Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Changing shutter speed individually

in all Manual mode. Using an A lens. Sigma 70-300mm Macro. I can't figure out what's going on and I'm having problems finding out how to do this. I have camera switch set to MF and the dial on top of the camera set to M. I tried settings in the menu but can find nothing that relates to how to do this. I just got my K30 two days ago. If there is no way to do this, this camera is going back to KEH.

Help!!!

07-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The scroll wheels normally do this, aperture, and ISO. Make sure you don't have things like exposure bracketing turned on though.
07-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, I tried the scroll wheels, nothing changed except the f stops. And where would I find exposure bracketing? I don't see that in the menus.
07-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Can find no way to turn off exposure bracketing and I am assuming it's because you don't have ev bracketing in M mode.

07-11-2013, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Yes, I tried the scroll wheels, nothing changed except the f stops. And where would I find exposure bracketing? I don't see that in the menus.
Exposure bracketing is a drive mode setting so it should be accessible from the 4 way controller.

If the K-30 is like the K-5 the mode wheel set to M should allow the front wheel to change the shutter speed, and the back wheel should change the aperture if the lens is on the A setting.

Is it possible that the wheel has been re mapped? Reset all the functions via the menu or check if there is a special setting on menu option E DIAL PROGRAMMING.
Attached Images

07-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Do you have the manual with it? Definitely read that. The only thing I can think of is using both scroll wheels. One should do shutter, the other aperture, and then when hitting the ISO button, one will do that too.
07-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Okay, go to menu and "enable aperture ring"
Then on the lens, make sure the aperture ring is set to A (you might have to push a button to put it into A) and not a number
Now you can use P and M and Av.. cool.
Use the +/- key and the scroll wheels to change individual parameters - ISO, aperture, and shutter.
Make sure Auto ISO is turned OFF (select a single number, not a range)
What is important is that the camera screen actually shows "M" and not "Av"
You can also press the green button for it to automatically set up your shutter speed according to ISO and aperture (but the green button is programmable, so check its settings on your camera)

Edit: You can also download the manual in pdf format and then you can quickly browse the pages to find what you need. There are also many threads on how to use manual and A series lenses on this forum, feel free to search for them. I usually point to this one for full manual lenses:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html
But it might be too basic for you, since yours is apparently A series

07-11-2013, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
If the K-30 is like the K-5 the mode wheel set to M should allow the front wheel to change the shutter speed,
Well, it doesn't. I've tried setting the drive mode, but not knowing which I should set it for, I'm not sure which I should chose. I went to the second page of options and found "M to something to something" and set it there, but it made no difference when using the wheel/s.
Na Horuk, I should have mentioned, the lens is on the A setting and the menu option for allowing aperture usage is also set. I did have the K-x for a few years and knew to set those two thiings. Btw, I'm not new to photography, just the K30. I have the .pdf manual, have had it since the K30 was introduced because I wanted to read it to see if it was the camera for me.

Auto ISO was one of the first things I changed.

Ok, I just did a reset and now the rear wheel allows me to change the shutter speed. Must have been some setting the previous owner had set.

Na Horuk, I know how to use Manual lenses on these digital cameras, I've got four M lenses.
07-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, I just did a reset and now the rear wheel allows me to change the shutter speed. Must have been some setting the previous owner had set.
Glad you got it working!
07-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read through this thread and was racking my brain trying to figure it out. I assumed the camera was new, so never thought the wheel might have been remapped. As soon as I saw "previous owner" it clicked that had to be the problem. If you had mentioned you got it used up front I think it would have been more obvious what the problem was. Glad you got it sorted out now!

I make it a point to factory reset any camera I buy used, you just have no way of checking to see what might have been changed. I was looking at some pictures the other day posted by someone and noticed the copyright info did not match their name. Yep, they bought the camera used and never reset it so it still had the original owners copyright info. We need to start thinking of cameras as we would a cell phone or computer and make sure all information is wiped or reset when you sell or buy one. This is going to get even worse when wi-fi enabled becomes standard.
07-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
If there is no way to do this, this camera is going back to KEH.
I thought that was clue enough to let you all know it was used. Though if you don't know what KEH meant, you wouldn't know. I should have thought of the resetting too as I did that on the two other used Pentax DSLRs I own/owned. But honestly, I thought it was some setting I changed.

And thanks to those who tried to help. Got it now. I did go back and reset to allow aperture for my manual lenses.
07-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought that was clue enough to let you all know it was used.
Should have been, but I missed it completely. Oh well, at least it is all sorted now. Nothing more frustrating than something that won't do something you KNOW it should be able to do.

I keep a list of all the setting changes I make to a camera so if I need to reset for any reason I have a reference. It is also a good guide for setting up a new camera even if things change a bit.
07-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Now go have soem fun with it.

Also, why in the world would the previous owner change that to not adjust shutter speed? That's crazy! Unless it was always in auto...
07-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I keep a list of all the setting changes I make to a camera so if I need to reset for any reason I have a reference. It is also a good guide for setting up a new camera even if things change a bit.
That's good advice thanks for sharing that tidbit of info. So far I can remember how I set things.

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
why in the world would the previous owner change that to not adjust shutter speed?
Could be why they sold it. Couldn't get it to work, so they figured it was defective. This only had 1,135 actuations on it.
07-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Could be defective too. I just had the same problem after having a manual lens on the camera, I took it off to add the Pentax 18-55mm DA ll and I can't change shutter speeds or aperture individually. I reset it again, still nothing.

Last edited by photolady95; 07-12-2013 at 06:22 PM.