Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Arca-Swiss QR plate for K-30

Does anyone use a Kirk or RRS plate on their K-30 that has a lip? I don't like generic plates since they have a tendency to spin. It doesn't have to be an "L" plate but I would like it to have a strap lug on it.

07-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to take a look at the Giottos plate. It is generic, but has flip-up tabs to combat "spin". I have found that it works well at a fairly reasonable price point.

Giottos MH-646 Quick Release Plate for MH-656 MH646 B&H Photo

No strap lug though

Steve
07-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

About 5 years ago I picked up an Arcatech GP ballhead and a plate for the K100D. I have used the plate on the K100, K20, K5 and the Q, although I did acquire a L Bracket for both the K20 and K5. The plate is pretty generic, however it does have a slot that enables you to adjust to the thickness of the camera (enabling you to slide the lip right into place). Here is a link to a similar designed plate.Based on the observation above, I would not hesitate in picking up a plate for a different brand of camera with a similar body depth / thickness. I don't know that the curve of the lip makes a big difference. One thing that might make a difference is if the lip is not really a curved lip, but more of a 90 degree perpendicular curb.

Canon 7D
Dimensions (W x H x D) Approx. 5.8 x 4.4 x 2.9 in.

Pentax K30
Body dimensions (W x H x D): 5.1 x 3.8 x 2.8”
The slide in my plate is 3/4 of in inch long, so I would think that the plate for the 7D would work just fine on a K30. The only problem that comes to mind is where the battery door is located and the potential of having the plate cover it to a degree. When I bought my L Bracket (from Kirk) for the K20, it was right before the K20 went end of life. Same with the K5. I did try the K20 L Bracket on the K5 and given their difference in length there was a gap between the bracket and the K5. I would only buy an L Bracket fit and designed for the camera I had. With the K30 out of production, I doubt that you will find a K30 specific plate anytime soon. I don't know that anyone actually made one. Even with the new K5II/IIs, all the vendors closed out their K5 parts and did not restock again. It just may be the relatively small market for Pentax as compared to Nikon and Canon.

I will say that for the Arcatech and Kirk products, they are machined aluminum and not drop forged or stamped. Essentially they are indestructible - they may scratch a bit, but will not break or bend.

hope that helps...

Last edited by interested_observer; 07-27-2013 at 03:46 PM.
07-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I have lipped plate from Markins PG-34N on my k-5 and a PG-32 on the k-x.

07-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Kirk has a plate for the K-7 that I'll try. It looks like the K-30 dimensions are a tiny bit smaller but maybe it'll work.
07-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #6

Camdapter has a variety of plates for use with their hand straps/straps. They have the fitting for straps. Camdapter - The Adapter

Regards
07-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BensonW Quote
Kirk has a plate for the K-7 that I'll try. It looks like the K-30 dimensions are a tiny bit smaller but maybe it'll work.
I would think that it would be essentially a custom fit, especially with the slot so that you can adjust it for a perfect fit. It also has the strap option.

07-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I will be sure to update the thread with the results.Since they're practically giving K-30's away now, more and more people will be needing the info.