Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #1

Lense converter?

Hello, I recently purchased the Pentax K-30 which I love. I had an older Pentax Super SLR with a Pentax - M Zoom 1:4.5 80mm-200mm lens and two flashes. I was excited to read my zoom, older flashes and wideangle lens would work with the K-30. But sadly only the wideangle lens works. I'm embarrassed to ask if I was naive in believing that the zoom and flashes would work? The wide angle has an "A" on the lens which I set the lens to and it works but the zoom doesn't have that option. Is there a lens converter I can purchase to make the zoom compatable? And any chance there's a solution for the flashes? Thank you for any suggestins you have.

08-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Janice, both of your lenses should work but without the 'A' contact you need to change a menu setting on the camera first. it is called something like "Allow aperture Ring", not sure where it is on the k-30 menu. Also that lens can only be used in 'M' mode with stop down metering. Which sounds more complicated than it is once you have things setup. Read this article to see how to use older lenses on your camera:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

Some additional info on the different lens series:
Pentax Lens Terminology

The flashes are a little harder. Pentax moved to P-TTL with digital, I think the early digital cameras still used TTL but certainly the k-30 does not. Anyway, those flashes can be used but only in manual mode, as they are almost certainly TTL, so no automatic exposure. That's the simplistic answer, the longer answer is they can be used to some degree depending on their capabilities. Post the model numbers and you might get better information.
08-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Janice Quote
And any chance there's a solution for the flashes? Thank you for any suggestins you have.
If you will tell us the brand and model of the flashes, we can help you with how to set them properly on the K-30. Older flashes can make use of manual or auto settings - if these flashes have them.

In addition, please list the information before you try to get your older flashes to work. Some older flashes can damage the camera electronics with repeated use.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 08-05-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Concern about trigger voltage
08-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
K-30 and TTL Flash

Hi,
Thank you for your response. The flash I used with my Pentak ME film SLR is an AF280T. I tried it again on my Pentax K-30 and it seems to work fine in all the modes: TTL Auto and MS (manual setting?) H and L (high and low?). So I am really happy about that. However what you said about older flashes sometimes damaging cameras is very scary. Could you give me more info or an example of that, please? Thank you! Janice

08-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the trigger voltage list: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages You should be fine with an AF280T I use AF200T often. Note that the voltage listed is 7.8, some older flashes used voltages over 100 and those are the ones to be wary of.
08-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hello,
Thank you so much for the info and I will try to find the way to change the aperature in the menu. Also I appreciate your referral to the two articles. I will certainly read them. Sincerely, Janice
08-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

In menu, go to the last tab which is Custom settings, and then go to the last page (4), and find the Aperture Ring setting under #23. This should be set to the 2nd setting (Enable) and left there (no reason to ever not enable it).

As for the flash, I am sorry to have scared you. As others had said, you will be fine with the 280T. It will work exactly as it does on the ME; that is, you are best off using the green or red AUTO modes, but you probably have to adjust for aperture and ISO speed between the camera and the flash (shutter speed should automatically give you 1/180th). The TTL might have worked for you out of dumb luck, but it is an entirely different kind of TTL that does not work properly with any of the more recent bodies including the K-30 - it just blasts off at full power and will most often over-expose. You should be good with that the flash, though, as auto modes are most consistent (bounce or direct) once you understand how to set them.
08-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hello Again,
Thank you, thank you! In the menu (the very last option!) I found what you were talking about. It is called "Using Aperature Ring Reset Custom Function." I tried it with my zoom lens and the teleconverter and they worked perfectly! I can't thank you enough. Janice

08-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #9

Original Poster
I see our emails probably crossed because I found exactly what you described. I admit I need to famiiarize myself more with the flash but thank you for your explanation.I did notice the TTL gave a very over exposed picture so I will use the AUTO modes. Thank you, again!