Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2013, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

K-50/K5 grip size comparison.

For K5(II) owners who consider purchasing a K-50 as a second camera, and to address questions about differences in handling I have made a drawing with the grip sizes:

Sizes are in mm and measured with a caliper but they have quite large tolerances because it's all bends and curves that are flowing into each other.

The two grips have surprisingly similar sizes in spite of their different shapes. The profile of the grip front for the K5 has an indent for only one finger, the indent on the K-50 is a bit larger and is more smooth (drawing, RIGHT). The K-50 grip is a little bit narrower and it has the same amount of extra space between grip and mirror box, but it's only 2 to 3 mm (drawing, FRONT). At the same time the K-50 has a bit more room for your finger tips, but that too is only about 2 mm (drawing, TOP).

When kept in hand the K5 feels a tiny bit more thicker (more comfortable) because of the slightly wider grip and the narrower indent at the front. This was 'measured' with small hands.

These small differences evaporate when the K5 is fitted with an extra battery grip D-BG4 (not an option for K-50). It adds an extra 40 mm to the height of the camera, which gives more support to the lower part of your hand.

Last edited by Tom S.; 08-18-2013 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Image link changed.
07-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful work and great information. Thanks.
07-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for this. Good to see the ergonomics still make sense.
07-28-2013, 04:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow, excellent! Thanks a lot

07-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Camerasize.com is also a useful site to visually compare these sort of things:

Compare camera dimensions side by side
Attached Images

08-01-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Because of rawr's comment I have now made a portrait from the two camera's to allow a more realistic comparison between them.

On the K5 the original battery grip D-BG4 and the cable switch CS-205. The straps are recycled from my Nikon film camera's.

This photo is taken via a mirror with the K5, which explains the cloudy spots. I also had to turn the camera's slightly inwards for showing them from the front. That's the reason the perspective looks a bit weird, notably for the K-50.
08-05-2013, 01:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Pentax haven't yet done better than the K-7/K-5 design imho. I've never seen a more attractive body dslr yet, it's just in it's own class.
What I find visually disturbing with the K-50/K-500 is the 'saddle' in the mode-dial area. Totally spoils the design for me.
08-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Pentax haven't yet done better than the K-7/K-5 design imho. I've never seen a more attractive body dslr yet, it's just in it's own class.
What I find visually disturbing with the K-50/K-500 is the 'saddle' in the mode-dial area. Totally spoils the design for me.
I agree with you concerning the K5 design, and you can wonder why they have chosen to adopt more of the Canon and Nikon style for the K-50 instead of distinguishing themselves with straight lines. I guess they reasoned that too many people would have qualified it as too traditional or even old-fashioned. On the other hand, the K-50 has inherited much of the K-x, including the 'saddle'. So, it's actually styled in Pentax's tradition. I'm curious to see what they will do with the K5-II replacement and/or the expected camera above it.

Last edited by Kobayashi.K; 08-05-2013 at 12:42 PM.