Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2013, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Turning off the K-50/K-30 LCD display.

Summary - The LCD display (monitor) for the K-50/K-30 can be switched off completely by setting | INFO | INFO | Select Display Off | and saving your settings to USER1 or USER2.

Intro - Previously, several people have asked how to switch the K-30 LCD screen completely off, because it can be annoying to have it shining into your face when taking pictures, notably in the dark. It can also save battery power. It appears that the K-50 and K-30 have no simple menu item for that, and I couldn't find any practical solutions on PF, so here is a working recipe I tried out on my K-50. I guess this will also work for the K-30 and K-500.

Overview - The LCD screen is switched on when the camera is turned on (Status Screen), when a picture is taken (Instant Review), and when Program Mode is changed (Guide Display). It is possible to switch the LCD screen off with | INFO | INFO | Select Display Off |, but it is not permanent, it is reset to 'Status Screen' again after the camera is switched off/on. You can, however, conserve this setting in a USER setting.
The Instant Review screen shows a copy of your photo after taking a picture. It must be switched off too by setting the display time to 'Off'.
The Guide Display shows up when the Program Mode is changed. Some have suggested to switch the Guide Display off as a general solution, but its effect is only limited to this screen itself (Menu Tool | 1 | LCD Display | Guide Display | Off). In the following receipe the default Guide Display behavior is not modified because it is not invasive (Guide Display = On).

Recipe - Switching off the LCD screen.

1) Disable showing an Instant Review after taking a picture.
Menu Rec. Mode | 4 | Instant Review | Display Time | Off |.

2) Switch the LCD display off.
Button INFO | Button INFO | select Display Off | Button OK.
The display is switched off.

3) Show the menu again.
Button MENU.

4) Save all your settings as user settings.
Menu Rec. Mode | 4 | Save USER Mode | Save Settings | USER 1 (USER 2) | Save | OK.
Don't forget the OK button.

5) Set the mode dial on top of the camera to U1 (U2).
The Guide Display is shown for a short time, the display is then turns off.

When the camera is turned on in this state, with the mode dial in position U1 (U2), the LCD screen is still showing the Date Adjustment screen (as if the camera is turned on for the first time), because a USER1 (USER 2) setting has its own Date Format, Date and Time. They must be set seperately:

6) Set program mode dial to U1 (U2).

7) Show menu with button MENU.

8) Set Date Format, Date and Time.
Menu Tools | 1 | Language, Date Adjustment.
Date Format, Date, Time, Settings Complete | OK.

9) Back to menu with button MENU.

10) Save this in the already existing USER1 (USER 2) setting.
Menu Rec. Mode | 4 | Save User Mode | Check saved settings | USER 1 (USER 2) | Save | OK.

With this recipe the screen stays off when the camera is turned on and also when a picture is taken.
Switching off the screen can be assigned to USER1 or USER2 for this purpose, or it can be integrated in already existing USER1 or USER2 settings.
The menu screen can be accessed at any time with the MENU button, as usual.
You can quickly return to 'normal' by selecting another program with the mode dial.

07-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting.... when I turn off the LCD display via the INFO button, it's a permanent change that persists through turning the camera (K-30) off and then back on.
07-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Interesting.... when I turn off the LCD display via the INFO button, it's a permanent change that persists through turning the camera (K-30) off and then back on.
Interesting indeed. I tried again, but on the K-50 the | INFO | INFO | Select Display Off | setting doesn't persist. Currently there are not many K-50's out there, so we'll have to wait what they say.
07-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you checked the settings memory settings in the menu? I don't have my K-5 here at the moment so I can't check it.

07-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Have you checked the settings memory settings in the menu? I don't have my K-5 here at the moment so I can't check it.
All my settings in | Menu Rec. Mode | 4 | Memory | are checked, except Digital filter, HDR Capture and Shooting Info Display.

Edit:
The K5 is different. You can directly switch the LCD display off with | Menu Tools 1 | Status screen | Off |.
The top display stays on.

Last edited by Kobayashi.K; 07-19-2013 at 03:43 PM.
07-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #6

With my K30 ( just purchased ), the LCD off persist doesn't persist through off/on. Ithink Pentax should address this with a firmware update.
07-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #7

forgot to specify I have updated firmware to 1.04.

07-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ybo1 Quote
With my K30 ( just purchased ), the LCD off persist doesn't persist through off/on. Ithink Pentax should address this with a firmware update.
Thanks ybo1. I'm getting a vague feeling that there might be another setting that has influence. I have seen other threads in which the INFO setting was presented as a solution, and I was actually disappointed that it wasn't the case. But now I get also different results from K-30's.
07-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ybo1 Quote
Something else is making this happen. I just turned my K-30 on and off three times in a row... LCD never came on.
07-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Something else is making this happen. I just turned my K-30 on and off three times in a row... LCD never came on.
Did you turn instant review off too? I'm not sure, it may need to be off also. I had my screen off, but decided I liked having it on
07-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Did you turn instant review off too? I'm not sure, it may need to be off also. I had my screen off, but decided I liked having it on
Yes, I turned Instant Review off as well. I like the LCD, too, but did this test because of the OP's problem.

edit: Doesn't seem to be Instant Review. Set mine for 3 seconds... still no problem with the LCD staying off when turning the camera on.

Last edited by IchabodCrane; 07-19-2013 at 07:03 PM.
07-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #12

Thank you Kobayashi.K! It works perfectly on my K-30. I am not getting any problems with my camera.

Just a note that as you have to re-configure all the settings to your needs, I did need to re-enable the use of the Aperture Ring in the Menu to use Manual Lenses. So don't forget that if you want to use your classic collection of lenses!

But thanks again! Now I can use my camera like a SLR and it will be less battery hungry!

Also I haven't upgraded my firmware on the K-30 since I bought it. Is it that important?
07-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 2her0ck Quote
Thank you Kobayashi.K! It works perfectly on my K-30. I am not getting any problems with my camera.

Just a note that as you have to re-configure all the settings to your needs, I did need to re-enable the use of the Aperture Ring in the Menu to use Manual Lenses. So don't forget that if you want to use your classic collection of lenses!

But thanks again! Now I can use my camera like a SLR and it will be less battery hungry!

Also I haven't upgraded my firmware on the K-30 since I bought it. Is it that important?
My pleasure. Sorry for the slow answer, I'm in time zone GMT +1.

Good note on reconfiguring the other settings.
I'm an old SLR guy too and I also like to have a setup that is as simple as possible. So, yes, that was one of the reasons to look at this.
Besides that, I think USER settings have a lot of potential, they are a bit undervaluated.

I would generally say that it's a good habit to upgrade your firmware. If you are concerned about harmful consequences you can wait one or two weeks after release and check on PentaxForums if there are any issues.
In your case its sufficient to get the latest firmware version because it also contains all the changes of the previous ones.
07-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #14

I couldn't find any decent info in the handbook, so I turned to the internet and found this thread. I use a Pentax K-500 (upgraded from a *ist DS bought six years ago - so next time to upgrade will be in 2019 or so) and I tried the I INFO I INFO I and then turning off the screen. It's not persistent (goes away when turned off and then on again) but they should have made either a save button on that screen or making it persistent.

Even when the LCD is turned off, it briefly shows the changed mode when you turn the dial.

Using the saved settings in U1/U2 as mentioned above, I suppose I can't access the TV/AV settings without returning to the annoying LCD show?
07-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

For all those who aren't finding the LCD screen state persistent, are you pressing the OK button after you select LCD Off (via INFO, INFO)? I'm having no problem with the persistence if I press the OK button.