Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-30 with serious front focus: what would you do?

I got the Hunt's K-30 kit with the 18-55 WR for $500. Unfortunately, the camera front focuses pretty severely. Initially I thought the kit lens was defective, because images were unusually soft even at f8. After a few more tests I realized the apparent softness was out-of-focus blur. More tests with other lenses fully confirmed this conclusion. The max. allowed correction of -10 visibly improves the image, but it is not enough. The required global adjustment should be somewhere between -12 to -14.
Now, it appears global adjustment and individual lens adjustment are cumulative, so in principle I could make the required adjustments for (most of) my AF lenses. The most annoying aspect is that I get misleading focus confirmation when using my manual lenses...

The kit is OOS at Hunt's, so a replacement is impossible at this point. I could return it for a refund (they have a 15% restocking fee) or send it to CRIS. I'm inclined to choose the latter option, but I've heard stories of equipment coming back from CRIS with issues unresolved... Has anyone had the same kind of problem and sent his/her camera to CRIS? Did they manage to fix the camera? If so, how fast were they to fix it?

Thank you!

Last edited by causey; 07-08-2013 at 08:30 PM.
07-08-2013, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I got the Hunt's K-30 kit with the 18-55 WR for $500. Unfortunately, the camera front focuses pretty severely. Initially I thought the kit lens was defective, because images were unusually soft even at f8. After a few more tests I realized the apparent softness was out-of-focus blur. More tests with other lenses fully confirmed this conclusion. The max. allowed correction of -10 visibly improves the image, but it is not enough. The required global adjustment should be somewhere between -12 to -14.
Now, it appears global adjustment and individual lens adjustment are cumulative, so in principle I could make the required adjustments for my AF lenses. The annoying aspect is that I get misleading focus confirmation when using my manual lenses...

The kit is OOS at Hunt's, so a replacement is impossible at this point. I could return it for a refund (they have a 15% restocking fee) or send it to CRIS. I'm inclined to choose the latter option, but I've heard stories of equipment coming back from CRIS with issues unresolved... Has anyone had the same kind of problem and sent his/her camera to CRIS? Did they manage to fix the camera? If so, how fast were they to fix it?

Thank you!
AF adjustment is a fairly routine procedure. I would just send the camera in, as they should be able to fix it for you for good

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
AF adjustment is a fairly routine procedure. I would just send the camera in, as they should be able to fix it for you for good
Thank you, Adam. That's encouraging enough I'm shipping my K-30 to CRIS tomorrow morning.

Last edited by causey; 07-08-2013 at 09:02 PM.
07-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I haven't put it to the test myself, but I've heard that the global and individual AF adjustments aren't cumulative. You just get the last set value.

07-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
I haven't put it to the test myself, but I've heard that the global and individual AF adjustments aren't cumulative. You just get the last set value.
I'm not 100% certain, but my tests seemed to indicate they are cumulative.
08-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

causey... Any luck? Has CRIS returned the camera yet, and if so, is it fixed to your satisfaction?
08-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
causey... Any luck? Has CRIS returned the camera yet, and if so, is it fixed to your satisfaction?

Yes, I got it back in about two weeks: perfect AF!

08-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great to hear...thanks.
04-13-2014, 06:11 PM   #9

I seem to have the same very severe front focus problem with the k30 and my Tokina 28-70 atx pro .. Ok with the other da lens
The problem seems to be the focus confirmation off via the view finder .. The Life view seems to be very accurate

.. So should I send both lens and camera back to the customer service of Pentax ? Will they do any adjustment given it's not a lens made by Pentax ?
Any comment .?
Thanks
Yuhau
04-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #10

Pentax K-50 kit lens AF calibration

I had a similar problem of soft focus with the 18-50 kit lens. After many checks, sequential photo settings at different adjustment values, test targets, and the like, I determined that my kit lens (and my older legacy lenses, except for my Tamron 100-300mm) required a setting of -5 to be satisfactorily focused. The Tamron does fine at no adjustment.
Understanding that kit zoom lenses are not a paragon of focus acuity, I must wonder if it's the camera that is not properly calibrated. That is, because my Pentax 50mm prime also does best at a -5 setting. Would you suggest that Pentax service should be involved in properly calibrating this new camera, or should I just suck it up and leave the (to me, high) calibration setting?
04-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You might want to send it in to have a check. Best be on the safe side.