Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Firmware upgrade from v1.0 - worth it?

My K-30 has v1.0 of the firmware loaded in it. Pentax has v1.04 on their website.

Do I need to upgrade through each of the previous versions before getting to v1.04? Are the upgrades cumulative?

If not and if I can jump from v1.0 to v1.04 then is the upgrade safe? Meaning, what is the chance that my K-30 will lock up after the upgrade or perform worse than before?

Thanks!

06-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Each update contains all the previous upgrades, so you just need to install the latest one. Upgrading your firmware never hurts

Installation instructions are found here:
Pentax K-30 Firmware v1.04 Released - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-24-2013, 04:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Meaning, what is the chance that my K-30 will lock up after the upgrade or perform worse than before?
Slim to none, if you do things right. Feel free to search for some firmware walkthrough threads on this forum, its a common topic and has been answered many times in different ways. It might help you.
Also, the first time you update firmware is always a little nerve-wrecking, but its not really a big deal. Just make sure you are using a full, healthy battery and give the camera enough time. I think the firmware update on the newest cameras is very fast, so pay attention to the screen or you might think something went wrong, when its really already finished
Good luck
06-24-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ensure battery is fully charged. Download the firmware BIN file into SD card. Put card into camera. Switch camera on. Go to menu and look for Firmware updates, then go into submenu and click OK. Wait until camera switches off by itself once upgrade is done.

Switch camera back on. Go into menu again to confirm that firmware has been upgraded.

06-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'll just say that I'm still on firmware 1.0. I've sailed well past 15,000 clicks (probably over 16,000) since this past October. No problem, great battery life with the original battery and using a cheap Chinese Ebay knockoff adapter, no major hangups with anything.

I'm just waiting for a game-changing update, but so far it has just been incremental updates.

It's not that hard though. I upgraded my Q and it was quite painless and easy. I'm sure it's a similar process on the K30.

Doesn't hurt to upgrade, but it's not mandatory.
06-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter

The Q and the K30 have similar upgrade styles as their menu are identical.
06-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
Aux

LiveView focusing is greatly improved in these updates.