Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #16
mee
Site Supporter

Don't lie to her to get what you want.. what kind of marriage is THAT when you start using lies to steer what you want. A mess that is what.

In any case you were here for lens suggestions not marriage advice.. hehe

Any of the primes could be fun. Have you considered an inexpensive 28 or 50mm M series prime? Manual focus but you can get an idea if you like a prime this way.. plus they have aperture rings so they can be put on extension tubes if you want a cheap macro setup.

Oh, and I'd keep the 70-300mm. Even if you're not a tele kind of guy it is nice to have that reach here and there..

07-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find this thread funny. OP is asking for advice about lens but his ending up getting advice about marriage. Good ones there guys.

I will also say keep the lens. I have a 70-300 myself and even though its not steller because of its purple fringing I found out that I use it quite much.

Maybe she also bought you a big lens to stroke your male ego. As we men always think that size matters.
07-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #18

Original Poster
Well, I definitely got more advice than I bargained for!

To clarify, my wife said (repeatedly!) if it's not right she'd prefer to return the lens and get something different rather than waste money on something that won't get much use. She loves using the camera as much as I do (albeit on full auto mode, but she still takes better shots than I do) and I think we'd both genuinely enjoy using a prime as a change from the current zoom. And trust me, I've bought her one or two presents over the years that I've had to send back for something more preferable...why waste the money?!? It was a first wedding anniversary/birthday present although we've been together 12 years, trust me when I say she didn't do too badly when it came to gifts yesterday.

Anyway, the upshot is we're going to return the lens and I'm going to add some birthday money and get the Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro. I know we'll both love it
07-15-2013, 02:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by saint_david Quote

To clarify, my wife said (repeatedly!) if it's not right she'd prefer to return the lens and get something different rather than waste money on something that won't get much use. She loves using the camera as much as I do (albeit on full auto mode, but she still takes better shots than I do) and I think we'd both genuinely enjoy using a prime as a change from the current zoom. And trust me, I've bought her one or two presents over the years that I've had to send back for something more preferable...why waste the money?!? It was a first wedding anniversary/birthday present although we've been together 12 years, trust me when I say she didn't do too badly when it came to gifts yesterday.

Anyway, the upshot is we're going to return the lens and I'm going to add some birthday money and get the Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro. I know we'll both love it
Great! Enjoy the limitless possibilities of a Pentax Limited.

07-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA35 Ltd is one of my favorite lenses, and keep the entertainment opportunities a coming.
07-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
baahh.. Donīt hear them. Doesnīt need to be a "limited" (yes, some envy there, deal with it).
DA40XS has the same optics as DA40 Limited. DA35/2.4 is the same as the regarded FA35/2. DA50/1.8 is the same as M-A-F-FA50/1.7 and they are all great!
07-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #22
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by saint_david Quote

Congrats :c )

If you ever decide to a get a xx-300mm zoom though, Look at the Pentax DAL 55-300mm as it is a bit sharper than the Sigma 70-300 (even the nicer APO version) on the long end (300mm).