Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #1

K30 newbie

Hi,

I just bought the Pentax K30 and it's great. But, I find the VF very dim. Is this the usual?

Also, when flexible spot is enabled the four way controller is only useable to move the AF point, thereby disabling other functions, such as ISO etc. Is this also correct?

Apologies for dumb questions

07-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #2

I dont have a k30 specifically but on the k5iis when you are selecting your auto focus point you hold down the center button to switch over to using the 4 way to chose the other functions. Cant speak for the viewfinder.
07-14-2013, 02:37 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by TcKay Quote
But, I find the VF very dim. Is this the usual?
If you find that the LCD is dim, you can go to the settings (pressing the menu bottom). And go to the wrench and on one of those pages (page 2 for the k5) to find LCD brightness.

-Steve

Last edited by thedollarbill; 07-14-2013 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Quoted twice
07-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you on P mode and on Auto ISO?

07-14-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The optical TTL (through the lens) viewfinder changes based on what lens you mount. If you want a brighter viewfinder, get a large aperture lens, like the Sigma 30/1.4. That's a prime lens. If you want a zoom, any of the f2.8 lenses will noticeably brighten the view. The Tamron 18-50/2.8 is highly regarded, although I don't own it.

For the LCD, there is a brightness setting in the menu, as the previous poster indicated.

All this said, the k30 is generally regarded as having a nice bright viewfinder since it's a real pentaprism.
07-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys. currently shooting in M mode so no auto ISO, and with the Sigma 70mm f2.8.
I don't mind the VF being a little dim really, I can adjust. But I'm still no wiser as to the ISO button problem. At the moment when the AF is set to selective point (or flexible spot, whatever it's name) to change ISO I have to go back into the info menu, disable the selective AF and then I can use the ISO button to change the value. A bit long winded!
07-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the viewfinder is wonderful, but I came from the K-r which had a pentamirror. What viewfinder are you used to? Certainly fast glass will improve the brightness.

Yes, if I am understanding you correctly, that is how the K-30 selective focus points work. To change the point, you push down the center/OK button so that the display changes to the 11 points. Then you can use the four way buttons to select different points. If you want to use those buttons for their other uses, such as ISO or flash, etc, you must hold the OK button down to get out of selective focus mode. The focus point you selected will remain until you change it again. I don't actually see any other way to accomplish this and once you get used to it, it's really not an issue.
07-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Loco and JohnnyB, you are 100% correct and I would never have figured it out (couldn't locate it in the manual either). To be honest Loco, i'm not really used to any OVF. I did have a few days with the Nikon D600, which probably explains why I find the K30 a little dim, but have for the past year had Sony Alpha's and a NEX 7 with their EVF's, so a whole new ball game for me....and I'm actually loving it.