Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #1

Is my K30 Defective or in need of adjustment ?

Hi,
I'm very new to DSLR cameras, did a lot of scenery shooting on a K1000 20 years ago... but this just doesn't seem right: On my new K30 all infinity focused shots are out of focus.
When I shoot long (40 ft to infinity) and use manual focus I never get the focus ring to infinity. It always focuses short of infinity to appear sharp in viewfinder, display, or IQ . This happens on the 18-55 wr kit lens, and also on my older manual Tokina 28-70 lens. Autofocus still gets me a good shot but it too never spins the focus ring to infinity.
I guess I could adapt to this but I'm wondering if something is defective or in need of calibration.
Anybody else got this ???
Matt

07-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is normal- the true point of infinity focus may be before/beyond the marked position.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Axeman Quote
Hi,
I'm very new to DSLR cameras, did a lot of scenery shooting on a K1000 20 years ago... but this just doesn't seem right: On my new K30 all infinity focused shots are out of focus.
When I shoot long (40 ft to infinity) and use manual focus I never get the focus ring to infinity. It always focuses short of infinity to appear sharp in viewfinder, display, or IQ . This happens on the 18-55 wr kit lens, and also on my older manual Tokina 28-70 lens. Autofocus still gets me a good shot but it too never spins the focus ring to infinity.
I guess I could adapt to this but I'm wondering if something is defective or in need of calibration.
Anybody else got this ???
Matt
When you allow the AF system to lock onto a very far subject, is the resulting image in focus or not?
07-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yes, Autofocus on longshots works very well. Often better than I can manually focus with my eyesight. Autofocus and manual focus seem to work well throughout various distances though there is a slight tendency to manual focus a touch long.

07-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

(Very) old manual lenses seem to focus infinity at the relevant end stop - I assume they were calibrated for this as all my MF lenses are spot on at infinity. AF lenses don't do this, infinity focus is always a litte short of the end stop to allow AF to 'hunt' a bit to home in on focus . The other factor is 16MP resolution - you need a very good lens to look sharp at 100% pixel peeping, especially at infinity where detail is often tiny so any blur shows up more.

MF a touch long? Perhaps the viewfinder focus screen needs shimming or your viewfinder diopter needs adjustment.

Last edited by SteveB; 07-13-2013 at 02:44 PM.
07-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #6

Original Poster
Considering the diopter adjustment and the prescription glasses that I wear there are enough focus variables to trip me up. But....
I tried to eliminate these variables by shooting 30 to 40 test shots of distance staggered text and parallel line targets that compared all the differences between the viewfinder manual focus and the lcd screen's zoomed focus mode and comparing the two lenses throughout their ranges. A lot of work but worthwhile in getting to know my tools.
At any rate, thanks all for the info, looks like I can quit worrying about the camera and get on with it.
Matt
07-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I wear prescription glasses also. The diopter is a great addition to photography. I let the camera auto focus on an item and set the diopter so it looks in focus to my eye along with being able to read the info in the VF. If both are in focus for me then I assume the diopter is set correctly.. Enjoy your K-30