Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2013, 02:42 AM   #1

My wife just bought me a new lens...

...the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro. It's great and I'm really pleased. I do actually already own the Pentax 18-135mm WR lens and I'm not really sure I'd need both. Not to sound ungrateful, if we returned the Sigma are there any other lens within that price range anyone here can recommend? I'd love a prime of some sort.

07-14-2013, 02:51 AM   #2

That is a tough price range to find a prime that I know of. I would say go out and play with the upper range of that lens, I would love a 300mm focal length in my bag. Hug that wife and thank her for supporting your addiction........does she have a sister?
07-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Johnyb3000 Quote
That is a tough price range to find a prime that I know of. I would say go out and play with the upper range of that lens, I would love a 300mm focal length in my bag. Hug that wife and thank her for supporting your addiction........does she have a sister?
I know, I'm a lucky guy and I'm really grateful for receiving such a great gift

The Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL is looking good at a similar price range from what I can find.
07-14-2013, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by saint_david Quote
The Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL is looking good at a similar price range from what I can find.
Go for it! Any modern prime is really good.. Try one in your budget, you wonīt be dissapointed. Thank your wife!

07-14-2013, 03:09 AM   #5

I know, I'm a lucky guy and I'm really grateful for receiving such a great gift

You know I thought of that after I posted and it would be smaller than the 18-135, be a pentax brand lens, and give a great standard focal length. I almost exclusively shoot with a 50mm prime and truly enjoy it but every now and then wish for a telephoto. Dont over look the 50mm in that price range. Go back and look at your favorite photos from the 18 -135 and see what focal length they were shot at. If most are in the lower range, like 18 to 40, then go with the 35. If you like the images in the 40 to 65 range maybe consider the 50mm. Now if you like the pictures in the 70 to 135 range you may be a telephoto fan and your wife knows you better than you know your self. P.S. you are not going to tell my wife that I asked if yours has a sister are you?
07-14-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey there. 300mm can be fun, give it a go! If you return a gift, be sure to buy her some candy and give her a smooch.

But Pentax makes some "cheap" DA primes, with good quality output:
DA 35mm f2.4 (good all around, especially for near subjects like group photos or indoor)
DA 40mm XS f2.8 (very sharp, fast AF, but only f2.8. good all around lens, for portraits and landscapes)
DA 50mm f1.8 (fast 50mm. Don't have one, but according to reviews it has good IQ, especially when stopped down a little)
Then there is the slightly pricier FA 50mm f1.4, which you can still get as new at some places. Fast, has distance scales, good build, but AF not as fast as the DA (The FA is made for "film" and DA made for "digital automatic", but they will both work on Pentax digital cameras)

Last edited by Na Horuk; 07-14-2013 at 04:27 AM.
07-14-2013, 04:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
DA 40mm XS f2.8 (very sharp, fast AF, but only f2.8. good all around lens, for portraits and landscapes)
I highly vote for this one. You can get it used for arround U$D150 ("used" as in, came with the k-01 and never used it) I havenīt tried any of the list Na Horuk put together but it is really small, tack sharp, lightning fast AF

07-14-2013, 04:38 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you kidding me?
Embrace the new lens. Explore the telephoto world. You have two lenses which compliment each other well; a bit of overlap is a good thing.
Go and shoot heaps, then decide if you need something else.
07-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #9

I would suggest keeping the lens, I don't have a 70-300 but I do have a 50-200 WR that I do find handy in lots of situations. The f-stops may not look pretty but they still stand their own ground. Always nice to have a quick and easy telephoto zoom. If you have a budget to work around, going to a 40mm LTD or the 35mm 2.4 are good options for a budget prime lens. Used FA 50/1.4s and manual focus lenses are also great options to look at.

-Steve
07-14-2013, 06:00 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Sounds to me like you aren't pining for the extreme telephoto end. Primes are fun. They really open up your creativity. The 30-40mm range is very useful.
07-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It's great and I'm really pleased.... ....Not to sound ungrateful, if we returned the Sigma are there any other lens within that price range anyone here can recommend?
Sorry saint-david, I suspect its gonna come off as very ungrateful. You're treading delicate ground, ground that ought to be nurtured. The fact you ask the question is telling, and also why I get to offer and opinion.
07-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Any prime in the budget will duplicate a focal length covered by the 18-135 (unless you get a manual focus Zenit, or Jupiter, etc), and so that won't really seem like a new lens.

The 136-300 range will be handy at the zoo or daylight sports. I'd keep it for now.
07-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
My wife just bought me a new lens...
Would she like to buy me some too?
07-14-2013, 08:48 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

David???? Been married less than a month? Never been around a woman before this one? Friend, when it comes to camera gear, you don't ever turn away anything your wife gives you, not ever! What you do..... You act so excited she fears you might stroke out.....even faking a little faint is fully acceptable. If you can keep her on this trend, and sort of guide the results you desire, you will be one of the luckiest men here...guaranteed. If you turn her off of giving camera gear, and I pray it's not to late for this message, then you will be forever criticized when you want to buy a new lens or camera. Don't ask why or how that makes any sense, just trust me...after almost 50 years I know how this works. I learned the hard way many years ago, and like an elephant memory, Mrs Rupert recalls every little rejected item from those early years. It took years to overcome and get it right.
If she bought me a new Canon tomorrow, I would almost pass out with joy.....before reporting a week later that it was stolen and I had to replace it with the only thing available, a new Pentax.

You better wake up sonny boy, or it's gonna be a rough ride for you in your future. Don't try to tell me she's "different", none of them are "different" when it comes to rejection, you better believe it!

Best Regards!
07-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #15

Keep it and tell her that it is your new favorite lens. Wait for Christmas/Birthday to get a different lens. Women don't forget these things!

Edit: See above...the man knows what he is talking about!