Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Good idea, thanks! Maybe I'll just have my DA 40 limited "live" on the K-x as a compact point-and-shoot.
A DA* 40 certainly qualifies as adequate

06-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Until I need the money, I'm holding on to my K-x. It still is an excellent camera. I'm planning on a number of uses for it.
  • As a backup in case anything goes amiss with the K-30.
  • As JimJohnson noted, use it as a glorified P&S. With a small lens on it (I got the discounted DA 35 2.4 and DA 50 1.8 when I bought the K-30), it is really a compact outfit. (The F 35-70 works great too.)
  • If I'm going to places where there is an increased risk of damage, loss, or theft, I'll use the K-x. (Still need the K-30 for WR)
  • Most often, I anticipate using it as a second body. I have the 18-135 on the K-30, so I'm good to go for a wide range of situations. For the K-x, I'll either put the Sigma 10-20 or the DAL 55-300 on depending on the situation. No need to change lenses!
06-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Thanks for all your thoughts on this! and sorry to sort of hijack this thread from the OP!
06-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #19
Site Supporter

K-r to K-30

It is a little different than the OP's title. I moved from a K-r (the successor to the K-x) to a K-30.

I wanted that second wheel. I wanted the 100% viewfinder. I wanted the ability to fine-tune AF on a per lens basis. So now that I have the K-30....

I used a Super Program for nearly 30 years. Having separate shutter, aperture, exposure compensation, and lens stopdown controls because second nature. I didn't like having to switch the single wheel function on my K-r. At last! separate full-time controls for shutter and aperture .... only after using the K-r for over a year, I still have to periodically remind myself that I have TWO wheels. I didn't think the learning had sank in so far. I still prefer two wheels and might feel a bit lost going back to one. (I couldn't afford the K-30 outright, so I sold the K-r and a couple lenses.)

I know LiveView on the K-r is 100%, but I use the viewfinder for all but a few of my photos. There are times when I want to know exactly what will be included in my image. Not knowing, often means cropping to fit what the viewfinder did show - one more PP step.

As for that per lens AF fine tuning. I still need to do that. But I can tell you that at least my K-30 body and my current lenses are already really, really close. Not using the lens wide open masks any issues I might have. I'll get around to tweaking AF, I promise.

I didn't think going from a 12mp sensor to a 16mp sensor would make that much difference - both pro and con. After all, so many of my images are reduced for electronic display anyhow. And I didn't think the reduced anti-alias filtration would make much difference. I was wrong, wrong, wrong. The level of detail improvement is one of the first things I noticed. And I am sure it is a combination of both of these features. Now the 'con' part of this issue is storing the extra bits (RAW format) is going to suck down drive space faster than ever. I'll deal with it. I really liked my K-r, but I don't want to give up my K-30.

I like the idea that my green button is now always the 'green button'. I reprogrammed it on my K-r to provide a stopdown preview. I now use the RAW/Fx button for stopdown preview (all my images are RAW anyhow) ... My complaint is I don't like the position of that button. Traditionally my left hand cradles the bottom of the camera body with my fingers adjusting anything to do with the lens. For over 30 years, my right hand did the stopdown and my left hand tweaked focus so I saw exactly where my DOF was situated. That's hard to do with my left hand now responsible for both functions. And if I shift to using my right hand for focus, both the camera feels less stable and my finger isn't near the shutter release.

I'm a function and ergonomics guy. Fashion takes a backseat. I'm still trying to figure out what function that beak on the front of the flash/prism housing has. I see the beak was reduced on the K-50, so the answer might be - it was solely a fashion statement.

And while this has nothing to do with the bodies, for the record, I miss the guides on the lenses that show DOF by aperture, and of course the focus distance scale. But with that beak on the K-30, I guess they wouldn't be that useful anyhow.

06-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
Well I just dropped mine onto concrete from four foot . The only mark is on the tripod plate and the only thing that happened was the battery door sprung open and the battery flew out and the lens hood filter hatch came off. Nothing else wrong with and it works perfectly. That and getting a replacement flash better than the one that got nicked has sealed it for me, I have bonded, I am in love with my K-30.
06-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I fried my K-x, so I upgraded out of necessity rather than choice, although I already wanted to...got lucky and scored a job that made enough money, 1st ting I did was order a K30. Haven't looked back ever since.

If I still had the K-x in working condition, it would be sporting a pretty permanent nifty fifty, and in use daily.

I've been definitely pleased with the K30. 1st thing I noticed when I unwrapped it, this thing feels GOOD...it just had the feel of a really good camera. Still does...all the pros have already been mentioned, I agree with a lot of them. The main things I like are great pictures, not hard to get accustomed to, easy exposure adjustments.

I finally got a AA adapter, that helps, but things I don't like...no lens ID in EXIF, just the focal length, really crappy lithium batteries, ummmm...that's about it...definitely an upgrade, I just wish the K-x was still working, I'd really like to have it available for 50mm work like sunsets, some macro, flowers...but the better viewfinder on the K30 is a huge improvement. And it's a prism, not the plastic POS the K-x had, no scratches...I always hated that viewfinder...
06-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
If I still had the K-x in working condition, it would be sporting a pretty permanent nifty fifty, and in use daily.
Given the APS-C format, I've put the DA 35 f2.4 on mine for that nice walkaround, portable camera.
06-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
things I don't like...no lens ID in EXIF, just the focal length
It's there, full name and everything. There is something a bit weird about it though, lens ID only shows up in an unidentified ??? field in the Camera section of PhotoMe but only from DNG files that have been converted to jpg in Adobe Camera RAW but it works directly from DNG or JPG files under LensType in the Maker section of ExifTool. ExifToolGUI makes life easier to see all this.

Last edited by SteveB; 06-29-2013 at 10:58 AM.
06-30-2013, 06:09 AM   #24
Pentaxian

OK I've never tried that one. I use Irfan View, been using it for ages, and it has no lens ID field at all, just a focal length. The K-x did ID the lens, the A 50 would be listed as A series lens, M lenses as K or M lens, and the kit lens got a full ID. M42 lenses were listed M42 or no lens. No lens??? I always got a laugh out of that one...but the K30 shows nothing in Irfan View, just focal length. I don't have any of my other editing software on this laptop, can't check to see what something else shows...I have 3 or 4 on the desktop but it's packed away right now, no place to set it up.
06-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Question to those of you who upgraded from K-x to K-30: did you sell your old K-x, give it away to a friend/family, or are you keeping it as a backup second body? One thing that's kind of kept me from upgrading is that I'm not sure what to do with my old K-x. It doesn't seem to have all that much value on the used market these days. At least, for only a couple hundred dollar return, it might be worth me just hanging onto it as a backup. Doubt I'd use it at all, though, if I had a K-30. My point is, I know people who have K-5's can keep the K-x model around when they want to use something lighter/smaller (especially if the K-5 has the battery grip), but the K-x and K-30 are closer in size/capabilities that I'm not sure it makes sense to own both at the same time. Thoughts on this?
I'll sell the K-x soon. You can still get some money for it, better than nothing right? And I like the idea that someone else can find a use for it. Even if I kept it, I would never use it anyway since the K-30 is that much better.
07-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
Now I've taken some real shots and started processing them so I wanted to follow up on my original post...

I attended a wedding this weekend and took some photos, both inside the dim church and outside in the sun. I'm really amazed by this sensor, compared to the K-x!

The photos in the church were mostly ISO 3200 and I'm able to increase the total exposure a bit and the shadows and still get ok photos with a bit of noise reduction. I think that would be hard with the K-x, although I have no direct comparisons.

But I was even more impressed with the outside shots. I used centered metering and some of the shots with the white church in the background turned out overexposed. But I was able to recover almost everything by just decreasing the highlights. Before I've always had trouble recovering highlights, but I guess the dynamic range of the 16MP sensor really helps out here.
07-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Unfortunately we lost the weekend as wife and daughter didn't go down to sign; but our K-30 arrived Monday.

I tried it very briefly, and set up the center focus spot -- the mechanism to move the focus spot around is very nicely done. Daughter is impressed with the camera so far.

Meanwhile, I've been using her K-x and find it easier to use with MF than my K100D. I do have to dial in + EV however with e.g. my 52bb Adaptall 90mm macro.
07-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #28

First, the bad:

--I _hate_ the inability to use the green button as a dedicated DOF preview. Pentax should incorporate that function in the on/off switch but at the very least the K-x allowed that function to be next to the shutter release where it belongs, instead of the RAW button. Minus one.
--Thirty dollars for that little piece of plastic to hold AA batteries? Really? Minus one.
--Front wheel placement: Derp! WHY not have it so you don't turn it when you mean to turn the camera on? Minus one.
--Live-vew zoom function. I mean DIS-function! Exactly why was the old method of hitting the INFO button bad but waiting for focus lock and doing gymnastics with your fingers good? Minus one.
--Live-view button moved to LEFT side of body? So when I'm holding the camera with my right hand I can't hit LV with my thumb, why? Minus one.
--Pop-up flash overhang: Thanks! Now it's almost impossible to set my non-A lenses without turning the body nearly upside-down. Minus one.

Now, the good:

--Ergonomics: Yeah, I like that extra-deep grip that allows my hand to get all the way around it. VERY secure feeling.
--Superior IQ. I don't really need the extra 4mb, heck as an amateur, the target audience of the body, the 6mb in the K100 was fine.
--Individual lens correction: This was a sore spot for me with the K-x...why give you a taste of correction that is almost worthless?
--Lots of little details like the image plane indicator, the built-in level, multi-exposure and interval function, +/- 5ev exposure compensation etc.
--Penta-prism instead of penta-mirror: OK, this is actually one reason I upgraded, and the difference is enormous! The K-x was like looking down a hallway at a window but the K-30 viewfinder is like opening your eyes for the first time. MAJOR improvement.
--Consistent interface. This was my biggest fear, having to re-learn where every setting is, but Pentax has made incremental improvements to its interface but kept the basic organization intact. Oh, and the INFO button access to settings is one brilliant feature.
--Almost instant preview of shot taken. The K-x could be sluggish waiting to chimp a shot, with the K-30 I actually had to bump the preview time up to three seconds because 1 second doesn't give me time to take the camera away from my eye to see what I got.
--Much improved focus speed, plus the no-brainer re-implementation of the focus point indicator, my biggest gripe with my K-x.

Too soon to tell:

--As an amateur photographer, I'm still scratching my head over the best use of the two custom shooting modes.....
--Battery life. It seems to be creeping down according to the specs instead of improving with each new model, but real-world, I haven't run down a set of Eneloops yet to tell.
--I haven't done any videography yet, but the 1080 should be delicious.
--My focus-assist light doesn't seem to work.....is there a trick to this? I wanted to compare it to the NOISY assist light on the K-x.....

This was a body I was drooling over when first announced and though I would love to have a K-50, the price drop [$500@B&H] put it well within reason considering I paid $400 for my K-x, used. My only gripe is that I've had my ME-Super for decades and you can't improve much on it, but now I have a bi-annual new-body-lust as Pentax adds features and drops prices. I mean, a guy can only have so many back-up bodies in his bag!

Thank you Pentax for continuing to create great DSLRs at extremely competitive prices. I almost chucked it all when the first Digital Rebel came out at $1000 but I'm glad I waited and kept hold of all my K-mount lenses.
07-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rafael Quote
--My focus-assist light doesn't seem to work.....is there a trick to this? I wanted to compare it to the NOISY assist light on the K-x.....
You have to be in AF-S mode and it has to be pretty dark before it comes on. Put your hand over the lens and it should come on.
07-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #30
Pentaxian

And make sure the AF assist light is enabled in the menus. If you want to use it