Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #1

Focus confirm, oh my god!

Just wanted to add my 2 cents on manual focusing legacy glass.

i had the k-01, and while focus peaking was...ok, i still missed action shots with legacy glass. and the lack of viewfinder in the sun (quite bright here in australia, and i didnt want to use a hood or loupe as....well, they look a bit odd haha) so i ended up selling it and not thinking anything of it. Then i read online that the k5, k30 etc etc, have focus confirm like nikon (silly me for not looking into that earlier).

So I picked up a k-30 yesterday at a great price (my first pentax dslr, used canon in the past) and WOW. what a difference having focus confirm makes! i can hold lenses super steady with the camera pressed against my face, and get into an easy, focus, green button, shoot routine. and it has made a MASSIVE difference. tested it out with my 28, 50, and 135. and i am returning a 100% in focus hit rate. im in love with this camera! its an absolute JOY to use.

rant over.

06-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should also experiment with CIF. Catch in Focus triggers the shutter when what you are focusing on is confirmed. Great for action shots.

Also works from a tripod pointed at the bird feeder. As birds land within the focus zone it trips the shutter.
06-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good for you. That is great to hear. Manual lenses can be such a joy to use.
06-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, it works well, I am surprised it is omitted from the k-01. I wonder if it does if you turn peaking off?

CIF is much better on Pentax than it is on Nikon, so bonus.

06-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I am surprised it is omitted from the k-01. I wonder if it does if you turn peaking off?
It does not. I've never seen or heard of a Pentax DSLR that has manual focus confirmation in LiveView (my K-x/K-30 don't), and the K-01 is basically a DSLR stuck in LiveView. That got me Googling, and it doesn't sound like any Nikon DSLR does, either. Some Canon DSLRs might, but the description I read made focus peaking sound more useful. From my understanding of CDAF, it would really just be telling you that the center zone had something with contrast of an acceptable level, which would not be as accurate as PDAF, where the center AF point is in phase or it isn't.
06-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
It does not. I've never seen or heard of a Pentax DSLR that has manual focus confirmation in LiveView (my K-x/K-30 don't), and the K-01 is basically a DSLR stuck in LiveView. That got me Googling, and it doesn't sound like any Nikon DSLR does, either. Some Canon DSLRs might, but the description I read made focus peaking sound more useful. From my understanding of CDAF, it would really just be telling you that the center zone had something with contrast of an acceptable level, which would not be as accurate as PDAF, where the center AF point is in phase or it isn't.
I use focus peaking with my Sony NEX, but the implementation is a bit better than Pentax's. Older NEX cameras are CDAF only and they do show a focus confirmation dot in the lower left hand corner, but only when manual focusing. It does not show up otherwise. So it's probably just a similar indicator, for a different thing.
06-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If you like focus confirm, you will love a focus screen with split-image/microprism.

Steve

06-25-2013, 11:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If you like focus confirm, you will love a focus screen with split-image/microprism.
I would really like to experience this. This is different from what the old film cameras have, right? I haven't researched it enough and have avoided it really because I don't want to screw my camera up trying to install one.. Which do you use? Does it also help auto-focus? (Sorry for the off topic)...
06-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Singapore, some of us use the S-type split screen and ot is wonderful for MF lenses.

Focusing Screen
06-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #10

Original Poster
Stevebrot, i would also be interested in hearing more about those.especially if it gives a similar experience to the days of the film slr still have my OM-1 and canon AE-1 lying about from my father that i occasionally use.
06-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Isn't the k30 supposed to have quick swap focus screens? Were they ever released? The process of swappable screens might be different than other Pentax dslrs.
06-26-2013, 01:37 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelvandal Quote
Just wanted to add my 2 cents on manual focusing legacy glass.

i had the k-01, and while focus peaking was...ok, i still missed action shots with legacy glass. and the lack of viewfinder in the sun (quite bright here in australia, and i didnt want to use a hood or loupe as....well, they look a bit odd haha) so i ended up selling it and not thinking anything of it. Then i read online that the k5, k30 etc etc, have focus confirm like nikon (silly me for not looking into that earlier).

So I picked up a k-30 yesterday at a great price (my first pentax dslr, used canon in the past) and WOW. what a difference having focus confirm makes! i can hold lenses super steady with the camera pressed against my face, and get into an easy, focus, green button, shoot routine. and it has made a MASSIVE difference. tested it out with my 28, 50, and 135. and i am returning a 100% in focus hit rate. im in love with this camera! its an absolute JOY to use.

rant over.

I think all my pentax cameras have had focus confirmation, but I have never had much luck with it. I didn't seem to be able to find the focus very quickly. I now have a K30, with focus peaking, and (although I havn't used it much) I seem to be able to find focus much more quickly with that..

This post has made me wonder if I am doing something wrong, or if I just need more practice? Any tips?

Last edited by rob_k20d; 06-26-2013 at 01:54 AM.
06-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #13

Original Poster
Hmm, mine is instant, a quick twist of the focus ring and beep, in focus.almost as fast as using autofocus to be honest?
06-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #14

Is that outside, or inside as well. Just tried it outside, and it is indeed much easier/quicker then. Also (naturally) easier if at smaller aperatures. I think part of my issue may have been that I have typically been using my 50mm 1.7, inside, in low light, wide open.

Sometimes, the light wouldn't seem to come on, even as I (slowly) moved towards better focus, but then just went past focsuing and out of focus again.

Other times, it would flash on, but then off again. Getting it to come on and stay on wasn't always easy. (But much easier I suspect outdoores, and certainly at smaller aperatures.

Maybe I will take my manual lenses out more.

(Your post, commenting on the beep, also reminded me that I always have all sounds turned off, but maybe it is worth turning the beep back on for this.)
06-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Isn't the k30 supposed to have quick swap focus screens? Were they ever released? The process of swappable screens might be different than other Pentax dslrs.
The K30 screens like the K20D, K7, K5, K5II, K5IIs, Kx, Kr are all replaceable by users.

I have changed screens since the time I owned the K20D, K7, Kx, K5 and now the K30 which I will be doing so soon.

the link is for the S-Type is Focusing Screen

or this with the K3 split screen is Focusing Screen

Some of us in Singapore use the above screen and you can really see the DOF on the screen.