Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Post-trip care and WR

I'm taking my K-30 and 18-135WR on the ocean tomorrow, so I expect there will be lots of salt spray and other matter flying around. What should I do with the camera when I get back, wipe down, rinse off, etc. I've seen people put their cameras in showers and be fine, and others spill a little water and it gets inside the LCD.

Thanks.

07-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before you go, open and clean all the door gaskets, lens mounts etc. Just a clean damp cotton swab or chamois does the trick.

Personally I clean with a damp cloth after the camera gets dirty. Granted, I have limited access to saltwater here in Illiniois....
07-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #3

I always have a Rocketblower and a Lenspen on me while on trips. Protecting the glass is important, and the Rocketblower can blow all the other matter getting on the camera (works on the sensor for minor stuff). Wiping the camera w/ a cloth after it gets dirty is a good idea.

-Steve
07-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Depends on how much salt water you get on the camera. I recently took my K-5 and 50-135 sea-kayaking and it got a dunking by wave, I rinsed the camera thoroughly under slow running tap water when I got home, everything turned out fine.

If its just spray, a clean damp cloth should do the trick, just don't leave the salt water on the camera.

07-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are correct to be worried about salt water damage, but don't be overly concerned. I got a whale splash on my film KX with A 70-210 once at a show, and spent some time (much to the amusement of my family) wiping down the camera and lens with a wet cloth. The camera was traded in (stupid move!) some years later, still fully functional, and the lens is still in use. My daughter uses it on her K200d. The trick is to clean everything you can using fresh water and cloths to dry it after. With your combination, rinse and dry would be best, but do it before you open anything, even the card door. Salt water is quite corrosive.
07-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Another Choice?

I've been using the 'Zeiss Clean Screen Wipes' to clean up my gear after a dusty or wet outing. Not only good for the LCD screen(s) but the entire body, lens barrel, electrical contacts on the lens mount and body bayonet. Everything but the front optic, I use a lensPen for that.
Wipes come 50 a pack in a pop-up container, got mine at Best Buy Electronics. Lint, Alcohol and Ammonia free.
Ron
07-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions!
07-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I usually rinse off the camera and lens as soon as possible. If I use a sink without a veggie spray head, I won't let the full stream hit the camera... I put my hand in front of the stream and let the water drip off my hand onto the camera. WR is not designed for water under pressure. If I put the cam in a shower, I won't put the camera close to the shower head, instead, I'll put the camera closer to the floor so again, the pressure would have dissipated a bit.

I went on a whale watching boat last year and I got some "are you sure" looks. When I got back on shore and started rinsing my cam off in a sink, I got some "WTF are you doing" looks. I just laughed and told them it was weather sealed - the captain of the boat was very impressed.

Good luck and have fun!

oh yeah, when it comes to sand, blow (not with your mouth or pressurized can), brush, blow again and if you're sure the sand grains are off the lens, then rub.

07-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not to belabor this, but I was just playing around with the zoom, and I could definitely feel air escaping from the USB port cover and the battery door at least. Makes me wonder about the seals.