Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Cheap batteries tried....

Li-Ions that is. Eneloops are great but I was determined to find a UK available Li-Ion DLi109 that's as good as the Pentax one at a low price (£5-£10, the Pentax is about £45). My first 2 attempts were usable but very low capacity, about 450mAh, so poor that I didn't try to measure them accurately. A big give-away clue was that they only took an hour to charge, the Pentax one takes almost 3hrs from completely flat. I then sent for a DSTE Chinese battery because the cells were supposed to be made by Sanyo, they were shipped from China (Amazon UK order) but they measure up to the Pentax, very similar performance at a measured 950mAh at 1A discharge and take 2hr45m to charge from dead flat, again a good sign. Perhaps people can add their good/bad images and/or experiences.

Here's the three tried, DSTE on the right as stated being the best.........

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
08-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations. Here in the US Wasabi batteries from Amazon have been very reliable for me.
08-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Congratulations. Here in the US Wasabi batteries from Amazon have been very reliable for me.
I've looked but haven't found Wasabi in the UK.
08-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
Forum Member

i ordered one off Duracell direct, it lasts nearly as long as the original. It doesn't seem to be a Duracell battery but a ''2 Power'' one, it was around £12

08-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I second Wasabi. I just ordered Wasabi directly from the US. No problems shipping to the Netherlands at all.
08-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's one I bought for less than USD $7. The ebay listing said it was Li-ion though I see the battery does not say so. (Note that in the OP pics above, the first one has no indication of Li-ion.) The sticker has "Cells made in China" covers an original saying made in Japan. I haven't done thorough testing, but the battery is not as good as the PENTAX OEM. I did get well over 200 pics, though, and that's enough for what I wanted. (I also got a cheap AA battery holder.)
08-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Any battery that measures 7.4v or thereabouts and is shaped similarly will be a Li-Ion.