Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Problem with saturation in diferent comptuers, i need judges.

Hi, i process my images in my laptop and today i saw them in the computer of my parents and they look really different, i don't know wich one is correct, for example this image in my laptop looks fine:
flor morada | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
but in the computer of my parents looks oversaturated.
this is the same photo but i selected less saturation (in my laptop looks kinda grey but in the computer of my parents looks correct).
flor morada ss | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

for you wich one looks "correct" in terms of saturation.

Thanks for you responses and advices.

07-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The original looks correct, the SS version looks dull. Perhaps your parent's computer has a vibrant setting enabled - did you check the unit's menu or settings?
07-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #3

I wonder does it also affect the image quality when they are uploaded on image hosting sites like picasaweb or flickr. I ask because sometimes I upload the same photo to both flickr & picasaweb but the image tone/saturation differs slightly sometimes.
07-19-2013, 04:18 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

I also think the first one is the better version.
Monitors must be calibrated, otherwise they will render colours... uniquely. And a lot of monitors are "smart" - they have their own filters to boost contrast or saturation. For photo editing you have to turn these off. You can also buy calibration tools (looks like a mouse that you put on the monitor and then you run its software)

And yes, when you upload a photo to a website, the website might do things to it. Websites usually resize, which can affect sharpness or even create artifacts, if the website recompresses the photo. You can avoid this by resizing the photo yourself before you upload it, just check how your chosen website deals with this and what size (dimensions, and kB size) is "safe" from auto-resizing.
Colours can become an issue if the jpeg is saved as ProRGB or AdobeRGB, because websites prefer things in sRGB, and when they convert it, they can mess things up. Even internet browsers (Internet explorer, Firefox, Chrome,..) can also render different colour space oddly. sRGB is the safest choice for online uses. You can set colour space to sRGB on the camera, but you also have to set it in your raw converter software when you export to jpeg.

07-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I concur, the ss is grey, the first one appears correctly calibrated. My monitor is not super calibrated or anything.

I set my camera on Neutral, and I pretty much just rely on my camera for saturation. If you keep it set on vibrant, then you'll need to tone it down sometimes.
07-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Unless the monitor gamma is right then the saturation won't be either, so the first step is to get that as right as you can.

About halfway down this page on the right is a gamma and black level chart. On a PC you want a gamma of 2.2 consistent with being able to see all levels of white/grey/black as distinct from each other on a chart like this one
A lot of monitors only have brightness and contrast controls to play with but you may be able to get close.
07-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Viewed on a ipad both look identical which is odd.
07-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Viewed on a ipad both look identical which is odd.
Can confirm this. Both look pretty identical on ipad.

07-20-2013, 01:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

on my colour corrected for my printer screen they both look fine with out knowing the plant and its true colour/hue I would not know which is more correct but I prefer the less saturated one

on my 2nd screen that is corrected to srgb and therefore is more like the average screen and my ipad I prefer the ss version.

I would think your laptop needs adjusting and any way laptops screens never make correct.accurate viewing platforms.

Last edited by adwb; 07-21-2013 at 12:50 AM.
07-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

laptop monitors are lousy tools for judging between images. Unless you can maintain exactly the same viewing angle between images, you will get shifts in contrast and color. Doubt me? Put a single full frame image on the monitor and start tiling the LCD panel. For all critical comparisons you need a calibrated fixed location (desktop) monitor. You can still use your laptop - just use the external monitor port. And know that what you see on your monitor will likely not match what somebody else sees on their monitor for all the reasons given earlier in this thread.
07-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
Aux

get a monitor with ips display and calibrate it. most of laptops have crappy tns.
07-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
laptop monitors are lousy tools for judging between images. Unless you can maintain exactly the same viewing angle between images, you will get shifts in contrast and color. Doubt me? Put a single full frame image on the monitor and start tiling the LCD panel. For all critical comparisons you need a calibrated fixed location (desktop) monitor. You can still use your laptop - just use the external monitor port. And know that what you see on your monitor will likely not match what somebody else sees on their monitor for all the reasons given earlier in this thread.
On most laptops they use TN panels optimised for low power consumption and viewing angles aren't just narrow, they're that tight you get a different contrast at the top of the screen compared with the bottom even when you view from the optimum central position.
07-21-2013, 12:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Can confirm this. Both look pretty identical on ipad.
Which I guess says something about the much advertised ipad screen, not sure what mind you.
07-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The original looks correct, the SS version looks dull. Perhaps your parent's computer has a vibrant setting enabled - did you check the unit's menu or settings?

+1 on what he said. I had to get them side by side to really bring it out. I do think my monitor is pretty close to accurate as it needed serious tweaking after I upgraded to win7.
07-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #15

Original Poster
I have come to the conclusion that both of the computers might need calibration. I will try to save for the ips monitor (mabe in xmas i will be able to get a cheap one). Until then i will try to do the best i can with what i have and i will take into consideration all you guys told me.( and mabe save in raw important images).

Thanks