Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-50 In-Depth Review

Here's the PentaxForums.com review of the new Pentax K-50 weather-sealed DSLR, perfect for users who are looking for a first DSLR, or as an upgrade over older Pentax models.

Pentax K-50 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Buy the K-50: k-50| B&H Photo Video

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
One minor criticism of the K-30 is it is easy to rotate the front e-wheel when the goal is to turn the camera on or off. (I say minor, because the e-wheel doesn't do anything when the camera is off, even if you do turn it). However, it looks like the K-50's body redesign reduces the likelihood of this happening. Can someone confirm or deny this?
08-06-2013, 09:54 AM - 2 Likes   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's the PentaxForums.com review of the new Pentax K-50 weather-sealed DSLR, perfect for users who are looking for a first DSLR, or as an upgrade over older Pentax models.

Pentax K-50 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Buy the K-50: k-50| B&H Photo Video
As a professional with 30 years experience in marketing, I would hope that Pentax re-thinks their current marketing "strategy" and quits introducing high priced cameras only to see them fade in popularity and wind up at half-price six months later. This does absolutely ZERO in furthering the camera consuming public's confidence in Pentax's ability to produce a superior, competitive camera that can stand toe-to-toe with Nikon and Canon.

Thankfully, the days of someone buying a Pentax H-3 in 1962 and using it until the bayonet mount Pentax MX came out in 1979 like I did are over. BUT I don't think a year is too long to establish a particular camera's place in the market.

Introducing the K-30 and touting it as a "totally great camera" and then dropping it in favor of the K-50 is a (sorry) totally dumb move. It would have been better to not have introduced the K-30 in the first place.

Believe me, I am trying to look out for the best interests of Pentax here and I'm sure my comments won't make much difference, but having been a mostly Pentax user since 1962 I feel enough of a loyalty to the brand that I have to speak up.

Strasburgbarry
08-06-2013, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by StrasburgBarry Quote
As a professional with 30 years experience in marketing, I would hope that Pentax re-thinks their current marketing "strategy" and quits introducing high priced cameras only to see them fade in popularity and wind up at half-price six months later. This does absolutely ZERO in furthering the camera consuming public's confidence in Pentax's ability to produce a superior, competitive camera that can stand toe-to-toe with Nikon and Canon.

Thankfully, the days of someone buying a Pentax H-3 in 1962 and using it until the bayonet mount Pentax MX came out in 1979 like I did are over. BUT I don't think a year is too long to establish a particular camera's place in the market.

Introducing the K-30 and touting it as a "totally great camera" and then dropping it in favor of the K-50 is a (sorry) totally dumb move. It would have been better to not have introduced the K-30 in the first place.

Believe me, I am trying to look out for the best interests of Pentax here and I'm sure my comments won't make much difference, but having been a mostly Pentax user since 1962 I feel enough of a loyalty to the brand that I have to speak up.

Strasburgbarry
I think you comment makes great sense, I agree with you.

08-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #5

Unfortunately we live in an age of instant gratification. What is great and the best and a must have is old hat a short time later. This is seen with mobile phones, cars, computers and cameras to name a few. A lot of companies in a never ending scramble to have the "latest" and most popular product get sucked into this cycle of continuous very short term new model releases. In the end they are just seen as trying too hard and not taken seriously. I would love to see a return to proper R&D and quality thought out products hitting the market. In reality I don't see this occurring. It's just my opinion but I feel that Pentax did achieve this with K7, K5 to K5ii progression of models. Keeping what's good and adding to it over time.
08-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #6

Response to MartinMcFly- I still stand by my comments. Smoothing out this cycle is what a good product development and marketing departments do. They do not allow a company to fall into this "never ending scramble" but this is what I see happening at Pentax.
08-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I just ordered a K-30, which is selling on Amazon for about $500, body only. Irresistable, to this K-01 owner (another great bargain) looking to enjoy fast phase detection focus and a real viewfinder. Didn't consider the K-50, am not into making videos.

Also, I live in Southern California, so I don't really need the WR lenses. Can always get one later if we move back East, right?

08-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StrasburgBarry Quote

Strasburgbarry
One option would have been to follow past examples and release the camera as a 'K30n' or 'K30 super' and build on the exisitng product name.
08-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #9
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
OK Adam.

How come the K50 isn't listed here: Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-5 II / IIs vs. Pentax K-30 vs. Pentax K-01 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com ?
08-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Also, I live in Southern California, so I don't really need the WR lenses.
WR is good for more than just rain. It also helps to keep out dust and dirt. They have dust and dirt down there in California, don't they?
08-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

StrasburgBarry - I agree with you. They are obviously a company scrambling for market share. Canon does it too (and they can afford it). Look at the Rebel line where every 6 months they are coming up with a new camera. I just hope they (Pentax) are looking at a new semi-pro level or pro level camera. I like the idea of a K50 but at my last concert shoot my camera equipment really got knocked around against the metal barriers.
08-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Could we get a comparison in low light AF like the K-5 vs K-5 II test?

I'd like to see how it compares to the K-30 and K-5 II and I
08-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #13

Don't know about the K-30 focusing comparison but I have a K-5 II and it INSTANTLY snaps any lens into focus under almost all, including the lowest, lighting conditions.

Strasburgbarry
10-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am relatively new to this site. I currently operate K-r, but need a camera that does interval / time lapse photography. I know K-3 definitely does that, but it is going to have some economical implications for me. I read in a K-50 review that it also has time interval photography. I haven't read in anywhere else.

Can someone please confirm if K-50 allows that.

If not, I will go and get K-3.
10-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Suhail Quote
I am relatively new to this site. I currently operate K-r, but need a camera that does interval / time lapse photography. I know K-3 definitely does that, but it is going to have some economical implications for me. I read in a K-50 review that it also has time interval photography. I haven't read in anywhere else.

Can someone please confirm if K-50 allows that.

If not, I will go and get K-3.
Your K-r will also do time lapse photography. You just need to read the manual. Rec. Mode 2, interval shooting.