Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
New K30, great pics, crappy video, but why?

Just received my new K30 with the WR 18-55 lens and am VERY happy with the picture quality, but WOW the video looks so bad either I must be doing something wrong, or there is something wrong with the camera. No matter what I do the video looks like its slightly not in focus despite manually focusing or using the automatic focus on the subject prior to recording. Even if I stop down, still the same result. My K5 video looks 100 times better at 720p than the K30 at 1080p, and even then I'm not trying too hard to get the K5 focus spot on. If this is how the K30 really shoots video, man talk about being disappointed. I hope its just me though b/c if it isnt this will drive me NUTS. That to me would be like getting a porsche and then finding out it doesn't come with A/C, so just roll your windows down thats good enough. Thanks to all for letting me vent, I hope you don't mind.

07-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you put some video up maybe you can get some critique or guidance on settings and technique. A question, what cameras have you shot video with before?

I've only shot video a couple of weeks after getting the camera. I actually thought it was pretty good for no practice and horrible lighting conditions.
07-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
I've had a canon 7d and also shot with my k5. As I had said before, the difference was pretty significant. I will have to see how to post a video to flickr and do that ASAP. My connection isn't the greatest right now at the hotel where I am however I should be able to post something within the next couple of days. The video just looks plain bad, nothing ever looks really sharp in it while in my k5 its tack sharp even with a slow and cheap 70-300 zoom lens on it. I'm using the 18-55 WR lens on the k30. I've also swapped out the memory card thinking maybe that could be the issue however I get the same crappy results.
07-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There's several example videos here to compare. The few videos I've shot look sharp and smooth enough to me but I'm not really a video person.

07-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can shoot good looking video with your K-30 ... the following commercial was supposedly shot with a K-01, which uses the same video processor as your K-30.

That said, your camera is optimized for still photography rather than video. I find it much easier in many cases to use a camera optimized for video if I want video. My video camera takes still photos too, but they are lousy. It is the same problem but the other end of the stick.
07-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #6

Original Poster
I originally had and still have a k5, on a whim a while back I bought a nikon 3200 but didnt keep it bc Pentax has me spoiled as the 3200 just didnt feel right and I felt Pentax build quality was far and above the build quality of the 3200. The video it could take was outstanding and since the k5 video is excellent as well, I just felt the k30 would be at least as good or even better than the k5 however either I'm wrong and this is just how the video looks from the k30, or there is a problem with my camera. I guess I had high expectactions and feel like I've been let down and am very disappointed with the video quality, the pic quality however is fantastic in comparison.

It just hit me that the video looks as if it is just generally out of focus and is not sharp despite ensuring it is in focus in the lcd screen prior to shooting. Even if I try to change the focus manually and stop it down, still the same result...when I focus through the lcd the same way though and take a picture, the pic is outstanding and very sharp.

I read somewhere the SR for movies does not rely on moving the sensor around as it would in the K5 but it utilizes the sensor in a differnt way to apply SR through digital means. It seems crazy to me why they would try something like this, but I suppose they have their reasons far beyond my understanding
07-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Aux

you got crap because pod crappy kit lens. I shot videos with very sharp lenses and videos are great.
07-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It's unlikely but possible your PC viewing software doesn't like K-30 videos, they do seem to be a bit fussy from my limited experience. I use PotPlayer and shoot at 720p 60fps and videos look good to me.

07-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Until you post a video, it is pretty much going to be conjecture. The biggest difference between the K-5 and K-30/K-01 is the compression which is fairly aggressive with these camera processors. The quality of the lens, brightness and contrast of the scene all have an impact on the outcome. Of course, your screen and computer processor can also alter perceived sharpness on compressed video. Bottom line, none of the Pentax cameras are going to give you broadcast quality video. I'd say its closer to business commercial class overall. On the down side for the K-5 is even at 720 the file size is much larger than compressed 1080 coming from the K-30/K-01 - or even other brands like Panasonic that do not compress so heavily.