Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax 50 mm f1.7 help

Hi all, I recently got a fully manual Pentax 50mm F1.7 lens and I was wondering the best settings for using it, any suggestions welcome.

thanks

07-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You'll have to put the camera in M mode, and use stop down metering.
  1. Set the aperture ring on the lens to the value you want. You won't see a difference through the viewfinder, since the camera is holding the aperture open.
  2. Compose and focus your image.
  3. Press the Green Button. This will make the camera release the aperture for a moment, and it will set the proper exposure for you.
  4. Take the picture.

If you want to shoot wide-open (@f/1.7), you can just put the camera in Av mode and click away. Note that, in Av mode, it won't matter what you set the aperture ring to. The camera will constantly hold the aperture all the way open.
07-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good article here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html
07-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
  1. Set the aperture ring on the lens to the value you want. You won't see a difference through the viewfinder, since the camera is holding the aperture open.
  3. Press the Green Button. This will make the camera release the aperture for a moment, and it will set the proper exposure for you.
  4. Take the picture.

If you want to shoot wide-open (@f/1.7), you can just put the camera in Av mode and click away. Note that, in Av mode, it won't matter what you set the aperture ring to. The camera will constantly hold the aperture all the way open.
For any of this to work make sure you go to setup menu 4 and set 'Using Aperture Ring' to 'enable', otherwise the camera will refuse to shoot.

Also, if shake reduction is switched on then on switching on the camera it will ask you to set the focal length (because it cannot communicate with the lens to find out). This is necessary for the shale reduction to work properly.

07-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
  4. Take the picture.

that's exactly how I shoot with my M 50mm 1.7. Then I chimp it, recompose (trying to hit the same spot for focus), hit the green button again to meter, then adjust shutter speed to make the exposure exactly how I want it.
07-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nfraser Quote
I was wondering the best settings for using it,
Between f/4 and f/8 for best image quality.
07-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tele_pathic Quote
that's exactly how I shoot with my M 50mm 1.7. Then I chimp it, recompose (trying to hit the same spot for focus), hit the green button again to meter, then adjust shutter speed to make the exposure exactly how I want it.
You may already know it, but you can use the autofocus system to help you get a focus reliably. Even thought the lens is manual focus, set the AF switch anyway to AF.S. To focus half press and hold the shutter button, just as you would do to meter and autofocus. While holding it gradually turn the focus ring, or move closer/further from the subject. The camera will beep and show the red focus square when you are in focus.

It may also work if the switch is on manual but I'm not sure and cannot check as I don;t have a manual lens handy at this time.
07-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
For any of this to work make sure you go to setup menu 4 and set 'Using Aperture Ring' to 'enable', otherwise the camera will refuse to shoot.

Also, if shake reduction is switched on then on switching on the camera it will ask you to set the focal length (because it cannot communicate with the lens to find out). This is necessary for the shale reduction to work properly.
Thanks for adding that; I forgot about these settings.

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
It may also work if the switch is on manual but I'm not sure and cannot check as I don;t have a manual lens handy at this time.
It doesn't matter where the AF switch is, it will beep and flash regardless.

07-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
Forum Member

It doesn't matter where the AF switch is, it will beep and flash regardless.
True, the focus confirmation is displayed in either case. But there is a difference if you have Catch-In-Focus turned on (via the menus). If the switch is on AF.S, the shutter will not fire unless you get that focus confirmation. If the switch is on M it will always fire when you press the shutter button.
07-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

To properly use Catch in Focus, hold the shutter button all the way down. Then focus (or wait until the subject comes to the focused distance). The camera will then take the picture. I use this often with both my M series lenses.
07-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help, i am really enjoying my knew lens
07-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
To properly use Catch in Focus, hold the shutter button all the way down. Then focus (or wait until the subject comes to the focused distance). The camera will then take the picture. I use this often with both my M series lenses.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but using the manual-only lenses will relegate you to focus in center-only shots (which is probably a good idea if you are capturing a moving object coming towards you). It seems to me that Catch-in-Focus is more helpful if you can use it by selecting an alternate focus point away from the center - requiring the use of AF lenses that utilize the full array of focus sensors.
07-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I think you're correct that manual makes it default to center spot, I'm not sure though because that's where I set it anyway.

As for catch in focus, I think center spot would work best too, that's where I usually try to keep anything I try to catch like birds or dragonflies in flight. No way I could compose a shot like that any other way, it's hard enough just to keep a bird flying in the frame to begin with...so I think center would probably work best there too.

I normally shoot with my f1.7 set on f8 to f11, camera in Manual mode, manual/auto focus switch doesn't matter, and the focus confirmation is great to have available. Also seems to be pretty accurate. I'll open it up to f4 occasionally, but I find the sharpest shots are at f8 to f16. I only use f16 when shooting macro with a flash.
07-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but using the manual-only lenses will relegate you to focus in center-only shots (which is probably a good idea if you are capturing a moving object coming towards you). It seems to me that Catch-in-Focus is more helpful if you can use it by selecting an alternate focus point away from the center - requiring the use of AF lenses that utilize the full array of focus sensors.
You are correct. Some of us with older models don't have the option to C-I-F with anything but manual lenses, so for us the point is moot. The OP's question was about help taking pictures in focus with his M 50/1.7.
07-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #15

Why not just use the focus peaking feature? I thought the K30 had this?