Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2013, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Finally took some shots

After spending a few days reading the manual and getting familiar with the controls/functions I finally got to take some shots this evening in the 'golden hour' before sunset. All shots were taken with the kit 18-55mm WR and no PP has been done other than cropping/re-sizing for the web. Various settings were used and a few were on 'Auto' just to see how they turned out.

I'm rather pleased with the way some of them came out considering I was shooting in JPEG mode to see how it performed. The bokeh is certainly nice in a few of them and the flash shot of my three year old grand-daughter surprised me a little considering it's just the on-camera one.

06-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, there is an attitude here that 'real photographers don't use Auto' (or one of the scene modes). I think more of us use it than will admit. As far as I am concerned, Auto/scene modes are just another tool, and as long as I can recognize when it will give me the results I want versus other semi-automatic or manual modes - why not use it?

Nice shots - the sky screwed with your first mulberry shot, but PP will fix that.
06-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Yeah, there is an attitude here that 'real photographers don't use Auto' (or one of the scene modes). I think more of us use it than will admit. As far as I am concerned, Auto/scene modes are just another tool, and as long as I can recognize when it will give me the results I want versus other semi-automatic or manual modes - why not use it?
I agree that it's another tool in the box and it has it's uses especially when you just want to fire up the camera and grab a quick shot before the 'moment' disappears.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Nice shots - the sky screwed with your first mulberry shot, but PP will fix that.
Thanks for the comments Jim, I just checked the exif data on the first mulberry shot and it was set to pattern metering so that's probably what caused that. I guess I should have gone for spot metering on that shot or maybe tried out the in-camera HDR (which I've not actually used yet). The good thing is that as that mulberry bush is growing wild on our property I can always go out at a similar time this evening to see if I can shoot it differently (weather permitting of course).