Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-50 video quality

Hi, I just registered here because I'm interested in K-50 / K-500 but haven't found enough info about it's video mode. I know it can shoot in full manual mode, full HD in 30/25/24 fps H.264 and that it does not have external microphone port (why...). So far good enough. How about bitrate? I have seen some comments about K-30 having so low bitrate that it totally destroys any moving scenes (and video is all about movement). Other manufacturers have started to recognize that people will make amateur short films and other more serious stuff with DSLR's, and thus have started to improve bitrates and they are actually mentioned in product descriptions. I have been looking for an upgrade from my K-x to something with better video capabilities, but so far Pentax doesn't have anything to offer. Thus I'm hoping for K-50 to fix this, because otherwise I will have to sell all my lenses and change to other manufacturer. I'm lazy so I would prefer to stay with Pentax.

In addition to bitrate, it would be nice to know if moire and rolling shutter are issues, but I guess I will have to wait for test videos to know that.

07-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I can't edit my posts yet, so I need to do it this way...

Is the shake reduction in video mode digital or real? I really like the SR in video mode in my K-x, but in K-30 it's digital. Yes it will destroy in-camera audio, but serious filming is done with an external mic/recorder anyway. SR is one of the great things about Pentax, and it makes no sense to disable it. At least make an option to choose between digital and real SR.
07-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Frankly all video shake reduction should be done in post, not via mechanical SR. I prefer digital and shoot with a wider angle. You can either use the digital SR in-camera (which is really just cropping as all are), or do the same in post using FCP or iMovie or your video editor of choice. These give much better results than in-camera mechanical SR IMO.

I also suspect that overuse of mechanical SR could impact reliability. Also, over-reliance on SR/VR/IS in video mode is obvious because it can only compensate for very small movements. the moment you get into an auteur movement, it is useless, and can, in fact, work against by softening the image.

If you're serious move up the the K-5 series (saves your glass investment) or wait for the K-3 or whatever successor is coming this fall (can you wait 120 days). The successor will likely have more options including the ability to record in H.264 natively and have a mic patch.
07-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tmammela Quote
Hi, I just registered here because I'm interested in K-50 / K-500 but haven't found enough info about it's video mode. I know it can shoot in full manual mode, full HD in 30/25/24 fps H.264 and that it does not have external microphone port (why...). So far good enough. How about bitrate? I have seen some comments about K-30 having so low bitrate that it totally destroys any moving scenes (and video is all about movement). Other manufacturers have started to recognize that people will make amateur short films and other more serious stuff with DSLR's, and thus have started to improve bitrates and they are actually mentioned in product descriptions. I have been looking for an upgrade from my K-x to something with better video capabilities, but so far Pentax doesn't have anything to offer. Thus I'm hoping for K-50 to fix this, because otherwise I will have to sell all my lenses and change to other manufacturer. I'm lazy so I would prefer to stay with Pentax.

In addition to bitrate, it would be nice to know if moire and rolling shutter are issues, but I guess I will have to wait for test videos to know that.
The K-50 has the same video mode as the K-30. Pentax doesn't have a good body for video at the moment, so if it's a priority for you, I'd suggest looking at Canon offerings (even the cheap Rebel has an external mic port).

The K-50 will be an upgrade over the K-x, however, in the sense that you get full HD @30fps / 720 @60fps and manual video controls.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Frankly all video shake reduction should be done in post, not via mechanical SR
I have tried both, and found mechanical SR very useful and pleasant-looking.

I also suspect that overuse of mechanical SR could impact reliability.
This also means that using liveview will impact reliability. At least K-x uses SR in liveview at all times.

Also, over-reliance on SR/VR/IS in video mode is obvious because it can only compensate for very small movements. the moment you get into an auteur movement, it is useless, and can, in fact, work against by softening the image.
Again, I know what it can do and what not, and I find it very useful. It can't replace a steadycam, but digital SR can't either, without reducing resolution dramatically and skewing the image very noticeably.

If you're serious move up the the K-5 series (saves your glass investment) or wait for the K-3 or whatever successor is coming this fall (can you wait 120 days). The successor will likely have more options including the ability to record in H.264 natively and have a mic patch.
If Pentax is going to take video mode seriously, K-3 / whatever is the last chance to do so. Thus I might actually wait to see what's coming. What do you mean by "ability to record in H.264 natively"? How is current H.264 not native?

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-50 has the same video mode as the K-30. Pentax doesn't have a good body for video at the moment, so if it's a priority for you, I'd suggest looking at Canon offerings (even the cheap Rebel has an external mic port).
Okay, no K-50 for me. I must say I'm disappointed, I like Pentax for still photography.

Last edited by tmammela; 07-04-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: fix
07-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tmammela Quote

If Pentax is going to take video mode seriously, K-3 / whatever is the last chance to do so. Thus I might actually wait to see what's coming. What do you mean by "ability to record in H.264 natively"? How is current H.264 not native?
The K-5 and successors record video in Motion JPEG (avi). Better for editing but huge files. The K-3 speculation mentioned I think means the user could select whether to record in Motion JPEG or H.264.
07-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a K100DS and several classic and newer DA Pentax lenses. I've been waiting for a good 1080p60-capable hybrid camera, hoping that Pentax might deliver, and have been disappointed time and time again over the past couple of years. I'm tired of waiting. It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to abandon my Pentax system as there are now plenty of very good alternatives available...
07-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
I have a K100DS and several classic and newer DA Pentax lenses. I've been waiting for a good 1080p60-capable hybrid camera, hoping that Pentax might deliver, and have been disappointed time and time again over the past couple of years. I'm tired of waiting. It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to abandon my Pentax system as there are now plenty of very good alternatives available...
The 70D looks like it's going to be a killer camera for video, but then again, even a Rebel is better than any Pentax DSLR for video...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Video is proving to be the major Achilles' Heel for Pentax and the Ricoh GR. I am certain it is costing a measurable chunk if sales.