Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
For all those who aren't finding the LCD screen state persistent, are you pressing the OK button after you select LCD Off (via INFO, INFO)? I'm having no problem with the persistence if I press the OK button.
oh yes ! I have tried it numerous times on my k30. The off setting does not persist after a turn off and back on. Quite annoying !

07-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For all those who aren't finding the LCD screen state persistent, are you pressing the OK button after you select LCD Off (via INFO, INFO)? I'm having no problem with the persistence if I press the OK button.
Even when I close with the OK button it's not persistent on the K-50. Definitively.

It doesn't seem to be consistent, even between K-30 devices (we must wait what K-50 owners are saying), but it could be dependent on the firmware version.

Also, saving 'display off' via USER settings isn't documented in the user manuals for K30/K50/K500. Chapter 'Saving Frequently Used Settings' has a list of settings that are saved with | Menu Rec. Mode | 4 | Save User Mode |, but INFO isn't mentioned. And when it's not documented PENTAX isn't obliged to maintain it. So, in a sense what we have done is a hack.
07-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knaster Quote
I couldn't find any decent info in the handbook, so I turned to the internet and found this thread. I use a Pentax K-500 (upgraded from a *ist DS bought six years ago - so next time to upgrade will be in 2019 or so) and I tried the I INFO I INFO I and then turning off the screen. It's not persistent (goes away when turned off and then on again) but they should have made either a save button on that screen or making it persistent.

Even when the LCD is turned off, it briefly shows the changed mode when you turn the dial.

Using the saved settings in U1/U2 as mentioned above, I suppose I can't access the TV/AV settings without returning to the annoying LCD show?
Welcome knaster. I also recently joined PentaxForums and it's a valuable source of information!

Your question about Tv/Av.
You can modify an often used Tv or Av setting by adding the 'display off' option (as described) and save it as USER U1 or U2. But yes, returning to Tv or Av via the mode dial annihilates 'display off' when it's not persistent via the INFO settings.
07-20-2013, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Solution

I found a solution to make INFO setting for switching the display off persistent without using USER1 (USER2), suggested by rawr (post #5), link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-500/231917-pentax-k-500-first-day-impressions.html

The complete procedure is as follows:

1) Make sure INFO settings are saved.
| Menu Rec. Mode | 4 | Memory | 2 | Shooting Info Display, check | Button MENU | Button MENU |

2) Disable showing an Instant Review after taking a picture.
Menu Rec. Mode | 4 | Instant Review | Display Time | Off |.

3) Switch off the LCD display.
Button INFO | Button INFO | select Display Off | Button OK.
The display is switched off.

That's it.

07-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
I found a solution to make INFO setting for switching the display off persistent without using USER1 (USER2), suggested by rawr (post #5), link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-500/231917-pentax-k-500-first-day-impressions.html

The complete procedure is as follows:

| Menu Rec. Mode | 4 | Memory | 2 | Shooting Info Display, check | Button MENU | Button MENU |

That's it.
Good catch! How did we all overlook the obvious? I've been stumped over other things because of not paying attention to the Memory settings tab.

BTW, you don't have to turn off Instant Review to make the LCD off be persistent. Give it a try.
07-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good catch! How did we all overlook the obvious? I've been stumped over other things because of not paying attention to the Memory settings tab.

BTW, you don't have to turn off Instant Review to make the LCD off be persistent. Give it a try.
I tried that. Switching off Instant Review is still needed to prevent showing up a copy of your photo on the LCD screen after pressing the shutter release button. That's what I see on my K-50. Don't know about K-30.
07-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #22
Pentaxian

That's it.
just tried to K-30 and works perfectly, menu the does not work the next time you power on the camera,great, sits, perfectly done

Last edited by mbukal; 07-20-2013 at 04:26 PM.
07-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried that. Switching off Instant Review is still needed to prevent showing up a copy of your photo on the LCD screen after pressing the shutter release button. That's what I see on my K-50. Don't know about K-30.
That's right but it's expected behavior. If you leave Instant Review on, the only time the LCD will come on by itself is to display the photo you just captured for however long you set it for. It doesn't affect the LCD staying off when you turn the camera on, etc.
07-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #24

Thank you Kobayahi

Yes, the trick is in the Memory Settings tab. Just checked the box on my K30 ant it works : LCD stays off.

Now, I would like to recall the Shooting info screen by the press of one button only, and then turn it off by repsseing it to turn it off. IS there qa way to program a button to do that ?
07-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ybo1 Quote
Thank you Kobayahi

Yes, the trick is in the Memory Settings tab. Just checked the box on my K30 ant it works : LCD stays off.

Now, I would like to recall the Shooting info screen by the press of one button only, and then turn it off by repsseing it to turn it off. IS there qa way to program a button to do that ?
Do you mean showing the Status Screen in a quick way when the LCD screen is turned off?
That would be nice.

The RAW/Fx button can be programmed, but only with a limited set of functions.
I have tried several buttons, and even combinations (INFO + MENU), but I could not find another way than | Button INFO | Button INFO | Status Screen |.
I fear that we must pay a price for this.

This is still working:
- The info in de viewfinder (quite a lot).
- Menu's can be quickly shown with button MENU.
- Photo's can be shown with the [>] Playback button and the four-way controller, optionally combined with the INFO button.

Only 4 month ago I started shooting digital (K5-II) and my K-50 is one week old, so I'm not considering myself as an expert. I appreciate the help of you all, notably the more experienced K-30 guys/gals.
07-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #26

Do you mean showing the Status Screen in a quick way when the LCD screen is turned off?
That would be nice.

The RAW/Fx button can be programmed, but only with a limited set of functions.
I have tried several buttons, and even combinations (INFO + MENU), but I could not find another way than | Button INFO | Button INFO | Status Screen |.
I fear that we must pay a price for this.

This is still working:
- The info in de viewfinder (quite a lot).
- Menu's can be quickly shown with button MENU.
- Photo's can be shown with the [>] Playback button and the four-way controller, optionally combined with the INFO button.

Only 4 month ago I started shooting digital (K5-II) and my K-50 is one week old, so I'm not considering myself as an expert. I appreciate the help of you all, notably the more experienced K-30 guys/gals.
Yes, what you outlined above is exactly what I am doing. it is still convenient enough.
It would a nice bonus though to be able to recall the 'Shooting Info' screen with one button only...I got that with my K10....
04-21-2014, 07:43 PM   #27
Veteran Member

As already mentioned above, "ticking" or checking the box on the memory "info button display" then returning to pressing the "info" button to turn off the display would permanently turn off the display even when you turn the camera "off" then "on" again.

I also would love to have to just press one button (info button) to bring up the display then press it once again to disable display.
I really do wish Ricoh/Pentax addresses this with a firmware update.
It suggests on their site though that unchecking the guide display would disable it but it does not seem to be the case.
To my observation, unchecking that box doesn't do anything or my camera does not work with that function. =(
05-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #28

Thanks. I am glad I found this thread. That box should be checked off at production.

I was getting full of regrets until I found this solution...
05-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I must have got my k-30 right on day 1 as I've never had a problem with an unwanted LCD display. The only time I intentionally switch it on (apart from it showing for timer/ flash etc adjustments briefly) is to see the battery level.
05-31-2014, 08:19 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you so much!!!!