Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-30 won't select SR

I am using my 135mm SMC Takumar with a adapter glued on...
But for some reason the SR is greyed out as is the Insert Focal length option. I checked and its not on Bulb nor is the timer on.
My K-5 never had issues using this lens.
What am I missing?
Thanks.

07-05-2013, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I am using my 135mm SMC Takumar with a adapter glued on...
But for some reason the SR is greyed out as is the Insert Focal length option. I checked and its not on Bulb nor is the timer on.
My K-5 never had issues using this lens.
What am I missing?
Thanks.
Did you enable the use of the aperture ring (it's in the custom setting menu 4)? I m preety sure if you don't input the focal length SR cannot work.

Edit: Page 271 of the K-30 manual gives the reasons shake reduction will not work

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 07-05-2013 at 07:57 PM.
07-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Did you enable the use of the aperture ring (it's in the custom setting menu 4)? I m preety sure if you don't input the focal length SR cannot work.

Edit: Page 271 of the K-30 manual gives the reasons shake reduction will not work
Awesome!
Thanks...forgot about that aperture ring setting
07-06-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Awesome!
Thanks...forgot about that aperture ring setting
I really don't understand why they default that to off.

07-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I really don't understand why they default that to off.
Is there even a reason to have that switched to disabled?
07-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't understand why it's there at all. No need. Make it aperture ring capable to begin with, forget about the setting and you're good to go. Auto lenses still work either way so why is it there at all???
07-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
I don't understand why it's there at all. No need. Make it aperture ring capable to begin with, forget about the setting and you're good to go. Auto lenses still work either way so why is it there at all???
I think it is done to reduce technical support calls and camera returns - basically protecting users from themselves. If you are using a lens in something other than an 'A' setting, there are other things the user has to do to get a correct exposure. If the camera won't release the shutter, you can't have a poor exposure, correct?

Personally, I short the 'A' pin on my camera and make my camera think every lens is in the 'A' position. If I am using a lens without 'A' capability, I am then responsible for any exposure adjustments between the body settings and lens settings. If I am, for example, using a M-series lens, I set both body and lens to the same aperture value, do a test shot, look at the histogram and add any necessary exposure compensation. If you use a non-A lens often enough, you don't even need the test shot. This also gives you access to automated exposure and flash functions that are otherwise not available.

Pentax isn't unique in this 'protect users from themselves' philosophy. Microsoft is notorious for the same practice.