Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Dang...everyone is putting out some great points...I typically want to go out and shoot come home plug the mem card in and view slash edit my photos either in RAW or jpeg and not have to worry about lockups/lag or losing any data....I see noone has mentioned Apple! howcome? 2nd Question: How and what are your feelings on plugging your camera directly into your PC/NOTEBOOK/TABLET?

07-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
OK it might be Print Shop Pro...couldn't remember for sure, everything is packed away in boxes right now...

So it's not a typo, it's a bad case of CRS...can't remember... ok stuff...
Hmmmm - sounds familiar, CRS, I've had it for years.
07-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brettsal Quote
Dang...everyone is putting out some great points...I typically want to go out and shoot come home plug the mem card in and view slash edit my photos either in RAW or jpeg and not have to worry about lockups/lag or losing any data....I see noone has mentioned Apple! howcome? 2nd Question: How and what are your feelings on plugging your camera directly into your PC/NOTEBOOK/TABLET?
Certainly, SDHC card readers are not in all PC's and Laptops yet. Some will read SD, but not SDHC or SDXC, so makes sense to check that before you buy.
My HP 8760w has the cardreader built in, so I find that works well for getting the photos off quickly and easily. You can, of course, also use PK Tether PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras if you want to see immediately what you're doing!

Nothing wrong with apples - But, most of my professional (work) software won't work with Apple, so no good for my purposes.
07-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
I personally have a thing for Apple computers. I am planning to buy a new computer device as my old Macbook Pro is almost on its last breath now.

I am planning to buy a Macbook Air as its light, uses flash storage so the loading and writing speed are top notch. I have almost never used CDs on my mac but if you know you are going to use CDs or DVDs then you can also buy external CD/DVD drive.

I think buying a desktop or a laptop depends on if you want it to be portable. If you would like to carry your device to places with you then dont get a desktop. Also tablets are not that powerful enough right now to be able to use professional photography softwares and other hardcore applications, including Windows tablets as the OEMs don't use the best hardware for them as they are oriented towards the average PC users rather than professionals.

I think the best thing to go for is a laptop with the latest processors (Haswell), extra RAM, a good screen for viewing your images and if possible flash storage as its much faster then traditional hard drives.

I think if budget is not an issue for you then you should go for the Macbook Pro with Retina display, as its got everything you need except for the CD drive.

Last edited by 2her0ck; 07-18-2013 at 06:07 PM.
07-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brettsal Quote

I'm not an Apple type guy, but I don't hold that against anyone. My point was simpler - no matter what type of computer you choose, use a calibrated fixed location monitor for your post processing work.

In answer to your question, I can directly (or with a USB card reader) read the SD card by my notebook, netbook, tablet, self-contained photo hard drive, or printer; OR attach the camera as an external storage device to my notebook, netbook, tablet or printer. In practice I almost always pull the SD card out of the camera - two reasons, if I don't have time I can set a card aside until later, but still use the camera with another card; and the biggest reason is that it doesn't make sense to me to suck down battery power just to turn my expensive camera into an external storage device.