Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #1

Pentax K 30

Hi,

I bought Pentax K-30 few days ago together with one of my friend in the same time,
I was just wondering when comparing my camera's photos with the one which my friend owned,
Mine one showing more yellowish tone in same shot under the same setting and conditions, especially indoor shots,
I mean nothing wrong with the picture quality but I just curious that what cause to have this reason where as both models, lenses, settings and environments are the same.
Any has an idea or opinion about this issue? Thanks a lot!

07-22-2013, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your WB balance settings may be different. Or if you are both on automatic WB and in an environment with multiple different light sources even a slight difference in the shot can cause the system to read it differently resulting in a different WB.
07-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, WB...White Balance

Go through the settings, should be one there that will do better in your lighting situation. I never use auto WB, it just didn't do well enough as far as I was concerned. Indoors, I don't know, I haven't tried much indoor shooting, but outside the other settings for sunny, shady and cloudy etc do lots better than auto. inside, it has settings for different types of lighting, try them and see which one works best, and there's also a custom White Balance but I haven't seen a need for it so I don't know how to use it.
07-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

AWB on the K-30 beats most cameras indoors if you want natural colours. Set the C2 menu item 'AWB in Tungsten Light' to 2 to get rid of the low indoor yellow light look, but leave it at 1 if you want yellow candle light to stay yellow. Also you can fine tune any WB setting, including AWB; press the WB rocker switch, select AWB, press INFO then use the 4-way cursor to adjust colour, try 2 clicks to the right (Amber), press OK, OK to get out.

07-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vbasia Quote
Hi,

I bought Pentax K-30 few days ago together with one of my friend in the same time,
I was just wondering when comparing my camera's photos with the one which my friend owned,
Mine one showing more yellowish tone in same shot under the same setting and conditions, especially indoor shots,
I mean nothing wrong with the picture quality but I just curious that what cause to have this reason where as both models, lenses, settings and environments are the same.
Any has an idea or opinion about this issue? Thanks a lot!
Welcome to the fold!

Sounds like a white balance issue. The previous posters have already covered how to handle it, so I won't bother.

I wanted to add that I used to set my white balance manually depending on the shot. Then one day I just set it on autoWB, and I haven't looked back. The K30 does a good enough job of setting the WB, and any issues (yellow tinting for example) are easily fixed in almost any processing software. It's just a couple of mouse clicks in Lightroom.

Welcome again.
07-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And yet... if this is consistent, photo to photo, then one camera's AWB seeing slightly different scenery doesn't explain the difference. You can repeat the test using the same fixed white balance to see if the two are more similar.

But if there is sample color balance variation, then that does seem to throw off all those careful lab tests of a single sample being indicative of the camera model's performance...
07-26-2013, 01:54 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi All,

Thanks a lot of your kind advice, Yes! exactly it was the WB difference setting, perhaps playing around with the feature I might clicked it to another setting,
The problem solved! Cheer!
07-26-2013, 01:58 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
AWB on the K-30 beats most cameras indoors if you want natural colours. Set the C2 menu item 'AWB in Tungsten Light' to 2 to get rid of the low indoor yellow light look, but leave it at 1 if you want yellow candle light to stay yellow. Also you can fine tune any WB setting, including AWB; press the WB rocker switch, select AWB, press INFO then use the 4-way cursor to adjust colour, try 2 clicks to the right (Amber), press OK, OK to get out.
Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for your useful tip, I really liked the change which came after setting the AWB in "Tungsten Light" the indoor images taken on this setting came out really marvelous.

Cheers!