Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2013, 03:20 AM   #16

I got my first DSLR, a K-30 about 3 months ago and would say it is one of the best out there to learn on. It is very intuitive and the IQ is fantastic once you get to grips with learning aperture etc. The shots in Auto mode are excellent when compared to a P&S since you ask (comparing the various Sony ones we have lying around at 8-10MP and still noticeably better than the bridge at 14MP). The Pentax ecosystem is also great. All the bases are covered for amateur enthusiasts with Pentax's own range and it gets even better with the support of Tamron/Sigma etc. Also if you are willing to go full manual there are some old superb lenses around for absolute steals (just look ebay).

For me the most important aspect was the ergonomics and layout of the camera which is entirely down to personal preference. I find the grip and control layout on the K-30 far more comfortable and intuitive than my friend's Nikon D5200 and the Canon 600D which I tried in the shop before choosing the K-30. Optically they are all so similar. I've lined up my shots with the K-30 with my mate's D5200 shots of the same thing after we have been a walkabout and the differences are absolutely negligible. They are both superb in this aspect so I would choose whichever feels best to hold and use as you don't want to be struggling when lining up that 'perfect' shot.

Hope that helps!

07-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have had my K-30 for about a month and I really enjoy using it! There is a bit of a learning curve but for me it was mostly about what button to push for what I wanted and where that button is located. I don't shoot in scene modes. Instead I use TAv mode with exposure compensation. I also move away from shoot in JPG and I shoot only in DNG/RAW. It seems like all the scene mode effects the camera picks can be applied manually in post processing as long as the sensor was not saturated. I am more satisfied with my photos when I apply my own scene effects and the absolute minimal JPG compression.

As far as lenses are concerned, I think has the least number of total new lenses available both from Pentax and third party but it's still a lot of lenses! This was a concern for me when I was getting back on the Pentax bandwagon. One of the forum members here rightly said that the absolute number of lenses available doesn't matter. All that matters is that there's the lens that you need/want! After taking a good long look at what is available I don't think you will find yourself wanting for something that isn't offered somewhere. I also have discovered the joys of vintage lenses. You should be able to use nearly every K-mount lens ever made although you may lose some of the automatic capabilities. The lack of automatic features sounds like it could be horrible but it's actually fun to manually set the lens. It forces you as a photographer to think about your shot more.

Continuing with the lens availability, you should also research for your own everything there is to know about M42 lenses. Pentax used the M42 mount for a while and they designed their M42 and K-mount cameras to have the same depth. With a simple adapter that sits inside the body and is flush/even with the lens mounting surface of the body you can use any M42 and have no problems exercising the entire focusing range. Some other brand cameras end up smacking their mirrors against the back of the lens.

aleonx3 mentioned the pentaprism which is a big step above the pentamirrors you will find in other cameras. The pentaprism gives you a 100% view (not cropped) of your shot. Some people also find the view through a pentaprism brighter and easier to focus with. The cost is a little bit of extra weight if you're counting that.
07-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #18

Original Poster
I will go ahead and order the K-30. I also tested the grip in the store and the feeling and the grip felt in a different league when compared to nikon or canon.

I will be ordering the kit with 18-55 WR lens... then i might get a fast prime.

Thanks again for all your posts. !
07-07-2013, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #19

Good decision jrcastillo! I made the same choice a month or so ago after conducting a lot of research. I made the right choice.

07-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #20

Agree with Kenntak. Great choice! Was 3 months ago for me and I am absolutely loving it. For a fast prime it may be worth remembering at the time to look into vintage lenses. They can be an absolute bargain at times and produce stellar images.
07-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jrcastillo Quote
does it have too much to be desired when compared to lower aperture lenses like the 50/1.8 In terms of low light performance?
Many will say that a 50 mm lens on APS-C cameras is too long for a lot of indoor photography. The difference between f/2.4 and f/1.8 is about 3/4 of a stop (i.e. not that much).
07-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Do It! The most underated feature is it uses a Pentaprism over a Pentmirror.
If you can do a side by side comparison seeing through the viewfinder there will be no contest!
Actually the reason I bought my K7 as my first DSLR. B)

07-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

K-30 + DA 18-55WR + DAL 55-300 + DA35 f2.4 will cover 90% of your needs (100% of your needs if you don't do macro or really wide).
07-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
I would add picture quality and fantastic colors out of the box;
If you look on this site as well as on flickr for pictures taken with the k30, you would see what I mean. Many pics carry a 3D feel to it and so many people stating they just love it.
It is more than just spec comparison....It's having a real performer that you will WANT to use.
For the record, I just ordered one ...