Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #1

double exposure shots

is it possible to take double exposure shots - as per the article below - with the pentax k-30? thanks...

07-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jkjack Quote
is it possible to take double exposure shots - as per the article below - with the pentax k-30? thanks...
Page 126 of your manual; Record Mode 2.

I recommend downloading the pdf version of the manual and storing it on your PC. If you hate reading manuals, you can do electronic searches instead of flipping pages. In this case the search term was "multiple exposure".
07-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #3

I know there are 3 ways to take multi exposure?

1- HDR (seems to only work on JPEG) seems takes 3 pictures and mix them in camera
2- Bracketing (you can select this from the drive mode i think is the farthest to the left)
3- Multi exposure

I have gone through a great part of the manual and already went over the parts that explain 2 and 3. I couldnt really understand the difference. I mean, at the beginning i thought that the difference was that in bracketing the camera changes the exposure automatically and in multi exposure you can do it manually, but then i noticed that in multi exposure there is an option ot have the camera select the exposure automatically based on number of shots.

can someone explain the difference between 2 and 3?

thanks!
07-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

2 you take several shots at different exposures to blend later in a PC

3 the camera takes several shots at the same exposure and layers them on top of one another. So if yo u use auto exposure the final image hopefully looks correctly exposed dispute having actually been very overexposed.

I think!!!

Last edited by adwb; 07-25-2013 at 11:57 PM.
07-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
1the camera does the mixing of images
2 you do it in a PC
and 2 and 3? Those are kind of the ones i am wondering about
07-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by jrcastillo Quote
I know there are 3 ways to take multi exposure?

1- HDR (seems to only work on JPEG) seems takes 3 pictures and mix them in camera
2- Bracketing (you can select this from the drive mode i think is the farthest to the left)
3- Multi exposure

I have gone through a great part of the manual and already went over the parts that explain 2 and 3. I couldnt really understand the difference. I mean, at the beginning i thought that the difference was that in bracketing the camera changes the exposure automatically and in multi exposure you can do it manually, but then i noticed that in multi exposure there is an option ot have the camera select the exposure automatically based on number of shots.

can someone explain the difference between 2 and 3?

thanks!
Traditionally the idea of multi exposure is that you overlay 2 (or more) different images (different composition). In practice the difference between 2 and 3 does reflect that. Namely when you do bracketing you press the shutter once and you get 3 (or whatever number you select) pictures instantly (almost), so composition will be the same. In multi exposure mode you have to press the shutter button to take every picture and the result is being saved as a single merged image (and not several pictures and in bracketing).

So the differences between 2 and 3 are:
  • you have to press the shutter button to take every shot in Multi Exposure mode, when bracketing you press the shutter button only once
  • in multi exposure mode you can change composition between the shots *
  • in Multi Exposure mode you can also refocus as you please between the shots of course unlike in all other modes
  • when bracketing each image is being saved individually, so the end result is n pictures with different exposure, in Multi Exposure mode you have only 1 image at the end - which is the combined image from all the shots
(I have the K-5 and I have assumed the K-30 works in the same way)

* it means that in Multi Exposure mode you can take a landscape picture, then a picture of something else (for instance a picture of a paining). The result is saved as a single image with both shots blended together

Last edited by vanyagor; 07-26-2013 at 01:39 AM.
07-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #7

so would that make 1 and 3 the same then?
07-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

no, cause in1 each shot is taken as a bracket exposure sequence and joined up hence hdr

3 tries to calculate the difference required when taking multiple shots to give you a correct exposure and also gives you the option not to change exposure.

best to test and look at the results its probably easier than try to explain.

07-26-2013, 01:03 AM   #9

No. HDR takes several shots instantly (with a single shutter press), so you can not recompose. Really think of Multi Exposure mode as means of merging several different scenes, not merging different exposures of the same scene

Also HDR is JPEG only, while Multi Exposure can merge and gives final result as a RAW file (or JPEG, or both)
07-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by vanyagor Quote
Really think of Multi Exposure mode as means of merging several different scenes
does anybody have a sample image of this?

Thanks a lot!
07-26-2013, 01:30 AM   #11

Thanks a lot!
Multiple Exposure Model Shoot with the Pentax K-5 - The Digital Story
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/178052-k-5-double-exposures.html#post1860469
(meaningful part starts at 2:20 and by 3:40 they show the 1st example I think)
Flickr: Discussing double exposure in-camera in Pentax K-5 / K-5 II / K-5 IIs Photographers

Search for Multi Exposure examples with K-5 and you should find many more
07-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a 5 shot multi-exposure I did while back. Individual images overlaid in and exposure compensated for by the camera.
Multiexposure. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!