Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Amazon K30 sellers: beware !

Probably already been discussed, but the seller "Electronics Basket" has some pretty good prices on the K30 kit that specifically describes and pictures the WR lens. They showed 22 in stock when I ordered. But, as you may have already guessed, the package arrived without the WR lens. Call them and they will say no kits with the WR lens are available for exchange but they will offer you a 30 dollar refund. Check their listing again and it will say several kits with WR lens are in stock. Also the price swings almost daily: I've seen 533.00 up to 713.00 on the same bogus ad.
On the other hand return shipping and refund went smoothly if a little slow.
Matt R.

07-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm glad that Pentax has addressed this problem by making all K-50 kits weather sealed, so bad ads like this one never get posted.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Odd. I ordered a two lens kit from them and everything came as expected. The lenses were not WR and there was no mention of that in the product listing. I can't remember what was pictured but at the time I was getting the kit I couldn't tell WR apart from non-WR anyways.

I'm glad you were able to return your kit and get a refund!
07-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I couldn't tell WR apart from non-WR anyways.
The grips on the regular version are all vertical lines, while the WR version has a pattern of fine square checks. Plus, the WR lenses have a snazzy green ring at the front.

(That's not my image. I got it from here: Pentax DA Digital Auto Focus System )

11-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
dlh

Fooled me! Ad on Amazon specifically identified the lens I was buying as "PENTAX DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Weather Resistant Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Camera"; what I got was a DA-L lens, not in factory K lens packaging, and w/o hood and case, not WR. Sent it back to Amazon today. After further research, it appears this entity has been pulling this stunt for some time with the same lenses. So there's no question in my mind that the seller knows perfectly well what he's doing. At first I thought maybe he got a load of lenses that were misrepresented to him, but at this point, he clearly has notice that what he's selling is not the lens he's delivering. And because this has happened a number of times, it looks like multiple instances of interstate mail fraud, which I believe is a RICO violation. I'm guessing they were hot when he got them and, in my opinion, it is likely he had reason to know they were. This isn't "gray market" stuff, I'm guessing that this may be "possession of stolen goods" stuff. This thread is over a year old, and he's still at it with exactly the same trick.
02-05-2016, 09:42 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
And because this has happened a number of times, it looks like multiple instances of interstate mail fraud, which I believe is a RICO violation.
And potentially a RICOH violation as well.

The name of the seller seemed familiar, so I checked my Amazon history--Electronics Basket sold me my K-50 last June. I can't seem to track down the first few shots I took, but IMGP0269.DNG's EXIF data tells me that the shutter count up to that point was 268 and that the camera was manufactured in February 2015. The camera definitely looked unused and I believe it was shrink-wrapped.

If I recall correctly, Electronics Basket was slightly more expensive than Amazon at the time but their high reviews and lack of sales tax convinced me to take the plunge. I got out unscathed but it's sad to hear that they aren't as reputable as I would've expected.
02-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Working with Amazon orders everyday, I can only say "Amazon shoppers (for anything) beware". There is so much bad information in the details - from size to quantity to color, on Amazon in general that you have to check everything. Only the original poster or Amazon can change descriptions or add info to the page, etc, and some info may be out of date.
02-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
The grips on the regular version are all vertical lines, while the WR version has a pattern of fine square checks. Plus, the WR lenses have a snazzy green ring at the front.

(That's not my image. I got it from here: Pentax DA Digital Auto Focus System )
Not quite. The DAL 18-55s have a silver ring instead of the green ring and no focus markings, but they are WR.