully someday, the new Sigma 18-35 f/1.8!
The grip lives on my K-5IIs and on the K-5 before that too. When my Pentax grip developed a fault I purchased a Meike grip for <$40 because I was so used to having that extra finder placement, portrait controls, and the balance that I found I was having trouble using the camera quickly without it. Even the knock-off grips are ok, as long as you don't need WR. The top LCD is another nice feature on teh K-5 series that I appreciate too.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
hands-on, k-30, k-50, pentax, pentax k30, pentax k50
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-mount adapter hands-on and how-to video Adam Pentax Q 11 12-27-2012 11:08 AM
Hands-On K-30 Field Test Video TCSJordan Pentax K-30 & K-50 23 07-30-2012 07:30 AM
K-01 doesn't feel as cheap as it looks! hands-on video... JohnBee Pentax K-01 15 02-10-2012 08:14 AM
World's First K-01 Hands-On Video TCSJordan Pentax K-01 31 02-03-2012 12:23 AM
K-5 Live view hands-on AF testing (video)... JohnBee Pentax News and Rumors 65 10-25-2010 12:33 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:03 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top