Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

k-30 with M and A lenses

I have a kx and k01. My rokinon 85mm manual focus lens is my favorite lens. I've had issues on the k01 where it wants to keep the aperature small while focusing and then fires wide open despite what i have it set to in Av mode. I don't recall having these issues with the kx.

Can anyone tell me if k30 has any of these same limitations? I like using old manual lenses and this rokinon in Av on my kx, but seem to have complaints with them on the k01.

Also, how does the k30 autofocus compare in live view vs. k01? Auto focusing my kx in live view was unusably slow.

Thanks for any feedback!

06-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K30 works exactly the same as the K-x with older manual lenses. I use mine with the A series and M series 50mm lenses quite often, no problems at all, and it behaves exactly the same way the K-x did. aperture works like it should, stays wide open for focusing and stops down to shoot. I've also used a manual Makinon 135mm, same results. Those are the only K mount manuals I have, but your Rokinon should work the same.

Can't say about auto focus, I don't use it.
06-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I can only add my thoughts on the K-r (mostly the same as the K-x) and the K-30. The K-30 and K-01 share much of the same AF engine. And for me the K-30 is faster than the K-r. My KA 28mm f2.8 works just like you would expect it to do on a current Pentax dSLR. I have yet to mount my KA50mm f1.7 since acquiring my K-30, but it should operate the same as the 28.
06-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-01 should still shoot at whatever setting you choose, but it won't give you the DOF preview in live view.

QuoteOriginally posted by kevingt01 Quote
Also, how does the k30 autofocus compare in live view vs. k01? Auto focusing my kx in live view was unusably slow.
Both the K-30 and K-01 are faster to AF in live view.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! Hunts Photo and Video (not great return policy but authorized dealer) has the k-30 with 18-55 WR kit for $499 today. I decided to take the deal and will sell my k-x and barely used white k-01, but i probably "have to" keep the 40mm xs . Figure I'm getting the best of both worlds plus a little in one body.
06-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Enjoy your new K-30