Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #1

Is there an MTF setting?

I just upgraded from a k10d to the k30 a few weeks ago. I've been playing with the settings and couldn't find a p line setting like the one in the k10d where you could choose mtf, depth priority or something like that. Does this option exist in the k30d?

And is the shadow highlight setting best set to off? It's new to me.

Thanks,

Tim

07-03-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by guavaboy Quote
I just upgraded from a k10d to the k30 a few weeks ago. I've been playing with the settings and couldn't find a p line setting like the one in the k10d where you could choose mtf, depth priority or something like that. Does this option exist in the k30d?
The K-30 has the scene modes doesn't it? Landscape, Kids, Portrait, Macro etc? If so, I don't think there's a p line menu setting anywhere, as the scene modes indirectly govern the p line. Pentaxes without scene modes (like K-5) have the p line menu setting instead.

QuoteOriginally posted by guavaboy Quote
And is the shadow highlight setting best set to off? It's new to me.
You set those to taste. My rule of thumb is the higher the scene contrast, the more you turn those settings up. I use them regularly, but on a shot-to-shot basis. They're not a set-and-forget thing IMHO.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/194872-using-jpegs-k5.html#post2062642 <- here is a link to a picture of mine that benefitted from shadow and highlight protection.

Regards,
--Anders.
07-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think only the top tier DSLRs have MTF, right now thats just the K-5. Am not 100% sure
About the shadow correction and highlight correction.. thing is, shadow correction apparently only affects jpeg and preview thumbnails (and histogram). Highlight correction actually affects raw, because the camera essentially shoots at one stop lower ISO and then makes the photo brighter, without clipping the highlights. Some users enjoy this, but most photographers here develop their raw files themselves, and prefer to do this by hand, rather than the camera doing it for them in its own way.
So yes, as asp said, its probably better to keep these settings fluid, to decide on your own "now is the time to enable this feature"
Personally, I usually keep shadow correction to auto and usually keep highlight correction off.
07-03-2013, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Okay, thanks for your replies. Having the mtf setting only on top tier cameras makes sense. I'll play around with the shadow highlight adjustments. I had the olympus omd for a few months after selling my k10d and it had something similar called auto gradation. It worked okay but threw colors off a bit.

Off topic but I'm much happier with the k30 over the olympus m/43 OMD camera.

07-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I leave both shadow and highlight correction turned off as others have suggested. The main reason being that if Highlight correction is on, you can't natively select ISO 100 as the K-30 needs at least one stop of lower ISO adjustment for the highlight correction to work.