Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Urgent - Sigma EF-610 DG ST Super Compatibility

Is it, need to know very very quickly please

06-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #2

Original Poster
Oh well, just bought it at 51 off ebay. Thinking if it is not I can always put it back on at that price. It is only six months old and hardly used according to the seller.
06-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Might be good to ask a question if you need to know so quickly.
06-20-2013, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

There seems to be a model specifically for Pentax:

Amazon.com: Sigma EF-610 DG ST Electronic Flash for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

As long as you got that model, you should be fine.

06-20-2013, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redimp Quote
Sigma EF-610 DG ST Super Compatibility
As Reivax says, it needs to be Pentax compatible, not all are.

I don't believe there is a model called "ST Super". There are two different models. The ST has P-TTL but is otherwise a very basic model. The Super is a higher priced model with the features the ST lacks (HSS, off-camera use, control or controlled by a second flash).

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-20-2013 at 09:58 AM.
06-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Might be good to ask a question if you need to know so quickly.
+1 - - I know the good folks here like to help other photographers - but in every volunteer group in which I have participated there is always a small minority who view such Forums as their personal assistants, as if they were paying for this assistance. <sigh> But let's not let that minority ruin it for all.
06-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #7

Original Poster
It is a Pentax model
Sigma EF-610 DG ST Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax TTL 0085126927424 | eBay
06-20-2013, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
+1 - - I know the good folks here like to help other photographers - but in every volunteer group in which I have participated there is always a small minority who view such Forums as their personal assistants, as if they were paying for this assistance. <sigh> But let's not let that minority ruin it for all.
And I would be offended by that if that was all I did on here. There are also a small amount of miserable buggers on internet forums too and you two seem to fit that bill.

06-20-2013, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This was an exceptional buy. This flash will function in PTTL and not just TTL as listed.

Tim
06-20-2013, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

My 610 DG ST Super works OK in P-TTL on my K-30 but it has the bounce flash issue that K-5s have, i.e. as soon as the head is tilted even slightly it overexposes about 1 stop. I only use bounce flash so it's not really a problem to me, I keep -1EV compensation dialled in on the flash permanently and exposures are consistent thereafter. HSS sort of works, it seems to allow fast shutter speeds but has little control over exposure so the non-Super Sigma 610 without HSS would be just as good and a lot cheaper I would say.
06-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #11

Original Poster
Flash arrived, not a scratch on it and is as new condition. I have only taken a few test photos of the dog so far and have not had a close look at the results but all looks well to me. Thanks for the help and advice.
06-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
Pentaxian

For future reference maybe, for Pentax flash info this is a good resource:

The definitive guide to Pentax hot shoe flashes and compatible 3rd-party options.
01-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #13

Sigma EF-610 DG Super as a wireless slave

As a very unhappy owner of K10d I was using Sigma EF-610 DG Super flash with very mixed results.
Now I upgraded both the K10d body to K-3 and the EF-610 DG Super flash to Pentax AF540FGZ (thanks to sale prices), so canot say how K10d would work with AF540FGZ.
No time to play with K-3 with Sigma 610 neither.
But as it seems difficult to sell this Sigma without significant discount (narrow market for Pentax owners, I was offered $110 today), I am to keep EF-610 DG Super as a secondary flash for wireless work.
Earlier today I ordered Westcott umbrella, LumoPro swivel, going to get Manfrotto 5001B stand and shall play with some home studio

I find ergonomics of Pentax AF540FGZ flash superior to that of Sigma EF-610 DG Super:
* There is no bounce/swivel lock with Pentax (I hate this lock with Sigma as this slows-down your work, but on the other hand would be very convenient for remote stand-alone slave flash not to allow accidental swiveling);
* Menu of Sigma EF-610 DG Super is cumbersome;
* Pentax recharges much quicker than Sigma;
* There was some incompatibility between K10d and Sigma (strange, you had to get camera body to 'Green' mode, shoot once or twice with Sigma flash and then the both found common language for 'Program' or other modes);
* Pentax flash (I-st generation!) has an 'Auto' mode with its own reflected light sensor (actually I did not buy K-3 to use 'A' flash mode at all, but you never know, i.e. with manual M42 lenses).

QUESTIONS:
* Sigma EF-610 seems to start with default Channel 1 for wireless, while my Pentax AF540FGZ default is Channel 4. Is that possible to change the latter (to be saved when you switch the flash off an on)?
* How about the default wireless channel with K-3 body?

-----)
01-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #14
Pentaxian

And I would be offended by that if that was all I did on here. There are also a small amount of miserable buggers on internet forums too and you two seem to fit that bill.
ROFLOL......I have wanted to say that here for sooooo long !......lol...ROFLMAO....lol
Thank YOU !
01-28-2015, 10:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't address your questions, but some comments

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
* There is no bounce/swivel lock with Pentax (I hate this lock with Sigma as this slows-down your work, but on the other hand would be very convenient for remote stand-alone slave flash not to allow accidental swiveling);
The tilt hinge of the Pentax is very weak; I use a Roque FlashBender and have to support the flash head, else it falls back to horizontal position.

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
* Pentax flash (I-st generation!) has an 'Auto' mode with its own reflected light sensor (actually I did not buy K-3 to use 'A' flash mode at all, but you never know, i.e. with manual M42 lenses).
On a K10D using AF lenses, auto-mode is quite useless as it disables the AF-assist of the flash; either pTTL or manual mode on the flash (and obviously SB).