Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Unexpected nephew visit - help

So my little nephew (toddler) is on his way over and as it is a nice day we are going to take him to the zoo.
Great, will take some photo's I thought, but I have a slight problem, no lenses! I lent a whole load of glass to my best mate when I gave him my K20D so he could try some stuff and we could learn together.
I have 3 choices for today, F4 12-24 - way too wide
35mm F2.4, possibly but will it be any good for animals that might be a bit too small and in cages?
Cosina 100mm 3.5 macro lens (the plastic fantastic) I have no idea what this would perform like (with or without the matched adapter) as I have only ever used it for close up stuff - should I use the adapter or just have it as a 100mm prime?

Whatever, this will be a learning experience, out and about and no zoom lenses, a whole new world for me

Or should I just think oh well, and take my phone :-)

Advice gratefully received

06-22-2013, 03:07 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I'd just bring the 35mm - it you're minding a toddler, then you mightn't want to be fiddling about with lenses. Wouldn't be great for shots of animals though. I don't have the 100mm macro, but I'd imagine it would be fine for critters? YMMV.
06-22-2013, 03:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Im only going to take the one lens as you are right, don't want to be fiddling around with lenses. Say I leave the adapter for the macro lens at home, can I use it like a 100mm lens, how does the 1:2 magnification affect its use as a walkaround lens.
Im leaning towards the 35mm as a general purpose at the moment, and just accepting that I will miss a few animal shots..

edit - Hi moodus, welcome to the forum, it is a pretty friendly place to hang out, it has a certain feel that you just don't get on other forums..
06-22-2013, 04:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Martin, I would definitely take the 35mm, your attention and shots would probably be mostly with the visitor, with some animals in the background perhaps, and for larger animals in more open surroundings, it should do, even with a little bit of a crop.
I recently visited one of our zoos, and took a lot of shots of all the birds and monkeys and other animals that were in enclosures completely fenced, from top to bottom; when I got home and saw al these beautiful creatures in such unnatural surroundings, with the fence clearly visible, I just deleted it all. With the elephants and other bigger species, that are usually in an eclosure surrounded with water and a low fence, you can get quite nice pics. All said that is my experience with a local zoo, your situation might differ...

Ditto on the welcome to moodus! Enjoy your stay with us!

06-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 35 would be a great walkabout lens. If you are thinking of the 100, then use it like a 100, no need the adapter. Good for animals but you need to be further away from your nephew. The 1:2 magnification is when you turn the lens towards the macro end.
06-22-2013, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My daughter is 18 months, so I get a lot of practice chasing her around with the camera. We've only gone to one zoo since she became mobile, and I happened to have a bag of lenses that time with me. And the only one I used at the zoo was actually the 12-24/4. She NEVER stays still enough for the 100mm, and the 35 isn't good for the animals. And actually my best shot of the day with the 12-24/4 was of a penguin and not a kid!

06-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers for the tips guys, went with the 35 in the end, will have a sort through tomorrow and see what I managed to get