Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #1

Pentax K-50 Lenses

Hi, I am confused about pentax K-50 lenses, please help me...... I am also searching the web but getting no info....

07-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What are you confused about?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter

You might take a look here, there is some information there about lenses that will work with the k-50.

Or are you asking which lens you should buy with a k-50?
07-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yes, Best lenses I can use with K-50

07-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikepentax Quote
Please follow the link I posted above. All of those lenses can be used with the k-50. They have user ratings associated with the reviews, which you should take with a bit of caution but in most cases they are honest reviews of the lenses.

"Best lenses" will be highly subjective. Best for what? Best at what budget? Zooms or Primes? Manual or Auto? Pentax or third party?

Here is a list to start with:
Best zooms: DA*16-50 f/2.8 ; DA*50-135 f/2.8 ; DA*60-250 f/4
Best Primes: DA 15 Limited ; DA 21 Limited ; DA 35 Macro Limited ; DA 40 Limited ; DA 70 Limited ; DFA 100 f/2.8 Macro WR

But unless you just want general answers you need to be more specific.
07-02-2013, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikepentax Quote
You have already gotten some good answers, but your question indicates that you may be looking for more than just a pointer to a list of compatible lenses - so here goes....

Modern (as in "currently in production") lenses from Pentax have been conveniently classified by Pentax according to their "bestness" into a number of groups. As you specifically ask for "best lenses", that means that you should be looking at either the "DA*" lenses, or the "Limited" lenses.

DA* lenses are big, heavy, have excellent optical (& other) qualities, are fast (i.e., have a large maximum aperture), weather-sealed (so they can survive a quick rain-shower) - and, are expensive. This series includes three zooms: DA*16-50/2.8, the DA*50-135/2, and the DA*60-250/4. This series also includes three primes (fixed focal length, i.e., non-zoom lenses), the DA*55/1.4, the DA*200/2.8 and the DA*300/4.

Limited lenses are also excellent optical lenses, occasionally even better than the DA* lenses. They are much much more compact than the DA* lenses, in an all metal build (feel very "high quality", and are every bit as high-quality as they feel), and none of them are zooms. Compared to DA*-lenses, the Limited lenses are /not/ weather-sealed, though.

There are two types of "limited" lenses, the FA Limited (31mm, 43mm, 77mm) which are held in high regard. Those 3 are the "original" Limited series of lenses, and were developed back when 35mm film were used. They're a little bigger (since the image they project need to be able to cover a 35mm film - which is bigger than the sensor in the K-50 camera) - but they are also exceptionally "fast": have a very large maximum aperture of f/1.8 or f/1.9, which makes focusing fast and the viewfinder very bright.

The other type of "limited" lenses are the DA Limited (15mm, 21mm, 35mm macro, 30mm 70mm). These are developed specifically for digital cameras, so they project a smaller image than their FA Limited colleagues -- which makes them very very compact lenses. They're also a little less "fast", with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 or f/3.2 or so (varies per lens), which makes them even more compact. Like the FA Limited, the DA Limited are an all metal construction, and are held in very high regard.

(There're more minute detailed differences that one could list, such as that DA* and DA Limited lenses support "Quick Shift" etc., but I think that the above should do for now....)

Finally, Pentax makes a set of DFA Macro lenses, and they're great as macro lenses - but that's a speciality topic (involving also lightening and tripods and oodles of patience) so let's set those aside for another discussion

Now, what're the "best lenses for a K-50"? In truth, you can't go wrong with any of the above. They're "the best" for what they each are.

Obviously, you need to think about if you are a person preferring zooms (& willing to accept the added weight and bulk of zooms) or not, and if you will need "long telephoto lenses" or not....if you will be primarily taking macro shorts, or portraits, or landscapes, or ..... that will guide what will be the "best lenses for YOU": if you're, for example, a bird photographer, then recommending the 15mm DA Limited ultra-wide-angle (although a spectacular lens) would definitely not be a good idea

Personally, I am not a zoom-person (although I have one, I do not use it much), so I prefer a mixture of DA* and Limited lenses, as they fill different roles for met: a long DA*200/2.8 is perfect for when stalking animals (even my own cats chasing in the garden ), the FA Limited 77mm and FA Limited 31mm make for a nice compact walk-about kit, etc.

Your photographic interests are unique, and so the combination of lenses that will be "the best" for you will likewise be unique. As others have stated, however, tell us about what those photographic interests are, and then I am sure that you will get tons of suggestions as to how to satisfy them properly.

A suggestion: look through the various "lens clubs" etc. here on this forum, and see what pictures you like, what "rendition" of subjects, similar to those that you imagine taking, you like - and look at what lenses are used. That might give you an idea.

If you want to start out, as many do, with a camera body + "normal zoom", then I would personally suggest the DA*16-50. But, I would suggest even stronger that you (if you're new to photography) postpone getting a zoom and instead start out with a good "prime" lens in the 30-50mm range; the DA Limited 40/2.8 is a great start (relatively cheap, great build, excellent optics).

In the interest of being complete, I know that Pentax makes great lenses that are not DA* and not Limited - including some fantastic DFAs and a mixed bag of DA lenses. I write "mixed bag of DA lenses" since some truly are amazing (the 10-17mm FishEye) but very special-purpose, while others (typically some of the "normal zooms") are distinctively mediocre (this includes the plasticky kit-lenses such as the 18-55 that comes with oh-too-many camera bodies these days). I do not personally have experience with many of the DA "mixed bag" lenses, so I hope that somebody else can help navigate that space

In the interest of being even more complete, there're various 3rd-party brands (Sigma, Tamron, ...) making Pentax compatible lenses also. Some of those lenses are outstanding, if looking at the pictures here on this site is to go by, so that may be worth considering also?

Hope that this rambling helps you - and welcome on board

Last edited by tclausen; 07-06-2013 at 02:11 AM.
07-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter

The K-50 is weather sealed and can use all Pentax lenses and third party lenses with a Pentax mount. But all of those lenses are not weather sealed. Lenses that are designated WR or DA* are weather resistant. I currently have one WR lens (the excellent DA18-135WR), but hope to add some DA* primes in the future. The lenses that are right for you depend on your interests in photography. There are lens reviews by users on this site, and a search engine for photos by lens. If you want to try an expensive lens before you buy, you can rent it ( I rented a lens from cameralensrentals.com a couple months ago and it was a good experience. And if you buy a lens and find out that it's not really what you need, you can re-sale it without losing your shirt if you've kept care of it.
07-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you can't rise to the cost of the DA* 16-50, the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 is a bitingly sharp lens, and very reasonably priced, though I don't think its colour rendition is quite up there with the Pentaxes. The DA 55-300 mm is not a bad lens either, and is light, making it a good second lens for a travel kit. For landscapes, as others have said, the 15mm f4 Limited is an amazing lens. Not the sharpest ever made, but I've not seen anything render skies as well as that baby. I can only speak about the lenses I own, of course. The 31mm f1.8 and 77mm f1.8 Limiteds are exceptional lenses, while my favourite, the DA* 60-250mm f4, is truly stellar, and really versatile. I also have the DFA 100mm f2.8 macro, which is not far off Limited build quality, and is sharp as tacks, too. I have the DA* 300mm f4, but I haven't used that enough to form an opinion yet.

In the end, as previous posters have so wisely said, it comes down to what you want to do with your lenses. It's very much a case of horses for courses, but many lenses have more than one use, of course. A 100mm macro usually makes a great portrait lens (though it might be too sharp and honest for some!). Good luck with your purchasing decision.