Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2014, 05:45 AM   #31

Just a question if anyone can help me... when shotting at C.AF.. and Hi-speed shotting is there any configuration (like in Canon for example) to give priority to the focus instead of giving priority to just shooting....
Thankx....

09-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
I just ordered a K-30, which is selling on Amazon for about $500, body only. Irresistable, to this K-01 owner (another great bargain) looking to enjoy fast phase detection focus and a real viewfinder. Didn't consider the K-50, am not into making videos.

Also, I live in Southern California, so I don't really need the WR lenses. Can always get one later if we move back East, right?
I'm looking to upgrade from my K100D which has been a great transitional trainer from the 35mm K1000, but living here in Maine need something a bit more resistant to our sometimes hostile environment. AV would be nice now and then too.
I tend to be a little rough on equipment so need something simple and rugged.

My PENTAX Optio W80 has all those features along with electronic zoom but I like the flexibility of the SLR.
Does the K-50 do internal zoom?
Don't need a lot of bells and whistles nor do I want to spend more than $500.
Is the K-50 what I should be looking at or is there another model I should be checking out?

---------- Post added 09-20-14 at 01:25 PM ----------

I'm finding K-50 bodies out there (Sept. 2014) selling for between $360 and $660.
Not much in the used or refurbed market it seems.
Any deals out there I'm missing?
09-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle Jaque Quote
I'm looking to upgrade from my K100D which has been a great transitional trainer from the 35mm K1000, but living here in Maine need something a bit more resistant to our sometimes hostile environment. AV would be nice now and then too.
I tend to be a little rough on equipment so need something simple and rugged.
"Rough" is a relative term and only you can determine what you mean by that. To be blunt, your Optio is going to handle more abuse than any SLR type camera. However, with that in mind....

The K-30 / K-50 is a good weather resistant camera when paired with a WR lens. Depending on what you are shooting, a lot of us like the DA 18-135 WR lens - - but be forewarned, you are unlikely to find this body/lens in your price range. The lens uses an internal motor for nearly silent focusing and the lens's optical characteristics are very good. You indicate you are in Maine. Go over to https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/179869-da-1...can-do-47.html and/or search for posts by Normhead. This Canadian outdoor photographer has some really great shots taken with this lens.

If you were okay with your K1000 and K100D, you won't be disappointed with the K-50.