Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #31

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So should I get a generic one off ebay or something like that? or the pentax original one?

where did you guys get the adapter from?

thanks,

07-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got a 3rd party one locally but there are lots on eBay
07-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jrcastillo Quote
So should I get a generic one off ebay or something like that? or the pentax original one?

thanks,
I went to the local camera place and had them order one in for me... but there are lots of 3rd party ones available.
07-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #34
Veteran Member

thanks,
Generic knockoffs work just fine. I ordered two of them for around $5 total off of Feebay. Official Pentax ones are $40 or so. Not worth it. Save the money.

07-19-2013, 05:56 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I chose to purchase the Pentax branded D-BH109 from B&H for $30, over the cheap Chinese ones. The main reason is the better build quality, with the metal plate and the gold contacts (similar to the gold contacts in the AA Pentax DSLRs). With all the threads about battery problems with the cameras, every advantage for good battery contacts has to help.

Cheap Chinese bare metal contacts:

Pentax gold contacts:

07-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
With all the threads about battery problems with the cameras, every advantage for good battery contacts has to help.
I was thinking the exact same thing and that is the main reason of why I asked where most people were getting theirs. I have seen numerous posts of cameras freezing, locking up, acting weird, due to power problems. I thought most people were buying the pentax original one... but it seems most people is just getting one off ebay.

For the users that have the ebay ones:

are you guys experiencing any hiccups when using the plastic/cheap adapter?

Thanks
07-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I was thinking the exact same thing and that is the main reason of why I asked where most people were getting theirs. I have seen numerous posts of cameras freezing, locking up, acting weird, due to power problems. I thought most people were buying the pentax original one... but it seems most people is just getting one off ebay.

For the users that have the ebay ones:

are you guys experiencing any hiccups when using the plastic/cheap adapter?

Thanks
I've had no problems with my ~$5 AA adapter.

07-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I bought two of these a couple of years ago.
D-BH109 AA BATTERY HOLDER FOR PENTAX K-R KR CAMERA | eBay

Haven't had any problems yet with them, but then I guess its a matter of luck as not all cheap things are created equal.

I would have preferred the Pentax original ones but didn't come across anyone who would ship them here at the time.
07-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #39

Do you guys use alkaline or rechargeable?
I know that there are a lot of posts about problems with rechargables
07-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #40

I dug through my coffee can of batteries and NONE of them, alkaline or rechargeable, have gold plated contacts....I'm running a generic Chinese adapter in my K-30 and so far, no hiccups.
07-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by Rafael Quote
I dug through my coffee can of batteries and NONE of them, alkaline or rechargeable, have gold plated contacts....I'm running a generic Chinese adapter in my K-30 and so far, no hiccups.
do you mainly run your camera using rechargeable batteries using the adapter? or just regular Duracell or rayovac (non rechargeable ones)
07-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Do you guys use alkaline or rechargeable?
I know that there are a lot of posts about problems with rechargables
Seems most everyone uses Ni-MH rechargeables (Eneloops are the consensus favorite) or disposable lithium AAs. Doubt anyone uses alkalines except in an emergency when nothing else is available.
07-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #43
Forum Member

I ordered two of the knock-off adapters from ebay last week. Grand total for two of them $8.90, including shipping from China (how can they even ship them for that? much less manufacture & ship them?). They got delivered today, 7 days from when I ordered them. Quality appears to be good. I'll see for sure when I get home from work this evening and try them out.
07-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Has anyone found an inexpensive case to hold the adapter? I keep my loops in a case fro travel protection.
07-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Has anyone found an inexpensive case to hold the adapter? I keep my loops in a case fro travel protection.
For me its called the camera. The LiON is far easier to stow away in a pocket or something when you aren't using it.