Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm thinking there may actually be something wrong with your camera, and its SR function, not centring the sensor to lens image, try a photo with another lens, but line up something directly in your view finder with the frame you see, and see it the image recorded is offset down and to the right, I'm thinking it has something to do with the auto levelling/horizon function not being quite right, and the extreme wide angle being most effected by it.

08-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I'm thinking there may actually be something wrong with your camera, and its SR function, not centring the sensor to lens image, try a photo with another lens, but line up something directly in your view finder with the frame you see, and see it the image recorded is offset down and to the right, I'm thinking it has something to do with the auto levelling/horizon function not being quite right, and the extreme wide angle being most effected by it.
I did this small test to confirm if this was possible with my lens at the 8mm setting, the suggestion that the automatic horizon adjustment causing this issue is certainly a valid hypothesis.

What a wonderful excuse to photograph the ceiling of my room...

Pentax K5IIs - Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5- 5.6 ASPH @ 8mm Camera sensor shift composition adjustment set to +24 X + +24 Y ( maximum adjustment)

I would turn off the automatic horizon adjustment feature on your K30 and check to see if this issue still occurs. Also trying to apply lens corrections in-camera may also be causing these "freezes"

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-16-2013 at 09:37 AM.
08-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ronnies Quote
Have you got the "Composition Adjustment" set to on? Might not show up on other lenses. Could explain the hood showing.

Ronnie
I am aware of this feature and it is turned off (or set to zero).
08-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
My K-30 works just great will all other Pentax glas I have. The described strange behaviour occurs just with the Sigma 8-16 lens in combination with one (of the two) original Li-Ion batteries. I dont use auto leveling and all in-camera corrections are off. I only use visual level check in the viewfinder which comes very handy with ultra wide angles.

I may return the camera but probably Pentax service will find out that the Sigma lens is the cause. I may return the lens and get a replacement to find out that the semi-freeze problem may be gone but the lens may have some other (optical) flaw. Your mileage may vary.

When the problem does occur I can still take pictures and instantly notice its there. I can adopt to the flaw simply by using the lens in MF. Or I could use the other Li_Ion battery which seems to do well. Or I might use Eneloops since they dont give me any reason to complain. Or finally, I could attach 8-16 to any of my other two cameras which are immune to this strange phenomenon.

Last edited by dragra; 08-16-2013 at 12:40 PM.
08-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is all very strange. I rented an 8-16 for use with my K5 and it performed flawlessly.

If it's causing some problem with the SR feature - what happens when you turn SR off?