Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is It Wrong Of Me?

So... the new K-50 and K-500 have been announced. Neither appears to offer much advantage over my K-30 which is a far better camera than I am a photographer.

Having said that, B&H has the K-30 body only on for $499...

Is it wrong of me to think about getting a second body? I could have two bodies with two zooms and never have to change a lens again (NB. THIS IS JOKE!)... or a completely transparent backup to my current camera...

06-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Not wrong at all. Depends on your needs. I bought a k-01 as a backup for my k-5, I don't want to be without a camera if something happens to the k-5. No shooter who derives any income from photography would go out with only one body, or at least they would only do that until the camera conks out the first time. Telling a client you cannot finish up the shoot because your camera died is not a good way to get referrals.

Wedding shooters will generally have two bodies and two zooms, so that is not as much a joke as you think. But if you do not shoot anything for money then I would think hard about a second k-30. While it is a good deal, you are locking yourself into k-30s for a long time. Are you sure you will not want to upgrade at some point in the future?
06-16-2013, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Go get another one. I have 2! One for my son and one for me but I can use both anytime . . .
06-17-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

My guess is that they should get a bit cheaper still.. Just wait some time

06-17-2013, 02:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It means that you like the K-30 so much.
06-17-2013, 04:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CP140 Quote
Is it wrong of me to think about getting a second body? I could have two bodies with two zooms and never have to change a lens again
When you go on special trip somewhere do you spend more on the trip than what a second body will cost you? Will you book that trip again just to get that shot that you missed because of a body failure?
Go on spoil yourself and rather than the 2 zooms - go wandering with two different primes, each on a body - I have found it to be rather addictive
06-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

It is sooo wrong. You should be ashamed for even thinking about such a thing!

Never mind that I've found having two totally compatible bodies (first K20Ds, then K-5s) adds a lot to my shooting. I usually have one 'dedicated' to long lenses and the other other in the sling pack with shorter stuff.
06-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #8

Original Poster
I want to thank you all for leading me astray.... now to start work on convincing the household finance committee!

06-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I'd love to be able to afford a second K30. One with the 200mm, the other with a nifty fifty...

My neck hurts just thinking about it...
06-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
I'd love to be able to afford a second K30. One with the 200mm, the other with a nifty fifty...

My neck hurts just thinking about it...
Exactly. In the film days I would have loved a second body to alternate between film types ... now it just sounds like unnecessary extra weight for how I use my camera 95% of the time. But having a different type of body to fill in a couple gaps.... whole different story.
07-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Exactly. In the film days I would have loved a second body to alternate between film types ... now it just sounds like unnecessary extra weight for how I use my camera 95% of the time. But having a different type of body to fill in a couple gaps.... whole different story.
Yep... back in the film days, we (much better half and I) had two identical Minolta bodies... one loaded with slow film and one loaded with fast film.

Having read all your comments, I have to report that I placed an order for a K-30 (body only)... it won't arrive before I leave for Germany and Switzerland later this week, but it will be here waiting for me when I return.

The ex-military in me loves the concept of interchangeable parts, common spares and accessories as a way of minimizing logistics problems... and I can have one body on the current firmware and one on the previous version until such time as the new version has proved to be stable....
07-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Same here, in my film days I carried two bodies pretty often, and loved it, which is why I'd like to be able to afford another DSLR. The options would vary, sometimes it was a 70-210 zoom on one and a nifty fifty on the other, sometimes color in one and B&W in the other, probably most often the color/B&W option. I also carried a ME Super and a Minolta SRT 101 pretty often just before getting into digital. Same scenario, but with more lens options...for Pentax I had 28mm, 50mm, 135mm, 70-210 and for Minolta I had 45mm, 55mm, 135mm, and a couple of zooms. Plus tele converters for both, and more recently extension tubes and M42 options for Pentax, extension tubes for Minolta...so first time i get a chance another DSLR is definitely on my list...
07-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #13

Original Poster
Alas... I have a problem... the post man was early and the second body arrived today. I am now placed in the unenviable position of having to make a decision.

I had planned to take K-30 (18-135WR and 55-300), FZ200 (for the wide zoom and relatively low weight) and a waterproof P+S on my trip to Europe starting Friday. Three cameras, three chargers.

Now I have to think about 2xK-30 (18-135, 55-300, 18-200) and the waterproof P+S (two cameras, two chargers) instead.... man ... I'm gonna lose sleep over this one... LOL
07-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have K2000 that I now use as a second body. Different sensor tech, so it seemed a good idea to keep it.