Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #1

K-30 Arrived.

My K-30 arrived this afternoon.
Initial thoughts... It looks a little more "futuristic" than the K-5 i was considering also. In pictures I was not sure about it looks, but is person it all makes sense. The grip is one of the best I have held. It feels far more natural than the Nikon d5100 my brother in law uses (which feels like its made for a 10 year olds hands). My intentions with this camera were to use my Pentax SLR lenses. (28[3.5], 50[1.7], 300[4]) (also have a Rokinon 35mm f.14 on the way later this week.) I have been adapting lenses on micro 4/3 cameras for a while and I really appreciate not having to use a bulky adapter on this body. Pentax-m lenses are a great visual contrast to this angular body. I have just tried the focus peaking and it seems very accurate. I thought I would miss a fold out screen, but with this beautiful viewfinder who needs it. This viewfinder is almost as good as that in my Pentax MX.
what i will miss from my other cameras... eye sensor for the view finder. i love the colors of the lcd screen, but not glowing under my eye as I'm framing a shot through the viewfinder. I'm sure there is someway to remedy this though. haven't dug that deep yet.
Also, while i really appreciate all the weather sealing i am not excited about having to ask my wife to remove the SD card for me. Maybe I'll carry some tweezers in my bag?!?! I can't be alone here.
what I like most though... the build. This difference is like closing the door on a luxury coupe and an econo-box car. This being the luxury car. The shutter and mirror movements feel so precise, secure, and their sound from inside that rugged body makes me want shoot more. Even my wife who has no interest in my cameras appreciated the satisfying feel of each capture as she kept shooting. compared to comparable canons and nikons the moment of capture in the K-30 instills so much more confidence, and is much nicer than the electronic noises of my mirror-less cameras. I've got a long flight tomorrow and will be tearing through the owners manual as I fine tune my settings and preferences, but at this early point I am proud to be part of the Pentax-Digital family.

06-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice!!
06-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That's great. Welcome to the forums. Do post some images with your new toy.

Enjoy.
06-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Awesome post! Hope you end up liking the camera as much as I think it deserves. Having a nicely engineered camera is such a pleasure to use. And if you decide to get a WR lens, there's not much weather wise to stop you.

There are so many good old lenses out there - be sure to check out the lens forums on this site. There's so much experience here and people are very willing to share their knowledge, it's such an added value to the great camera you already have.

Congrats and good luck making the transition!

06-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
Jon

Original Poster
Thanks Guys. I am very impressed with this forum as well.
I'll be travelling across the country for a wedding in New England this week, so the K-30 will certainly be put straight to work. I unfortunately won't have the Rokinon in time, so legacy glass will have to suffice.
Also, small side note. The one negative of in body IS (or SR) is the sensation of a shifting sensor while the camera is off. I did not expect that. ah well. Small price to pay.
06-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two thing that can help, the manual can be downloaded in pdf and is searchable, and you can download your photos with the usb cord, there is no reason remove the SD card for that.
06-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Jon Quote
i am not excited about having to ask my wife to remove the SD card for me.
The spring in the SD card slot is pretty strong. Press in the card, then slide your finger off and out of the way. Get ready to catch because that card might go airborne. With a little practice, I can get the card to self-eject about 75%. That is far enough to grasp the card by the left & right edges rather than trying to grab the front & back of the card near the end. As you have noticed, the weather seal makes grabbing the front & back a bit difficult.

06-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
The spring in the SD card slot is pretty strong. Press in the card, then slide your finger off and out of the way. Get ready to catch because that card might go airborne. With a little practice, I can get the card to self-eject about 75%.
That's about my average too. I still have it go flying on occasion tho.
i love the colors of the lcd screen, but not glowing under my eye as I'm framing a shot through the viewfinder. I'm sure there is someway to remedy this though. haven't dug that deep yet.
While framing the shot a slight touch of the shutter button will turn off the LCD screen. You can also go into the info button 2 presses and shut it off but then you have to go back and turn it back on when you want to use it again. I just hold the shutter button half way down when I am composing using the VF
06-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
Jon

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I thumbed through a PDF version of the manual on my flights today, and learned quite a bit. Most cameras I have had didn't have such a learning curve, but I hear that is Pentax's thing. I hear what you are saying about the SD card, I'll get it down. I have been setting my presets up, which is certainly difficult for older M lenses. I love using the green button for stop down metering in manual. I did have the minor freak out about getting the lens out of wide open, but with a little research I determined it was due to the ISO being in auto. No biggie, I prefer manual ISO as well, but was getting pretty nervous when every shooting mode was AV regardless of the dial location, and every shot was wide open. Hopefully I'm prepared enough for a day of shooting around Boston tomorrow. We'll see, but so far still smitten with this camera despite its challenges.
06-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
Forum Member

I was going to reply that you need to let the spring launch/push it out, but I was beat to the punch...that is what I do...definitely the way to go...
06-19-2013, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #11
Jon

Original Poster
Just spent the day shooting around Boston. Lots of street shots, some architecture, some portraits.
This camera is a breeze to handle all day. I use a wrist lanyard and did not fatigue at all from holding the camera all day. That finger notch in the grip feels just right. The shutter and green button location is great. I wish the focus switch didn't protrude when it was in manual though. As for focusing the red box focus hint in the viewfinder is nice. It was too bright to do any live view focus peaking. I initially feared I was under exposing most my shots, but once I was indoors the picture review confirmed they were just right. Must have been that the LCD was turned down to conserve battery and it was dim in the bright sun. I am still a long way from processing the raw files, but in camera review things look great. Good range and colors. Also the review function is pretty good. Very fast at scrolling through files, no lag. I did notice between shots it can take a little effort to get the camera out of sleep. I am used to a half shutter press doing the trick. I ended up taking some worthless pics trying to wake it up. Haha, ah well. After over 300 shots the battery is still going strong, near full (at least the display says so). The particulars of this camera have certainly forced me to change my shooting habits to fit the camera functions. But I love that. After about 100 shots me and the camera were one. Metering with the green button is so addictive, and in 'most' occasions it proved very accurate. It won't be till Sunday before I get my shots on a computer but who cares. I am just having fun shooting with it. Way to go Pentax... You hooked me!
06-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
Jon

Original Poster
Finally some of the shots. I'm very happy with how everything turned out.

and one in color x-posted in k30 pictures.
06-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The IQ of the color shot looks nice.
06-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Great shots! Glad you're enjoying the camera.

Haha, ah well. After over 300 shots the battery is still going strong, near full (at least the display says so).
That's a minor annoying thing about the battery LCD display. It takes nearly 400 shots for the meter to go from green to yellow, then only 50-75 or so until it dies. It can be deceiving, thinking you have 3/4 of a battery left, when really you have less than half. That's why I carry a spare.

I thumbed through a PDF version of the manual on my flights today, and learned quite a bit. Most cameras I have had didn't have such a learning curve, but I hear that is Pentax's thing.
I *tried* reading the manual, front to back. It's just like . . . reading a manual. Only got half way. I've learned a lot more from browsing these forums (specifically the DSLR and the K30 sub-forums) and reading up on past threads, and of course messing around with my camera. More fun that way too.

I do keep a PDF copy of the manual on my phone though, just in case I need to reference something in the field.
06-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I did notice between shots it can take a little effort to get the camera out of sleep. I am used to a half shutter press doing the trick.
A half shutter brings it out of sleep but you have to hold it for a second longer than ideal.