Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-30 Camera Body and Pictures - Qs

Hi There,

I am a new K-30 owner and have few questions. The firmware was upgraded to 1.04.
Lense : 18-135 WR

1. If I use a Pentax External Flash, the camera will remain "WR".
NO : then is there in "WR" external flash available.

2. Blurred Pictures

Please check uploaded flicker pictures. ssingh92's photosets on Flickr

Some pictures are BLURRED while with the same setting there are good pictures too. It happened all 10 days in Disney and UNIVERSAL studio.

3. Camera freeze : at least once in a day.

I used Sanyo eneloop batteries. Somewhere I read that this could be a reason. But batteries were fully charged.
Orlando Temperature was 93-99.

4. In the Windows Picture Viewer I see properties of some photos like followings. Not sure why and how Pentax camera body is setting them. But after 20-25 days I did not see these properties in my any pictures.

Color Representation: uncalibrated
Metering Mode : Pattern

Need suggestions and advice, how to minimize the such unpredictable results from K-30.

Thanks in advance.
Sandeep

07-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) No WR flash devices I am aware of (it is a want of many here)

2) I left some comments relating to number 2 - really at such small aperture values you might consider that in the good ol' days you'd be shooting from a tripod. While 1/50 is do-able, it takes practice, and certainly a moving vehicle would not facilitate slow shutter excellence.

3) I shoot Li Ion - but keep eneloops as back ups because they fit my flash too. I cannot comment on your lock up other than you should probably get a few hundred shots before lock up I imagine.

4) I have no clue what you are talking about here. If you are referring to EXIF - check your import software ( it was all there in the photos you posted)
07-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ssingh92 Quote
1. If I use a Pentax External Flash, the camera will remain "WR". NO : then is there in "WR" external flash available.
There is no WR flash available at this time. Adding an external flash will not make the camera not-WR as it is external but the flash might fry if it gets wet and since there is an electrcial connection bad things might happen.
2. Blurred Pictures
No way to help you with this without the EXIF information. I did look and maybe it is just me but I cannot seem to figure out how to view the exif on Flikr, I don't go there much and it all looks different from my last visit. Show me how or post the images on this site.
3. Camera freeze : at least once in a day.
Do you have the latest firmware loaded?
4. In the Windows Picture Viewer I see properties of some photos like followings. Not sure why and how Pentax camera body is setting them. But after 20-25 days I did not see these properties in my any pictures. Color Representation: uncalibrated Metering Mode : Pattern
Not sure what color representation is but Metering mode refers to the mode the meter is currently using. You have available three modes: spot which reads a very tiny area of the image, center weighted which reads the center area of the image, and multi-segment which reads a much larger area. I don't know why it says pattern but I'll guess that is multi-segment. Change the mode and take a picture using each mode and see what the properties say for each.
07-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I cannot seem to figure out how to view the exif on Flik
click the eilpsis (three dots) at top right of photo... its a pull down menu... select "view exif"

07-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the blurred shots they appear to be camera blur. Slight movement when the shutter is opened. I don't see the Exif data so don't have much information to go on, Like shutter speed, f stop etc . The blurred images appear to be ones zoomed in on. If you were shooting towards the 135mm end it is easier to get camera blur, especially with a slower shutter speed. The longer the focal length the more magnified the camera movement becomes. Little things like breathing when the shutter is open can cause this.Personally I snap after an exhale and before an inhale Holding my breath till the shutter closes. I also watch my stance so as to be as stable as possible.. It also appears that they were taken on a ride. So movement there can cause the same thing .
Wow I am a slow typer. I learned something How to view Exif data on fliker
07-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The blurred pictures look like camera shake to me, it would be difficult to take photos from a ride unless you are using high shutter speeds.

The camera "freeze" may be from the AA battery holder. The third party battery holder I have will occasionally lose contact, I think it just has a little "play" in the fit.
07-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, I figured the Flikr thing out. Those shots are using a relatively low shutter speed (1/50 1/100) but for the focal length I think they should have been better than that. Way too much motion blur.

It could be a couple of things or a combination:
1) Shake Reduction. On Pentax the SR is built in and you have to allow it to 'lock' on before shooting. This is indicated by a green hand indicator in the viewfinder. If you shoot before it has locked you can get blurred pictures.
2) Snap shots. You have to focus, wait for the focus confirmation and then shoot, if you shoot before focus confirmation you can get blurred pictures.
3) Motion. it looks like you were moving when you fired, maybe you turned quickly when something popped into view? But you have to take the split second to pause your motion, let the lens focus, let the SR lock on, then shoot.
4) Proper stance. You have to brace the camera properly and control breathing, if you are swinging the camera as you shoot, you will get blurred pictures. Here is an excellent article about this: Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

07-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
click the eilpsis (three dots) at top right of photo... its a pull down menu... select "view exif"
Thank You! I figured it out.
07-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Use TAv, set shutter speed to 1/250, or higher, set the aperture at f4 or 5.6, and set ISO to 100-3200 Auto. 3200 still gives fine quality, better than motion blur anyway.

The blur in your photos is caused by motion, the only cure is high shutter speed.
07-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Greatly appreciated all responses. Special thanks to MATT he left responses in flicker.

The loose battery holder could be cause of Camera Freeze.

In both rides (safari, stunt show) was stopped to see the show. From EXIF data I see I set it APERTURE PRIORITY and was 1/50. I should have set it 1/100 or more.
I think in Camera body image stabilization is less effective.

I figured out Windows Picture shows Metering Mode MULTI-SEGMENT as Pattern.

But I could not resolve "Color Representation: uncalibrated".

Here is the EXIF data. Also picture is uploaded in the flicker. _IGP0423 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Exif data
Camera Pentax K-30
Exposure 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 36 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash Off, Did not fire
Orientation Horizontal (normal)
X-Resolution 300 dpi
Y-Resolution 300 dpi
Software K-30 Ver 1.04
Date and Time (Modified) 2013:06:15 18:27:15
White Point 0.313 0.329
Primary Chromaticities 0.64 0.33 0.21 0.71 0.15 0.06
YCb Cr Coefficients 0.299 0.587 0.114
YCbCr Positioning Co-sited
Exposure Program Aperture-priority AE
Date and Time (Original) 2013:06:15 18:27:15
Date and Time (Digitized) 2013:06:15 18:27:15
Metering Mode Center-weighted average
Color Space Uncalibrated
Sensing Method One-chip color area
Custom Rendered Normal
Exposure Mode Auto
White Balance Auto
Focal Length (35mm format) 54 mm
Scene Capture Type Standard
Contrast Normal
Saturation Normal
Sharpness Normal
Subject Distance Range Close
Gamma 2.2
Print IMVersion 0300
Compression JPEG (old-style)

Thank you,
Sandeep Singh
07-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
This camera is a champion in night photography. Please see uploaded disney parade and Pictures taken when returning by FERRY BOAT from Magic Kingdom to parking lot.
I will be uploading more parade pictures.

Disney Electrical Parade : Disney electrical parade - a set on Flickr

from FERRY BOAT in night - Light work on the lake. : Ferry - a set on Flickr

Thanks,
07-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #12
Pentaxian

SR is pretty good, but it has limits. It is for very small shakes. You have to start with good technique. Elbows close to body, camera tight to face, control your breathing. Press the shutter halfway, and watch for the hand icon. Breathe out, press the shutter.

I recommend going into the yard and practicing. Pick something out a distance, lens at 135mm. Try 5 shots just banging away at the shutter, then try 5 going slow like we all said. Compare.

With a 135mm lens, very very small motions cause blurring.
07-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In both rides (safari, stunt show) was stopped to see the show. From EXIF data I see I set it APERTURE PRIORITY and was 1/50. I should have set it 1/100 or more.

But I could not resolve "Color Representation: uncalibrated".
Even stopped on a ride you may be moving slightly. I take a lot of photos from my car, I always stop and turn of the engine, and there is still some movement if there is a breeze, or breeze from cars going by, or if I move. It doesn't have a lot of effect in conditions where I get a can get a high shutter speed.

The "Color Representation: uncalibrated" has to do with your color space setting. You are probably set in Adobe RGB. There are many things written about wheather to use AdobeRGB or sRGB and it can be very confusing, I won't advise you one way ofr the other. I made the choice at some time to use sRGB, I don't know that it was a good or bad choice. The setting is on the first page of the menu under the "Image Capture Settings". On my images in Flickr this does not even show up in the EXIF, maybe due to Lightroom processing.

It always takes a little while to get to know a new camera or lens. You've got far more keepers than many do. My first real shooting with my K20D was in Mammoth Cave and with a manual lens. I don't think I had a keeper in the cave. You'll be fine.