Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
The K-30 has finally reached my mental buy point but now we have the 50 in the equation. I have not been able to find a point by point comparison of the three cameras side by side. I would hate to take the plunge and then wish I had that extra ISO reach.

Help me out here, exactly what else am I getting? Convince me to jump or wait. The WR sealing is not important to me as I would most likely never buy a WR lens.
K-30 for sure. Have one now since 3 months, very nice camera. K-50 to me is too traditional, too cookie-cutter and is more expensive than the K-30 just for "gadget" features of no real-life use...Just my 2 cents.

06-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
k-30. Personally I've never shot at 50k ISO.

Me neither at 50k......
06-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I seriously doubt that anyone does. I surely don't run my truck wide open but I do like a little reserve

Up to the limits of the k-30 do you think the image quality is about the same as the 50 at the various ISO ratings?.
06-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #19
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrogliserin Quote
It's all about marketing. You probably won't use 50k ISO or even 25k ISO.
I find the noise is awful past 400 ISO on the K-30 (RAW) very visible if you are a fan of sharpness in your images..

I also find the grip on the K-30 is disappointing. The side is very blocky and the place between the grip and the lens rather narrow.. not good for adult sized hands.

I came from a K-x which I think had a MUCH MUCH better grip (more rounded, larger) and the body was a bit lighter.. it made handling over time a lot more manageable for me.

With that in mind, the K-500 looks like a better bet with respect to the grip (it appears more rounded at the front and more space for fingers). However, The big downfall (for some) is the lack of visible focus points in the OVF with the K-500 along with no Weather Sealing. Beyond that (and the electronic level) it looks like a K-50 which looks like a K-30.. TaV mode and all..

06-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really wonder what the management was smoking when they decided to launch this lineup. Since they released a no frills K-500, they should have came out a body with variangle lcd as it basically is giving what pentax users have been wanting for a long time even if it has no WR. God knows why Ricoh went along with it.

The K-30 is the better buy in my opinion.
06-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #21

My mind's made up...K-50

Glad to see all the defenders of the K-30 as it bodes well for my K-50 which I will receive in about 4 weeks. It was a tough decision between the two, well actually I had decided on the K-30 after much research on all brands over the last 12 months when I found out about the K-50 and its 18-55 WR lens package, released at a price point lower than the K-30 when it was released. While many seem to discount the improvements made with the K-50, focusing almost exclusively on the ISO, it was those advances and the lens that made my decision easier (who doesn't want a sharper image with less noise?). This is a huge step up from my Fujifilm FinePix S700 on my way, eventually, to a full-frame model. So I will explore my new camera to its fullest, suffer the slings and arrows of style snobs and bask in the accumulated knowledge of the more experienced, technologically astute (can anyone recommend a really good primer on lenses?) and avid, photographers whom seem to populate this forum. My interest lies in taking pictures. Of everything.
06-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by limbomoon Quote
So I will explore my new camera to its fullest, suffer the slings and arrows of style snobs and bask in the accumulated knowledge of the more experienced, technologically astute (can anyone recommend a really good primer on lenses?) and avid, photographers whom seem to populate this forum. My interest lies in taking pictures. Of everything.

Welcome to the Forum. You sound like you may fit in quite well here.
06-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Glad to see all the defenders of the K-30 as it bodes well for my K-50 which I will receive in about 4 weeks. It was a tough decision between the two, well actually I had decided on the K-30 after much research on all brands over the last 12 months when I found out about the K-50 and its 18-55 WR lens package, released at a price point lower than the K-30 when it was released. While many seem to discount the improvements made with the K-50, focusing almost exclusively on the ISO, it was those advances and the lens that made my decision easier (who doesn't want a sharper image with less noise?). This is a huge step up from my Fujifilm FinePix S700 on my way, eventually, to a full-frame model. So I will explore my new camera to its fullest, suffer the slings and arrows of style snobs and bask in the accumulated knowledge of the more experienced, technologically astute (can anyone recommend a really good primer on lenses?) and avid, photographers whom seem to populate this forum. My interest lies in taking pictures. Of everything.
You can buy the K-30 with the 18-55 WR lens:

Pentax K-30 Digital Camera with DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR 15601

Costs more than the non-WR lens package as you might guess. For practical purposes, it's a technically identical body/lens package to the K-50 kit.

06-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Congrats. It's really strange to see so many K-30 fans. I think that will change when the K-50 is actually available and some reviews are appearing on PentaxForums.
06-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
You can buy the K-30 with the 18-55 WR lens:

Pentax K-30 Digital Camera with DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR 15601

Costs more than the non-WR lens package as you might guess. For practical purposes, it's a technically identical body/lens package to the K-50 kit.

Yeah, I had considered that and that was the route I was going to take before finding out about the K-50. I just felt, for the hundred-odd dollars difference in price I would rather take advantage of the newer technology. Really anxious to check it out, so these will be a loooooooooooooooooooooong 4 weeks.
06-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Yeah, I had considered that and that was the route I was going to take before finding out about the K-50. I just felt, for the hundred-odd dollars difference in price I would rather take advantage of the newer technology. Really anxious to check it out, so these will be a loooooooooooooooooooooong 4 weeks.
I know you'll like your camera coming in a month but there isn't any new technology in it (that we know of).
06-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I like the K-30's styling very much

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
It's really strange to see so many K-30 fans.
I like the K-30's styling very much. It's distinctive and looks rugged and like it's meant for the outdoors.

06-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
I like the K-30's styling very much. It's distinctive and looks rugged and like it's meant for the outdoors.
I do like K-30's styling much more than the K-50's .
06-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
I think it looks futuristic.
06-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
It's really strange to see so many K-30 fans. I think that will change when the K-50 is actually available and some reviews are appearing on PentaxForums
K-50 won't change me, I'm taking the K-30 to the grave.

Other cameras were through when I learned about the weather-resistant K-30 for under $1000. Honestly, I think most would agree that DSLRs were capable of stunning photos long before the K-30 was drawn up. For me that would leave two choices: save money, or get the color of my dreams, and I don't sleep. (MUCH!) Until cameras cook and clean, everything else is trivial. But that's me.