Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using controls to make a space

when entering copyright information. I knew how to do this on my K-x but can't find a setting or words in the manual to tell me how on my K-30. Anyone?

08-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm pretty certain there isn't a 'space' available on the K-30 menu. I just checked mine and couldn't find one and I actually used an underscore '_' between my first and last names in both the 'Photographer' and 'Copyright Holder' fields.

I used the one in the third row down under the figure 2 but what could be another option is the symbol at the start of the fourth row (bottom row) which looks like a square bracket lying on it's side.
08-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Larry. After using that bracket it doesn't show up when viewing copyright info. I just wonder if that is actually the space symbol.
08-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Thanks Larry. After using that bracket it doesn't show up when viewing copyright info. I just wonder if that is actually the space symbol.
Hmmm...now you have me wondering!

When I checked that bracket symbol in the on-camera setting menu it showed up as it looks in the grid but I must admit I didn't click 'OK' to accept it as a change nor have I tried it to see how it appears in the EXIF data of a shot.

Like you I am now wondering if that is in fact the 'space' symbol.

08-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just took two photos and checked details. That's what that little thing is, a space key. Under my name in there is no symbol, just a space. You would think Pentax would give you that info in the manual. Well, now we know what it is, eh? Thanks for suggesting to use that one.
08-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

No problem and now we know what it is/does I can go and edit my settings to make use of it.

As you say it would have been nice if Pentax had told us what that symbol did. I checked the K-30 manual and my copy of Yvon Bourque's 'Pentax K30 - Everything you need to know .... and then some' e-book and neither gave a clue on how to get a 'space'.

I guess some things are meant to be discovered by the user!

Both the above books are excellent resources but I guess they didn't cover everything.
08-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #7

From page 223 of the manual under Available operations: Rear e-dial Moves the text input cursor. I haven't tried to set Photographer Information on my K-30 but this function may allow you to move the cursor to the right to leave a space between the words.

Regards

08-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The K-30 should behave the same as the K-x and K-5, I think, when inserting a space:

08-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluenose Quote
From page 223 of the manual under Available operations: Rear e-dial Moves the text input cursor. I haven't tried to set Photographer Information on my K-30 but this function may allow you to move the cursor to the right to leave a space between the words.
No, bluenose, that only moves the text cursor. I already tried that.

I thought it should too, rawr, but at the time, I couldn't remember how I did that on the K-x. I bought my K-x two years ago. I have a pretty good memory but forget simple things, especially things that I knew two years ago.
08-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It is actually quite common for that symbol to be used to denote a space on many if not most gadgets that don't have a real keyboard. I've just checked even my Samsung phone uses that symbol on the keyboard it shows on the touch screen.
Perhaps the writers of the Pentax manual are so gadget dependent that they assumed it would be obvious to everyone else.
08-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Perhaps the writers of the Pentax manual are so gadget dependent that they assumed it would be obvious to everyone else.
That's a possibility. I learned a long time ago never to assume anything. I'm not a gadget person in the phone region. My phone is only used to make and receive phone calls. I don't text.
08-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I'm not a gadget person in the phone region. My phone is only used to make and receive phone calls. I don't text.
I have always been tech savvy but so far I've managed to get through life without the need for a cell phone at all. I always used portable Ham Radios to communicate when out and about prior to becoming ill and now I spend virtually all my time at home the desk phone is more than good enough for me.
08-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

It's funny coming across ll these non-mobile phone people on a tech forum like this.
I too barely use my mobile phone. It stays in the car.
08-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm an IT person but I never saw the need to text someone when I really wanted to talk to them. I want to hear their voice.
08-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The K-30 should behave the same as the K-x and K-5, I think, when inserting a space:
rawr has it right, but you have to have caps on when inserting the space, it drove me nuts also as I had a space on photographer but an _ on the copyright field

Hans