Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #1

Broken Lens Mount

So, after just 8 days of ownership and 2 uses the brand new DA L 55-300 lens I purchased has broken. Was out this morning taking some shots of a lake and had the lens installed on my K-30 and both were atop my tripod sitting their peacefully when all of the sudden the lens just bent right off and hung there. I wasn't even touching it at the time. Is this normal behavior for this lens?

I was really getting to like this lens too and want to get it replaced. Question is should I contact the seller from which I ordered it through Amazon or Pentax? Or can I buy a metal lens mount to install in place of the fractured plastic one? Also, can I sue Pentax for punitive damages? I'm very hurt by this. (jk, old jerky boys reference there, kids)

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
07-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that is the first broken mount I`ve heard of except for dropping/severe trauma.
At 8 days I would contact the seller and ask for replacement. Did you buy new or was this a used or `warehouse` deal?
07-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
It was new. I've since contacted the seller about getting it replaced. Waiting to hear back.
07-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wondering if they got it back as a return and sold it on again as new without checking it. From the picture that damage was caused by dropping or other impact not a defect.

07-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #5

If you haven't filled out the warranty card or otherwise registered the serial numbers I would contact the seller. Which you have done.

I've heard of Nikon plastic mounts breaking after a year or so and not covered by warranty.

Good luck. You're probably in for some grief to try to "prove" it was not abused.
07-27-2013, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I seriously doubt that there wasn't any earlier heavy sharp force cracking it. Did it lie in a bag earlier or something like that? Plastics like that don't just suddenly brake like that.
07-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You might pick up a second hand metal mount lens from which you can take the mount. I got an DA 18-55 AL with a metal mount two weeks ago for $10 off eBay. It had a tiny chip in the front lens so I was the only bidder.

07-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I seriously doubt that there wasn't any earlier heavy sharp force cracking it. Did it lie in a bag earlier or something like that? Plastics like that don't just suddenly brake like that.
It sat on the front seat of my car and I went down some gravel roads (and not baja style either) but that shouldn't have caused anything to happen...unless it did.

If I'm not able to get this replaced will I at least be able to ship it off to Pentax for repair? Also, it didn't come with a warranty card, only a serial number card.

Last edited by SurferBud3; 07-27-2013 at 05:05 PM.
07-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They only come with serial number cards.
Are you in the US? You can contact support during the week and see what they tell you.
If you have to pay for it repair may cost more than just buying a replacement.
07-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
They only come with serial number cards.
Are you in the US? You can contact support during the week and see what they tell you.
If you have to pay for it repair may cost more than just buying a replacement.
US, yes...that's brutal.
07-28-2013, 12:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If it was warped then there would be extreme strain put on the plastic when mounted, so can you see if what remains of the mount looks straight and true?
07-28-2013, 04:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
If it was warped then there would be extreme strain put on the plastic when mounted, so can you see if what remains of the mount looks straight and true?
Interestingly only one crack is in a real potential weak spot (screw) but the other one is at the solid wide part of the mount. Though both are at the rim of the flanges so it looks like it somehow was mounted too tight, dunno how.
07-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #13

Original Poster
The seller (Emmy Photo) has agreed to replace the broken lens. Jolly good of them!
07-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SurferBud3 Quote
It was new. I've since contacted the seller about getting it replaced. Waiting to hear back.
I am thinking that they will just replace it. If they do ask a question about what you might have done to the lens, I would respond with a question of my own, asking if this was a return from another customer. I too can not remember any other AL plastic mount breaking - of any age.

07-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
GOsh that's a horrible thing to happen. Glad you got it sorted/

On the side note - seriously - a plastic mount ? Jeezz I avoid them as fire - all my lenses are metal mounted and I can't stand a thought that I'd need to mount a plastic mount lens on my cameras ( both DSLR and film) - man it's simple wrong :P Anyway How much do they save by fitting this crap instead of piece of metal - I wonder is it really worth that and then to deal with all the complains and returns. meh