Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #1

Camera Freezes after Hi Burst mode shots

Hi, I own a K-30 with the 18-135WR lens and I was using the Hi burst mode the other day when after a few shots the camera's screen froze. The on-off switch would not turn the camera off. I had to remove the battery and put it back on to fix the problem. This is the second time i've experienced this with this camera on two different occasions. Is this a known issue? I tried searching the forum but can't find anything, maybe i'm using the wrong keyword or something. Anyway,I'm wondering if i need to send my camera for service.

07-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The freezing issue is fairly common, and it's usually caused by a temporary drop in voltage. Make sure your batteries are fully charged to minimize the likelihood of future problems

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I had it a few times with my K-5 too, while shooting birds in flight. Good to know it's caused by voltage drops.
07-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any chance a slow SD card could also cause this? I've used the hi burst setting on my K-30 many times and never experienced that.

07-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The freezing issue is fairly common, and it's usually caused by a temporary drop in voltage. Make sure your batteries are fully charged to minimize the likelihood of future problems
Thanks Adam. I'll keep that in mind in the future.
07-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had the same problem with K30 and K-x. In most cases, I think it was voltage, but in at least one instance with each it was because I had taken enough shots to fill the buffer, and once the camera "caught up", it started working again. When it's voltage I always have to remove the batteries and start over. I was using #4 cards, so it might be the card was not fast enough to keep up. I have a faster #6 card now but haven't done any continuous shooting, just 2 or 3 shots, and that won't do the trick...

You can tell, or should be able to, by checking the red activity light at the bottom right corner of the K30. If it's staying solid red, it's still trying to load pictures onto the card. DO NOT shut it down until that light goes off. That's how I figured out it was my card, not voltage. I was about to pull the batteries and noticed the little red light still on so I waited...glad I did...