Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Sandisk Extreme Pro - 95MB/s?

Anybody tried one of the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s read / 90MB/s write cards in a K-30?

Also, any comparison with the 45MB/s Sandisk Extreme cards?

07-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
Anybody tried one of the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s read / 90MB/s write cards in a K-30?

Also, any comparison with the 45MB/s Sandisk Extreme cards?
In-camera, you'll basically be getting the same performance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just found this review of the K-30 in which they used one of the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards.

Buffer clearing is pretty fast with it. (5 seconds)

And it gives me something to compare to my current cards.

Pentax K-30 Camera Performance - Review
07-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I use those in my k-5. There is no noticeable difference in speed from the 45MB/s ones that I also have. Either in camera or on the computer. I think that speed exceeds the write speed of the camera. Not a bad idea for 'future proofing' but don't look to see any speed difference on current cameras. Might be noticeable on computer if you have USB 3.0 reader, which I don't have.

07-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I use those in my k-5. There is no noticeable difference in speed from the 45MB/s ones that I also have. Either in camera or on the computer. I think that speed exceeds the write speed of the camera. Not a bad idea for 'future proofing' but don't look to see any speed difference on current cameras. Might be noticeable on computer if you have USB 3.0 reader, which I don't have.
They are faster, as you suspected, via a USB 3.0 reader.
07-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have one of the regular Extreme 45MB/s cards, so I will see how it stacks up against the testing in that review I linked to.

And I do have a USB 3.0 reader and don't like waiting for files to transfer. Will report back with what I find.
07-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I was wrong about my Extreme card being the 45MB/s version. It is the older 30MB/s version (gets about 26MB/s write using my USB 3.0 adapter) and from my quick testing is definitely holding the buffer clearing back when shooting in continuous mode.

What to do, what to do.... hrmmm.
07-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Went ahead and ordered a 32GB Extreme Pro 95/90 card.

Will update and do a few tests between the different cards I have once it arrives.

07-15-2013, 01:50 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
This is something I've always missed in reviews... It's hard to dig up any specs on max read/write speeds of any camera.
07-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by retroflex Quote
This is something I've always missed in reviews... It's hard to dig up any specs on max read/write speeds of any camera.
If the mfgs would bother to include that data in their spec sheets it would help a lot as well.

Maybe they have a deal going with the flash memory mfgs to keep it a secret so we users have to spend more to find out for ourselves.
09-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

So a Sandisk 95 mb/s extreme pro card will be written to as fast as non-pro 45mb/s extreme card on a K30, but a 95mb extreme won't play back images any faster than a 45mb either?
09-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
So a Sandisk 95 mb/s extreme pro card will be written to as fast as non-pro 45mb/s extreme card on a K30, but a 95mb extreme won't play back images any faster than a 45mb either?
I don't remember where I saw it but someone did a quick study that showed 95 mb/s write speed cards really do allow the camera to write faster than other cards. It really only matters for continuous shooting but for that there is a benefit. As for read speed, not sure what it would matter one way or another as they all seem to read fast enough.
09-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
On my K5 the extreme pro card doesn't change the number of shots before filling the buffer, but it finishes the write faster, giving control back. As for reading, no difference.

I would regularly run into situations where I was unable to take shots while waiting for the buffer to clear. With the extreme pro cards it happens rarely. A well, it seems to do better when the card is close to being full, or when I've deleted images from the card. Other cards would see a degradation in write performance until I formatted the card.

The K30 has a different buffer, so the performance would probably be different, and there may not be any improvement. The K5 will take about 22 or so shots before bogging down completely.
09-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Ok. Yeah, the K30's buffer isn't the greatest, so I figured I needed all the speed I could get. I needed a new card so I already have an 8gb sandisk extreme pro 95mb/s on the way. It wasn't until afterwards that I read this thread I found I could have got the 16gb extreme @45mb/s for the same price, which would be double the memory and perhaps the same speed the K30 can write. I guess it doesn't hurt to have a top of the line card that won't need to be upgraded for a long time, and perhaps get a little more performance. And I suppose if I were to have a malfunction with an 8gb card, I would lose many less photos than a 16gb card would.