Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
So as some of you may have read, I broke my K-5 and a couple of my lenses. I was contemplating what to do because I couldn't spend any money on gear (baby on the way)...luckily Hunts had their fantastic deal, so I sold my Sigma 120-400mm to fund my new K-30+18-55wr combo. I need the 18-55 wr because one of the lenses destroyed was my 18-135mm I know it's a step down but stupidity has its costs and I had to make compromises due to financial constraints.

Anyway...there are a lot of threads about K-5 vs K-30 so let me add one from my point of view.

From a feel standpoint, the K-5 feels more dense. I much prefer the grip of the K-5 to the K-30 which I find a little narrow. I have bear paws for hands so maybe if you have smaller hands you would like the K-30.
The shutter is definitely much louder on the K-30... it sounds eerily similar to my ZX-5 film body.
The viewfinder on the K-30 is a treat Nice and bright. I have an EE-S screen on my K-5 but I am not sure if I want to swap it on my K-30.
I don't miss the top LCD as much as I thought I would....but I miss the following: dedicated ISO button; metering mode dial; separate AF and AE lock buttons.
The rear Lcd and live view are much better on the k-30. I do suspect that I will have to invest in a few batteries because I like working in live view
Focus peaking is cool...but as my old mentor used to say "it ain't no panacea". I thought focus peaking would allow me to not need an aftermarket focus screen but I may be wrong. I will give it some time.
I have not noticed any differences in IQ but I haven't tortured my K-30 yet. Ditto with AF speed accuracy.

So after a few hours of playing with the K-30, I think most of my niggles will go away after I have time to adjust. I got so used to the K-5 that it was like an extension of my hand. I think the K-30 has that potential to but after time to grow with it.
Having said that, the K-5 is the more pro-style camera. I rarely had to access the menu because all the functions I required were easily accessible with a button or dial on the body.
My K-5 is being repaired, so I bought a K-30 to use until I get it back. Since my K-5 has been in and out of repair since last November, I barely remember it , so I can't do a direct comparison, but I have few complaints about the K-30. The only significant difference that matters to me is the K-30's louder shutter. I've shot theater performances with my K-5. I would not do that with the K-30. A few other minor issues:
  • Lack of top LCD. I used the top LCD a lot on my K-5, but I haven't missed it that much. I do wish the real LCD had a simple on/off toggle option, because I like to leave it off, except when I am checking it.
  • Different placement of buttons. The review button is on the right, under my thumb, on the K-30. This is a better location than on the K-5, IMO, but it took some time to get used to.
  • Harder to remove SD card. People complained about this with the K-5, but I did not find it to be a problem. Getting the SD card out is a lot harder on the K-30.
  • No side-by-side comparison option during image review.
Overall, the K-30 does feel a little bit less refined than the K-5, but it's a very capable camera that has good Pentax ergonomics and produces good results.

Jeff

07-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
My K-5 is being repaired, so I bought a K-30 to use until I get it back. Since my K-5 has been in and out of repair since last November, I barely remember it
What? What happened to that it's been in repair for over half a year? Is this a warranty repair?
07-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
What? What happened to that it's been in repair for over half a year? Is this a warranty repair?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/232593-my-k-5-repair-saga.html
07-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Thanks. 4 separate issues, sounds like it should be covered by a lemon law.

07-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
  • Harder to remove SD card. People complained about this with the K-5, but I did not find it to be a problem. Getting the SD card out is a lot harder on the K-30.

I do this one of two ways:
1) I hook the lip of the SD card with my fingernail to pull it out farther, then it's easier to grasp.
2) I point the SD card at someone, usually my wife, and spring-launch the card at her much to her dismay.
07-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
[/LIST]
I do this one of two ways:
1) I hook the lip of the SD card with my fingernail to pull it out farther, then it's easier to grasp.
2) I point the SD card at someone, usually my wife, and spring-launch the card at her much to her dismay.
Ah, a modification of #2. I've been married for 34 years and hate to wear this marriage out too soon.

I press the card in and let it slip off the end of my finger (spring launch), but my finger is still right next to the card so I stop the card's momentum when it is about 3/4 way ejected. It is then fairly easy to grip the card by its narrow sides as opposed to front and back, and lift it the rest of the way out.
07-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #22

Thanks. 4 separate issues, sounds like it should be covered by a lemon law.
I checked on that. None apply, as far as I could find out.
08-05-2013, 03:24 AM   #23

I like how quick the k30s processor is for reviewing photos. I prefer its screen and how decisive it is in focusing.
I have noticed that the noise can be a little more obvious in the k30.
I use them both side by side regularly for events and weddings. Sometimes I find the one better than the other with no real justified reason and swap at the next shoot.
I just wish their jpeg engines and modes were the same. I always shoot in raw but it is confusing when you shoot with the same settings on both cameras and they bothlook different when reviewing.

10-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just a status update since it's been 3 months since I bought the K-30.
It has been stated here plenty of times, but, wow, the K-30 shutter is loud. I was at snapping some pics at my buddy's wedding (no i was not the photographer, just an amateur) and i was frankly embarrassed. For those that have played with the K-50, have they addressed that?
Also, I mentioned it before, but I think it bears repeating, the K-30 noise chroma noise is not as well controlled as the K-5 and it is hard to remove in post without losing a fair amount of detail. With the K-5, you can push the heck out of the exposure. With the K-30, it really pays to expose to the right and use your tripod!
10-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Just a status update since it's been 3 months since I bought the K-30.
It has been stated here plenty of times, but, wow, the K-30 shutter is loud. I was at snapping some pics at my buddy's wedding (no i was not the photographer, just an amateur) and i was frankly embarrassed. For those that have played with the K-50, have they addressed that?
Also, I mentioned it before, but I think it bears repeating, the K-30 noise chroma noise is not as well controlled as the K-5 and it is hard to remove in post without losing a fair amount of detail. With the K-5, you can push the heck out of the exposure. With the K-30, it really pays to expose to the right and use your tripod!
It's really amazing how quiet the K-5 shutter is, but the screw drive is still ridiculously loud. The screw drive on the D600 is almost silent, however, it has a louder shutter. I don't know why companies can't seem to come out with both. For a company that relies so heavily on screw drive, Pentax really needs to work on the noise. For a company, like Nikon, that has moved to silent motors, on almost their entire lineup, they really should have a dead silent shutter. A bit of irony I suppose.

My K-r, with loud shutter and loud screw drive, was simply ridiculous. It sounded like a buzz-saw.
11-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #26

Photos: Gallery
My K-r, with loud shutter and loud screw drive, was simply ridiculous. It sounded like a buzz-saw.
This made me laugh out loud but what you are saying is so true!