Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #1

Just got my K30 and noticed a blob when I take a picture

Taking pictures with my new K30 and noticed a blob when I take a picture. It is at the top right of the picture. I have cleaned the front and back of the lens. Does anyone know if this is Dust or an oil drop. I have everything i need to clean dust but not oil. Any ideas?

THANKS

07-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a dust spot. Use a blower to clean, not compressed air.
07-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That looks like dust to me. Try blowing it off with a rocket blower, then try the cameras dust removal feature. It's a good idea to turn this feature on at startup, as it does a pretty good job of keeping your sensor clean.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Looks like a dust spot. With digital, these are unavoidable due to sensor static and moving parts in the camera. Dust removal feature or rocket blower should be just fine for this. Feel free to search the forums for the many other threads on this topic and read them for more solutions or more detailed instructions.

07-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick reply I toke care of it with a rocket blower.
07-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's a dust spot on the sensor, not the lens.
07-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That looks like dust to me. Try blowing it off with a rocket blower, then try the cameras dust removal feature. It's a good idea to turn this feature on at startup, as it does a pretty good job of keeping your sensor clean.
I'll second this, with a twist.

I like having the dust removal feature activate when I'm shutting off the camera. Helps decrease the "startup" time.

Every bit counts!

07-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Would it be overkill to have the dust removal feature on both start up and shut down?
07-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Would it be overkill to have the dust removal feature on both start up and shut down?
Might be. Just because it takes some time. Also, I remember someone warning against using this feature, they feared the shaking might damage the camera. But thats probably not a real concern, just some paranoia.
07-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
I'll second this, with a twist.

I like having the dust removal feature activate when I'm shutting off the camera. Helps decrease the "startup" time.

Every bit counts!
But most importanat to have it clean after changing the lens which means on start up should be the most effective.
07-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
But then you still have the debris floating about the inside of your camera.. it is going to likely redeposit itself on the sensor or the back of the lens shortly after.. or does the dust removal feature do more than vibrate/shake?
07-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
Aux

Use Photoshop to heal spots. I travel a lot and my camera and lenses are dusty during travels. Photoshop makes magic!
07-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

As a general rule face the camera down when swapping lenses makes good sense to me. Also the debris floating about in the camera, I believe there is a small adhesive area to catch such stray particles but I maybe wrong?