Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #1

Just got my new K-30. What should I check to make sure is not DOA?

Hey pentaxians,

I just received my K-30 from hunts. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it came with 100-150+ counts in the shutter count. Other posts seem to mention that this should be OK given that there might be some QC checks in the way. However, some people say that they have gotten theirs with as low as 0-4 shots in the counter, some post mention 100+.

so, what should I check to make sure this is not a DOA camera?

I just wonder, this being my first DSLR, I might think something is working OK just because I compare it to a normal point and shoot but my perception of "OK" might be off from expectations for a DSLR. Specially the highly praised K-30!

I mean, the camera powers on, records pictures in the SD card, displays menus, display the focus points and information in the viewfinder (somewhat hard to see), buttons seem to be ok. However, are there some checks I can perform to make sure that other deeper/more rare functions work?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by jrcastillo; 07-18-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: typo
07-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jrcastillo Quote
Hey pentaxians,

I just received my K-30 from hunts. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it came with 100-150+ counts in the shutter count. Other posts seem to mention that this should be OK given that there might be some QC checks in the way. However, some people say that they have gotten theirs with as low as 0-4 shots in the counter, some post mention 100+.

so, what should I check to make sure this is not a DOA camera?

I just wonder, this being my first DSLR, I might think something is working OK just because I compare it to a normal point and shoot but my perception of "OK" might be off from expectations for a DSLR. Specially the highly praised K-30!

I mean, the camera powers on, records pictures in the SD card, displays menus, display the focus points and information in the viewfinder (somewhat hard to see), buttons seem to be ok. However, are there some checks I can perform to make sure that other deeper/more rare functions work?

Thanks a lot!
See if there's any dust on the sensor, that will tell you if it's been used before or not

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try all the dials and wheels. Live view. AF on different lenses. Should be fine.
07-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
See if there's any dust on the sensor, that will tell you if it's been used before or not
Set your aperture to the smallest possible (f/16+) and take a picture of the sky or some other bright uniform scene. You'll see the dust in the picture.